Hotmail Now Works Using The Mail App

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ntransit, Jan 12, 2009.

1. ntransit macrumors newbie

Just set up an account using 'other', enter your email and password and it should work. I downloaded all my messages and am not paying for a thing.

Microsoft are finally allowing pop access I guess.

Try it.

2. Mattzane15 macrumors member

3. nohite macrumors member

didn't work for me. do you need to manually setup server addresses etc?

default on mine says pop3.live.com, but it gives a error saying user name or password is incorrect.

4. Artofilm macrumors 6502a

Artofilm

I just tried my iPhone as well. I guess you could say it works, but not in the way most would think.

Here's what it said...

"A Windows live Hotmail Plus subscription is reuired to use Hotmail accounts with Mail. Visit get.live.com/mailplus/features for details. You can also access you Hotmail account on the web at mail.live.com"

So in other words, if you have a Hotmail Plus subscription, it will work on the Mail app.

Edit: After that notification shows up, you are able to press the "Next" button, which then adds the Hotmail account anyways. A disclamer then shows up saying that this Mail account may not be able to Send or Receive emails, but trying to send and receive mail proves it working. I got every piece of mail I sent and received!

5. akame macrumors member

6. Artofilm macrumors 6502a

Artofilm

I find it weird that it told me that I couldn't use this account with a Hotmail Plus subscription, yet it still works fine, even though I don't have hotmail Plus.

...Maybe when you set the Hotmail up on your Mail app, Hotmail automatically puts you on a Hotmail Plus trial?

7. ntransit thread starter macrumors newbie

When you've added your email address and password just click 'next' when it says that you have to have a hotmail plus subscription.

They'll probably cut it off but it's pretty cool.

8. Artofilm macrumors 6502a

Artofilm

Most likely, but it will be cool while it lasts!

9. jlocalled macrumors member

jlocalled

It's been expected that Microsoft will launch POP access for free Hotmail for a while. There was an article from somewhere that said it would launch sometime this year.

10. Sdevante macrumors 6502

11. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Even after I set it up I get a message that says "The user name or password for "xxxxx@live.com" is incorrect."
    And I know it's right.
    Hotmail + mail.app = epic fail!

12. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

13. Artofilm macrumors 6502a

Artofilm

Here's what worked for me, for anyone who's interested!
    Be sure to enter your name as entered in your Hotmail account. (ie. when you log into Hotmail it says, "Hi ------")
    Be sure to put "Hotmail" in the description
    Make sure your address and password are correct.

This is just what worked for me. My fiancé just did it with her ipod touch too with the same things.

Attached Files:

14. saberahul macrumors 68040

After going through the process it states that my username or password is incorrect. I tried it on my computer and could log in but on iPod I get that message and have tried it about 3 times.

15. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Just tried it and it doesn't seem to work.

16. Artofilm macrumors 6502a

Artofilm

Hmm, well isn't this just stupid. Keep trying to get it working guys, maybe one of these times it will just click!

17. pjgeer macrumors member

It worked for me. Added a new Account in settings, got the not supported message, hit next and it was set up. Now my ipod is full of hotmail e-mails. I don't have a plus account, it is a hotmail from at least 14 years ago. It had populated the discription with my e-mail address, I edited that after it was set up, to Hotmail.

Pj

18. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

19. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Pics or it didn't happen.

20. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

yep, just like this for me too, 'cept on the jesus phone.

21. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Hmm... I too got the not supported message. Then I went into my mail and the account was there but every time it went to retrieve the mail it said there was something wrong with my account like a password/username issue. That is not the case because when I login on the computer nothing like that happens and the information I put in is the same.

22. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

hmm, sorry it's not working for some of you, but i don't know what to tell yuh, it's working fine here...

23. pjgeer macrumors member

oK pic coming

No Problem,

took screen shots on the touch and will post in my mobile me gallery.

Will post link shortly, http://gallery.me.com/pdegeer/100171 done. Only leaving this up for a couple of days, then pulling them.

Only thing bugging me, is that my folders are not there, but I can suffer through that.

Pj

24. yalag macrumors 65816

since its pop access, that means once you fetch for it from your iphone, its gone from the account right?