Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d-b

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 8, 2013
I want to buy a "Sprint" iPhone SE (A1723) without a contract. Anyone know how to do this? The SIM free option in Apple Store is the A1662 version, which does not support the bands I need (I spend a lot of time in Europe. In US I only use prepaid SIM-cards.).

electronicsguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2015
Pune, India
I want to buy a "Sprint" iPhone SE (A1723) without a contract. Anyone know how to do this? The SIM free option in Apple Store is the A1662 version, which does not support the bands I need (I spend a lot of time in Europe. In US I only use prepaid SIM-cards.).
did you get an answer to this?

Jay43

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2015
You can just go to a physical apple store and ask for a sprint version of the phone you want.

Jay43

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2015
You don't have to sign up with Sprint to buy the Sprint iPhone if you pay full-price

tallazzPilipino

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2015
got that nomadic lifestyle
I brought in my 5s and got my $150 Apple credit to use towards buying the Sprint version outright (which supposedly comes unlocked according to the FAQ on the Apple site). it did already include a SIM which I called Sprint customer service to have activated - did an ESM swap from my T-Mo version 6s+. there would have been a $35 activation fee had Apple done the activation process. but I needed an unlock Sprint version to also work on MetroPCS (T-Mo network) which I haven't yet tried since I have to call in for.

Last edited:

Jay43

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2015
Are you sure? Because if you buy from Apple online store that is not how it works.

I have bought the sprint iphone SE and I am using it on At&t so yes I am sure but YMMV. I also specified in my original post that you have to buy it from a physical apple store ;)

electronicsguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2015
Pune, India
I have bought the sprint iphone SE and I am using it on At&t so yes I am sure but YMMV. I also specified in my original post that you have to buy it from a physical apple store ;)
but did you have to at all sign up for the sprint plan to initially activate the phone n then switch to at&t? or did the at&t sim work directly? and are you getting LTE?

electronicsguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2015
Pune, India
Ok got the new iphone se (A1723). For others: it's very simple. Goto Apple store and pick it up "in-store". It'll be unlocked and yes even Verizon "LTE" works. You have to pay the full price.

note: don't order it online thru apple - they force you to sign up for a Sprint plan. The apple store is the only place I know of, where you can buy it it unlocked without a plan.

note: any phone sold by sprint directly or Sprint stores will be locked - don't buy that.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Ok got the new iphone se (A1723). For others: it's very simple. Goto Apple store and pick it up "in-store". It'll be unlocked and yes even Verizon "LTE" works. You have to pay the full price.

note: don't order it online thru apple - they force you to sign up for a Sprint plan. The apple store is the only place I know of, where you can buy it it unlocked without a plan.

note: any phone sold by sprint directly or Sprint stores will be locked - don't buy that.
I would advise against buying the Sprint iPhone SE if you plan on using it on Verizon. You won't get band 13, which is the only low frequency band Verizon uses. Without band 13, your coverage won't be nearly as good, and good luck getting a signal indoors without standing next to a window.

Reactions: ABC5S

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Why not just select the Versizon iphone?

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Some people want international support. If you're on Sprint, AT&T, or T-Mobile, it makes sense to get the Sprint model because it works fine on those networks and you can take it to other countries for the best compatibility. But if you use Verizon or plan on using Verizon, it's probably not a good idea to get that model.

tallazzPilipino

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2015
got that nomadic lifestyle
Some people want international support. If you're on Sprint, AT&T, or T-Mobile, it makes sense to get the Sprint model because it works fine on those networks and you can take it to other countries for the best compatibility. But if you use Verizon or plan on using Verizon, it's probably not a good idea to get that model.
no Band 29 for ATT. Sprint and T-Mo use the same model though. Works great for me since those are the two I need to be able to switch between.

Last edited:

electronicsguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2015
Pune, India
Because I need a phone with TD-LTE support and in the US it's only the sprint version which as those bands.
[doublepost=1462124161][/doublepost]
I would advise against buying the Sprint iPhone SE if you plan on using it on Verizon. You won't get band 13, which is the only low frequency band Verizon uses. Without band 13, your coverage won't be nearly as good, and good luck getting a signal indoors without standing next to a window.
There's no need for concern. I tested LTE on verizon... 25 mbps :)

electronicsguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2015
Pune, India
Because I need a phone with TD-LTE support and in the US it's only the sprint version which as those bands.
[doublepost=1462124161][/doublepost]
There's no need for concern. I tested LTE on verizon... 25 mbps :). Coverage is the same as with a Verizon iphone, at least for me.
[doublepost=1462126553][/doublepost]
No doubt it works, but your service indoors is going to be awful and your coverage won't be nearly as good as the other model SE.

It is, but the Sprint SE has all the bands needed for T-Mobile.

not for me. Bars and Voice quality are exactly the same as with my old Verizon iphone 5.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.