andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2011
This is the sole reason I won't be upgrading to the iPhone X. There are so many scenarios where I wouldn't be able to use FaceID where I currently use TouchID. In a car cradle, while my phone is laying flat on my desk, when I'm laying in bed and want to check a message/alarm etc on my bedside table. I'd end up having to type my passcode in so many throughout the day whereas TouchID is perfect to me. The only time I have to enter my passcode is when I restart my phone.
When using Apple Pay I have my phone authenticated and ready to go before it's even fully out of my pocket using TouchID. I believe FaceID requires you to get your phone out, look at it to authenticate and then and then interact again in order to load up your wallet, it'll be such a longer process.
It feels like such a massive step backwards and a real disappointment as I love everything else about the X but this is a deal breaker to me.

Edit: I have edited my post to say "whilst in a car cradle" to be more specific as many in here seem to think accusing me of dangerous driving is on topic. Obviously I don't use my phone while driving my car. I am talking about unlocking a phone docked in car whilst stationary for tasks such as starting/changing music and starting the sat nav.

Last edited:

TheIgster

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2017
Edmonton, AB
This is the sole reason I won't be upgrading to the iPhone X. There are so many scenarios where I wouldn't be able to use FaceID where I currently use TouchID. Driving, while my phone is laying flat on my desk, when I'm laying in bed and want to check a message/alarm etc on my bedside table. I'd end up having to type my passcode in so many throughout the day whereas TouchID is perfect to me. The only time I have to enter my passcode is when I restart my phone.
When using Apple Pay I have my phone authenticated and ready to go before it's even fully out of my pocket using TouchID. I believe FaceID requires you to get your phone out, look at it to authenticate and then and then interact again in order to load up your wallet, it'll be such a longer process.
It feels like such a massive step backwards and a real disappointment as I love everything else about the X but this is a deal breaker to me.

You shouldn't be using your phone PERIOD, when driving.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
Apple, these days, cares more about features than usability. That's the difference from now and when Jobs was running it. His focus was making devices USABLE, not making features usable. Apple wants a full screen front, so they removed the button to do it. In reality they made the iPhone harder to use.

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2011
I unlock the phone to change playlists/radio stations, skip tracks etc if I'm stationary. Yes it's probably against the rules but in reality it's perfectly safe and takes a split second and no different from interaction with a Bluetooth handsfree to start/end a call.

Last edited:

jamesarm97

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
Same here, I will be in bed listening to pandora and my phone will buzz on the night stand so I pick it up and can easily unlock before it is even in front of my face. I usually just glance over at it (same if it is on the desk). I hope the face id works at a pretty good angle.

TheIgster

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2017
Edmonton, AB
I unlock the phone to change playlists/radio stations, skip tracks etc if I'm stationary at traffic lights etc. Yes it's against the rules but in reality it's perfectly safe and takes a split second and no different from interaction with a Bluetooth handsfree to start/end a call.

cj31016

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2016
Denver, CO
Its cumbersome.

I agree, based off what I've seen, it looks cumbersome. I use Guided Access all the time to prevent my kids from getting into crap they shouldn't. No more triple-click to lock the phone conveniently. Or what about the fact that many of us unlock our devices before we even look at them? It's just muscle memory. I know these are all first world probs, but I'm really hoping they have the iPhone X in the Apple Stores to play with before Oct 27, as I'm not sure I'm going to pick one up at this point.

Reactions: formerpc

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
One hands-on reviewer on YouTube had issues with face ID. This is like beta hardware until next year.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
This is the sole reason I won't be upgrading to the iPhone X. There are so many scenarios where I wouldn't be able to use FaceID where I currently use TouchID. Driving, while my phone is laying flat on my desk, when I'm laying in bed and want to check a message/alarm etc on my bedside table. I'd end up having to type my passcode in so many throughout the day whereas TouchID is perfect to me. The only time I have to enter my passcode is when I restart my phone.

You speak my mind, but even still without TouchID compared with an iPhone 6.. it is the best iphone in the history of iPhones... unless I switch to a Galaxy or Google Pixel or something.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
Apple knows its bad, technical issues in integrating, they failed, tried to make the best of it. Period. Wait till next year's iPhone XT. (T for TouchID).

bigscotal

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2008
UK

Pretty much agree with most of this. What you say about the handset lying on your desk at work, and having to key in your PIN to unlock it, that seems like a real issue to me.

If I really really liked the X I would be tempted to push the boat out and go for it, but the face recognition idea puts me right off.

Reactions: formerpc

utahman130

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2012
One thing I'm confused about with Face ID is when it's dark, does the light on the notch turn on and illuminate your face, or does the IR sensor take care of it without turning on the light?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Many thought the same thing about TouchID. We will all need to use it ourselves so we can form real world opinions.

For example the OP mentioned a bunch of scenarios where I just use "Hey Siri".

Driving, "Hey Siri read messages", "Hey Siri Call xxxx", "Hey Siri give me directions to....." etc etc.

In the office, there are times that "Hey Siri" maybe inappropriate however in those situations you "generally" want to look at your phone anyway. And if you are raising your phone to see it, it can see you.

On the nightstand. Again use "Hey Siri" or if you want to see something on the screen it will see you.

I'm being bit of an apologist because I was critical of TouchID and they proved me wrong. So I'll give them the benefit of the doubt this time....at least until I use it and prove them wrong.

Ryan1524

macrumors 68000
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
If FaceID works so fast that it's not even noticeable, then it's almost like not even having an authentication screen.

This is better. Invisible technology.
[doublepost=1505251604][/doublepost]
One thing I'm confused about with Face ID is when it's dark, does the light on the notch turn on and illuminate your face, or does the IR sensor take care of it without turning on the light?

It has an IR light, and the dot projector. It's using non-visible spectrum of light to guide the process.

thadoggfather

Suspended
Oct 1, 2007
I think they do know this, the question is do they care? or will it hurt their sales this go round?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.