How can Apple still justify a 1 year warranty

Discussion in 'iMac' started by superdudeo, Jul 24, 2011.

1. superdudeo macrumors regular

on such a premium piece of kit? This is still holding me back from pulling the trigger on an iMac and I'm not prepared to purchase what should already be as standard.

I'm pretty sure consumer regulations would negate this anyway. A piece of kit worth over a grand would definitely be expected to last over 1 year. (UK regulations). It's a shame Apple haven't at least given two years as standard by now.

2. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

You're complaining about a 1 year warranty? And a 150 dollar 2 year extension? That's dirt cheap...

3. Mitchelino macrumors 6502

It would be nice if we got 2-3 years warranty for free. I don't know of any computer manufacturers who offer more than a one year standard warranty. Then again, I haven't looked as I'm only interested in Macs.

I don't think they have to offer more than one year. The fact that I have used this Mac 3 years with no problems is great. A warranty is nice to have, but it's even nicer when the warranty isn't needed.

4. superdudeo thread starter macrumors regular

Not for the UK it's not. It's more expensive than that. I don't understand why people seem to accept paying extra when a product of this type should be lasting a lot longer than 1 year.

5. superdudeo thread starter macrumors regular

That is true but with these devices getting smaller and smaller, things can go wrong quite easily. I would be mightily :mad: if my iMac broke after 13 months. Also apple don't have to provide excellent cust service but they do. Why can't they provide a reasonable warranty term.

6. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

It isn't apples fault that the people in your country think they are better than everyone else.

There...I said it.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Warranty is a thing created by manufacturers, the law doesn't obligate them to provide any (at least in the EU). However, the law does require manufacturers to guarantee that their product has a reasonable lifespan. This is definitely longer than 1 year for iMac. In Finland, the consumer protection bureau has stated that a computer should have a lifespan of at least 2 years and the manufacturer is obligated to fix it during that time. After that it depends on the price and other factors.

8. 2ndname macrumors member

Or, you can think of the actual final retail price being retail + apple care. Then think of Apple being kind enough for you to decide if you want to skimp on the apple care and buy yourself something else with it.

9. Dnix macrumors 6502

Most problems will happen in the first year, after that you're usually good for a while. Seems reasonable to me, I dunno. Then you can choose if you want the extra warranty or not.

You can find legit Applecare for way cheaper off ebay, not as many on there as there used to be. But still, good prices...

They supposedly changed their policy about Applecare purchased this way. But I recently bought some, called up a customer service rep and they activated it with no problem. I told them it was a gift.

10. Papanate macrumors regular

I think they should keep it at 1 year. If they extended it to 3 years and did away with Apple Care...then that warranty costs would be tacked onto the products. Do you want to pay more upfront...or are you just wanting more 'free' stuff because you are entitled to 'free' stuff?

The level of service Apple care provides is expensive...I imagine they aren't making much if at all on the extended warranty....well except for ensuring customer loyalty...which these days is priceless.

11. sbb155 macrumors 6502

a lot of credit cards double your warranty btw --- making applecare irrelevant, for only one extra year

12. Papanate macrumors regular

A Credit Card warranty won't answer your questions about your iMac!<G>

13. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

No, but if it gets seriously messed up, it will help.

14. Dresevski macrumors 6502

They can justify it by making solid products, which they still do. I have owned several Macs and never called AppleCare. Besides, many of us do things to the computers that would void the warranty anyway and many problems are generated by the owners. I do not feel slighted in any way whatsoever. 1 year is pretty standard.

15. zarf2007 macrumors regular

Thats a fact! now stop bitching about it!

:)

16. superdudeo thread starter macrumors regular

So if they make solid products, a two year warranty shouldn't matter to them. Fact is it stains their otherwise good service. Just because one year is the basic minimum for law doesn't mean it's good you sheep.

The right for your £1400 iMac to last over a year is not an extra service, it is absolutely expected. Tell me you wouldn't be utterly hacked off if something failed on it after 13 months and you had to shed out repairs costs for it.

17. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The law doesn't obligate the manufacturer to offer any warranty.

You don't have to pay anything if you know the law and your rights as a consumer.

18. superdudeo thread starter macrumors regular

yeah thanks hell hammer. I am vaguely aware of the consumer rights surrounding UK returns. Still doesn't stop these sheep purchasing apple care while Apple rub their hands together.

19. smali macrumors regular

They are playing by the rules though. Would be nice to have standard 2 years.

Apple are the wrong people to target. Target the government to make changes in consumer law. Change the law and Apple will have to as well.

20. Rocco83 macrumors 6502

I've never had a problem with an Apple product failing, ever. Honestly I don't mind paying an extra $150 on top of the $2000+ I pay for the machines. Pretty sure if someone can dish out the big money to buy their computers they can afford a little extra for peace of mind. If a $150 is too much out of pocket for you go buy an HP and see how green the grass is on the other side.

21. MR.Raul macrumors regular

MR.Raul

Hell Yeah! So don't come to us Americans and start bashing us, just cause we don't want to have better benefits!
    You suck!
    I forgot, why don't we want better benefits?
    And why do they think they are better then us Americans?

Oh wait, I'm from Sweden... how dare you sir! We are so much better then you Americans! :rolleyes: :p

22. spooktheherd macrumors newbie

when purchasing my new imac using my girlfriends educational discount apple informed me they extend the warranty (applecare) to 3 years instead of 1, all for free. so if you could go down that route then its a start

23. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Why not just stay with a PC? If you can't see the value then perhaps Apple products aren't for you .

24. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

You could buy it from John Lewis as they come with 2 yr warranty as standard.

25. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Extended warranties are usually a poor bet, but that doesn't answer your question.

And before I'd do AppleCare I'd look at credit cards or SquareTrade (I think that's the name); they cover more than just defects in manufacturing.

I'd had tons of Macs and never had to return one, nor have I ever had to even call tech support. Waste of time. I've fixed them myself, but never had a prob during the warranty period.

If I were a betting man, I'd wager that the majority of warranty returns for "defective" macs are really software problems. Followed by dead hard drives (which is why it's inexplicable to me that Apple makes them difficult to replace).

Save your $$ and use it on a good backup solution instead

Rob