How Apple destroys small developers

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by enduranceav, Feb 9, 2017.

1. enduranceav, Feb 9, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2017

enduranceav macrumors newbie

enduranceav

We have developed Endurance Antivirus with hard work and a lot of time / money spent.

Last December we got a bad review from a client with an old osx and we've discovered a bug in our antivirus that didn't allowed the user to remove infected files.
    We developed an update with bugfix, we asked for expedite review, nothing. After 1 month they accepted the expedited review but surprise: 2 months have passed and our app is still in Waiting for review.

Also another 2 apps developed by us are still in waiting for review.
    We emailed Apple review team numerous times, they answered with the same template email. Apple has destroyed our reputation.
    Because we are so small they ignore us. Other big brand apps in the same category got updated numerous times, they are making big money to Apple, that's why our company means nothing to them.

2. 1337watchdog macrumors newbie

1337watchdog

Yes this is happening to some developers which Apple I think does not like or maybe it is some kind internal issue due the Boom of Antivirus Software from the Apple AppStore.

Also the abuse of the keyword "antivirus" is ignored by Apple, putting small developers or legit Antivirus developers in lower position.

There are lots of apps which does not have anything to do with an antivirus using the keyword antivirus abusing the Apple system.

But how we all know Apple does not tell anything.

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

You realize you're violating the developer terms and conditions by posting these screenshots right?

4. 1337watchdog macrumors newbie

1337watchdog

There is no terms and conditions specifying that ;)

5. kylekai macrumors member

Have you tried calling them? (800) 633-2152. It's often faster than email and more effective.

6. 960design, Feb 12, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017

960design macrumors 68020

I truly sympathize with your frustration. While I disagree, as Apple has helped my company significantly.

7. enduranceav thread starter macrumors newbie

enduranceav

At beginning it was all fine, I don't know what happened in December, or what I have done to make them ignore me.

8. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

What happens when you dump the App Store?

9. enduranceav thread starter macrumors newbie

enduranceav

I thought I will receive a satisfactory answer from Apple but they don't care about small businesses.
    After I have started this topic, they put all my apps in review and asked me some details about them but they put all three in rejected app. This way, they don't have to answer to their supervisors about the whole issue.
    So, my apps are still unavailable in the appstore. :(

10. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I wonder if it would be a different story with other app developers. Amoeba has a following and where quite popular before the App store and continue to do so. They already had a name for themselves and were putting out nice software prior to. Can't say the same for other companies. Would be interesting to see though.

11. enduranceav thread starter macrumors newbie

enduranceav

I have tried macupdate but no success because anyone can post a review there, there is no moderating. Also in the developer account there is only one app, the others are published but not on my account.

12. enduranceav thread starter macrumors newbie

enduranceav

I'm so upset, I thought it will be a good business getting into appstore, all i got was a waste of time and money and people trust because clients were waiting for a bugfixed version, others for a free trial version

13. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I'm sorry you're having a terrible time. OSX needs people like you who care and who are developing good apps. Are you able to send out a message to all your users about your experience?

This might be a good time to reflect on your strategy for the next few years. Will you be able to make a living selling anti-virus? Apple is locking down OSX more and more. You / your team are clearly very skilled programmers if you can write antivirus apps. Maybe you can find a different area of programming that has a brighter future for you and your team?

14. enduranceav thread starter macrumors newbie

enduranceav

@RedTomato thank you for your advices, all I'm thinking right now is that I lost a great amount of time and my clients trust, because of a small bug that I have fixed it but Apple didn't approved the update in 2 months. We have no chance to sell independently, we tried on macupdate and results were small.

15. enduranceav thread starter macrumors newbie

enduranceav

It seems like my case is isolated. Does anyone else have issues with app review?

16. enduranceav thread starter macrumors newbie

enduranceav

We have received Opswat Antimalware Certificate for Endurance Antivirus. Hey, Apple, when will you release my new version?

17. enduranceav thread starter macrumors newbie

enduranceav

Again, I have one app in review since March 23th :( It's the free version of our antivirus.

18. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

If you've been waiting this long on Apple, I think you should be planning on moving away from the App Store...

19. enduranceav thread starter macrumors newbie

enduranceav

They reviewed at a moment 2 of my apps, now it's in review since March 23th with Expedite request :(

20. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

21. enduranceav thread starter macrumors newbie

enduranceav

I cannot promote it enough outside app store.

22. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

Be interesting to see just how much sales of Mac magazines has decreased over the past decade.
    The number of Mac devoted websites seems down too.
    Those both make promotion much harder than it used to be.
    I doubt a twitter acct and a Facebook page come close to making up for those older promotional channels.
    Even inside the App store that thing they call a search engines suitable for hundreds of thousands of apps makes it very hard to make new stuff findable.