Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
Oh please. You guys arent cheap. You spend thosands of dollars on Macs every year.

I'm NOT cheap AT ALL. I hate fakes, knock offs, and all that. I espically hate fake cereal. *cough* Safeway Select *cough* Ewww. It just doesnt taste the same. I think you should pay AT LEAST 12% at a casual restuarant.

I know, I'm a rich snobby city boy. :rolleyes:

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
Cheap? Frugal? Whoever eyes' are looking at me. No metro passes, jogging and walking instead, no heat this winter, just sweaters, not too bad until I started seeing my breath, but that was only for a couple of weeks.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
w_parietti22 said:
I hate fakes, knock offs, and all that.
I agree.

I refuse to carry/wear any knockoff purses /clothing because I don't want people to assume everything else I own is fake as well. Such snobbery, I know. Hee.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
devilot said:
I agree.

I refuse to carry/wear any knockoff purses /clothing because I don't want people to assume everything else I own is fake as well. Such snobbery, I know. Hee.

i agree there. however i am ok with buying generic chicken soup or off-brand crackers and stuff. food is 'disposable' and i don't like to "flush" my $ down the toilet when unnecessary. i do like to go out to dinner though and i tip at 20% almost always.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
Abstract said:
In countries like Australia, where we don't really leave tips, then yes, the price of the food includes the price of the service and waiter.

I like the fact that you're not obliged to tip here. Me and my friends only tip when the food and the service is really good, and even then it's usually only about $5. It's just not really the done thing here.

erickkoch

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2003
Kalifornia
I'm too cheap to separate my whites and colors at the laundromat. I just throw it all in one washer instead of paying for two. I guess it's because I'm both lazy and cheap.

Unfortunatly, this causes my white towels, socks, underware, sheets, etc. to be various shades of grey and blue. I once threw in a burgundy sweatshirt and ended up with lots of pink socks and underware.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
There's a small (really small) hot dog/weiner factory near my school. I get 6 5" hot dogs, and go down the street to Cumberland Farms for a big soda.
(6*$0.27)+$0.74= lunch (and dinner if I make it in time) for $2.36 (including tax). I also grab a few packets of Heinz Mild Taco Sauce at Cumby's too.

Takumi

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2005
Gunma, Japan
Bouth 3 cars for the combined total of $500AUD

2 had rego, one was defected and I've already onsold one for $800

Takumi

(Remember the KE55 adventures, see previous locked thread)

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
miloblithe said:
Essentially, you are stealing. Please don't eat at restaurants if you don't want to tip.
That's ***king stupid, and quite offensive.

The restaurants set their own prices and should take into account all their costs, if they don't remember to account for their staff wages they can't expect me to make up the difference.

If I'm expected to estimate how much the staff should be paid maybe I should be allowed to estimate how much I think I should pay for the food.

What should I be leaving on top of the bill for them to pay their electric bill? gas? rent?

Takumi

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2005
Gunma, Japan
Come to the land down under, I don't know a single person that has ever left a tip at a restraunt.

Aussie's are gennerally tight, even Cabbies give you correct change.

Takumi

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
Takumi said:
...I don't know a single person that has ever left a tip at a restraunt...
But is that because they're tight or because they don't feel they had service that was so good as to warrant a tip?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
mpw said:

The restaurants set their own prices and should take into account all their costs, if they don't remember to account for their staff wages they can't expect me to make up the difference.

If I'm expected to estimate how much the staff should be paid maybe I should be allowed to estimate how much I think I should pay for the food.

But the "system" in the US and Canada work differently, so it's hard to say. I haven't lived in Jersey, but as someone who has lived in England, grew up in Canada, and now lives in Oz, I can understand why you and non-North Americans think it's stupid that we have to tip. However, we do. Its just a cultural difference. The waiters don't get paid much at all except for tips. Problem is that some waiters will get paid around $20 per hour on average because of their tips, although many places just add 15% to your bill now so that the kitchen staff can share in the "tips."

You can rebel and not pay tips, but you're really only hurting the waiters and waitresses at the end. They serve a certain number of tables in an hours, and if one table doesn't tip them, it's hard. You took their table for 68 minutes and they only make a few bucks an hour.

So in a way, I do agree that if you don't feel the need to tip, please don't eat out, because you can't afford to do so in North America. Tipping is a part of the cost.

jadekitty24

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
The poor section of Connecticut
mpw said:

What should I be leaving on top of the bill for them to pay their electric bill? gas? rent?
The waitresses make below minimum wage, because of the "tip" system. While some places are changing their policies (including a tip in the final price) some still exist on the same old standards as day one. Maybe this is because I happen to be on what some consider "the bottom rung" of society, and maybe it's because I have waitressed and know how grueling it can be, how mean AND cheap a lot of people are, but if I received good service at any restaurant I always leave huge tips. That's another place I'm not cheap on. I think just for the fact that they have to bite their tongue while people treat them like garbage (and they only do so because they can) waitresses deserve tips. If the service sucked, oh yeah...screw 'em.

Abstract said:
Problem is that some waiters will get paid around $20 per hour on average because of their tips, although many places just add 15% to your bill now so that the kitchen staff can share in the "tips."
Yeah, but they have to kiss a lot of ass to do so.

Abstract said:
You can rebel and not pay tips, but you're really only hurting the waiters and waitresses at the end. They serve a certain number of tables in an hours, and if one table doesn't tip them, it's hard. You took their table for 68 minutes and they only make a few bucks an hour.
Exactly. I can't stress this enough.

Takumi

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2005
Gunma, Japan
mpw said:
But is that because they're tight or because they don't feel they had service that was so good as to warrant a tip?
People just don't tip in Australia.

It's just not a part of our culture

Ttakumi

Applespider

macrumors G4
I tip (even in the UK) but the size of the tip will depend on the service. If it's OK, then they'll get 10-12%. If it's good, it'll be 15% or so - unless they've asked for less specifically.

Case in point, we were in Chicago a year or so back and went to a small cafe for breakfast. The first day, we were served by a very pleasant woman and the way that the various bills worked out, we must have left close on $10 for a $40 breakfast. But she'd been really helpful so we figured it was fair enough.

The next day, we went back to the restaurant. The waitress this time was OK but when she gave us our bill, she'd worked out the % she wanted to the cent and written TIP in huge letters with multiple underlinings. We were pretty insulted so instead of giving her what her colleague had the day before (basically, the bills without requesting change), she got exactly what she'd requested... to the cent. And a note back on the bill pointing out that she'd have had more if she hadn't insulted us.

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
Just to clarify miloblithes' quote regarding "stealing" and the general situation regarding US tipping policy (for those outside our borders).

Most States pay tipped employees far less than minimum wage. Here in Texas, it is between $2.13 - $2.38/hr. Most states are in this ballpark, although Oregon pays full minimum wage ($7.35/hr iirc).

Of course, with tips, many end up making a good hourly wage. Still (and here's where milo's comment comes in), tipped employees are required to claim about 9% of their sales for taxes. So everytime someone does not tip, the 9% effectively comes out of their pockets - which can be construed as stealing.

sorry to continue the OT conversation.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
That's definitely very rude for a US waiter or waitress to write on a tip (unless it's a large party and that's the restaurant's explicitely stated policy).

Also, keep in mind that while some US waiters and waitresses make $20+ per hour, most make nowhere near that much, and many make below minimum wage with tips, like those who work in a value chain or such in a poorer area.

Takumi

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2005
Gunma, Japan
award hospitality wages in Aus are around the $18-22 dollar per hour region, keeping in mind that all tips at the pub where I work are put in a jar, and at the end of the night it might total $5 (on a good night.)

All tips over the course of the year are then used to hold the staff party.

Takumi

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
I love generic stuff at the grocery store. Give me Shaw's brand anyday. I try to not be 'penny wise, pound foolish,' but sometimes toys just call my name. :(

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
iBlue said:
however i am ok with buying generic chicken soup or off-brand crackers and stuff.
Definitely agree w/ ya there. Plus, buying in bulk (for non perishables like tp/ sponges/ etc.) can help save a bit, too! I <3 Costco.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
Takumi said:
Come to the land down under, I don't know a single person that has ever left a tip at a restraunt.

Aussie's are gennerally tight, even Cabbies give you correct change.

Takumi

I've said I tip occasionally when the food and service are really good. Though it's never really that much...

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Back in the days of the dotcomgoldrushmegasalaries I used to be very frivolous with my money, because the salaries, benefits and bonuses we were getting were insane and you'd just pay off your credit cards every month and still have plenty left to hang out at The Groucho 3 days a week. :D

I'm more frugal now though... I shunned credit cards a few years ago, and I like a bit of a bargin. :D though I enjoy a good evening out, and those frequently run into the hundreds... espcially when a lady is involved. :D

florencevassy

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2004
Princeton, NJ
Great thread !

I am frugal about some things but I have a habit of paying for convenience.

My thoughts –

I leave the house at about 6:00 AM and get home between 8:00 – 9:00 PM (when I am lucky) so I buy my lunch a lot and eat a lot of takeout (I try to eat healthy stuff thought like soup from the organic grocery store, veggie pizza or burritos, bean curd and vegetables etc). Also, I love bottled water and probably spend too much money on that.

In the winter I keep the heat as low as possible and wear lots of layers in the house and
Use 2-3 blankets when it is really cold.

I save money by not having a car. It is inconvenient since I live in New Jersey
And I will probably get a car soon, but in the meantime it saves me money. I rent
A car occasionally and take the bus or train.

One thing I won’t pay for is getting my nails done – I do my nails myself or
Just cut them really short. Also it is horrible but I always put off getting my hair trimmed, I figure if I only see the hairdresser only 3-4 times a year I am saving money.

I believe in tipping for good service, if the service was good I will tip 15%.

Also, erickkoch who said he was too cheap to separate their whites and colors at the Laundromat should try Shout Color Catcher (Drugstore.com has it priced at US$5.99 but it is cheaper in most supermarkets. You throw a sheet in with each wash, I love it.

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
We try to give between 15-20% tip if the service was good. If they're REALLY good we'll go higher than 20%.

If it was bad it won't go past 10%. Sorry, but if they wanted more of our money they should have worked harder for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.