iPhone XS Max How can I clean the iPhone XS's top speaker grille

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by M.Shaf213, Nov 4, 2018.

1. M.Shaf213 macrumors newbie

So I got the new iPhone XS max in gold, but there is one small problem. there is a large amount of dust particles forming in the top speaker. I suffer from OCD and it drives me nuts! Anyone have any safe ideas of cleaning it without damaging the speaker grille, something that won't harm the phone. I've tried Qtips and cotton swabs and they are no help whatsoever.

2. Banglazed, Nov 4, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2018

Banglazed macrumors demi-god

Banglazed

Drench a q-tip in alcohol, squeeze hard to remove excess alcohol so it doesn't drip but wet atleast inside the earpiece, swap the earpiece back and forth, check it, dirt stuck to the edge use a tooth pick to get them out and repeat till your OCD is satisfied

3. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

I'm pretty sure using alcohol has a high chance of damaging the screen, so I couldn't recommend that solution.

Simply get a can of compressed air and blow it out.

4. Relentless Power, Nov 5, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

My recommendation would be to find a soft bristle brush, that has fine edges and lightly use it to remove the dust. You could also try a toothbrush head that’s clean and lightly use that as an alternative method as well. If you try compressed air, make sure you keep it away from a safe distance, as the force from the air could cause damage to the speaker area as well.

5. ooloo macrumors member

ooloo

6. bigscotal macrumors 6502

bigscotal

I use something like blu-tac (not sure if it's called other names elsewhere).

I get a small bit, form it into a sort of point, and carefully push into the speaker grill and it grabs any particles of dust or debris that are in there. Obviously you don't push too hard and mush it fully in there though! :)

7. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Because some don’t want to expose iPhones to water, _especially_ the speaker area. (Regardless of the water resistance rating.)
    --- Post Merged, Nov 5, 2018 ---
    I know what you’re referring to, other times it’s known as ‘Sticky tac’, which is basically a putty bond that hold things together without leaving behind adhesive residue, but I would not recommend that either, because if any of the tac remnants lodges itself in the grill, you would have worse issues.

8. Mr.C macrumors 601

I wouldn’t recommend using any of the solutions mentioned here. It’s better to try and live with the dust then risk ruining the speaker.

9. AMTYVLE macrumors 6502a

AMTYVLE

I used a piece of scotch tape. Press it lightly on the top speaker then peel. Works for me.

But while we are on the topic of dust buildup in the top speaker (which has always been an issue with iPhones), Apple states these phones are Splash, Water, and Dust Resistant. My question is what do they consider Dust Resistant if dust continues to build up in the speakers?

10. M.Shaf213 thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree on that. What I think they mean when they say "dust resistant" is the fact that the dust particles don't build up inside the iPhone. It's riciulous how they speakers on the iphones are so exposed they get so much dust in them very easily.

11. DevinNj macrumors 6502a

I've never liked the idea of compressed air, but I will blow towards my phone at an angle. This usually takes care of any dust, at least in my circumstances. My take on Apples dust resistance is that dust wouldn't have any adverse effects under normal conditions, not that the phone itself has some sort of dust repellent capabilities/characteristics.

12. AppleWes macrumors 6502

AppleWes

I agree- and personally never use compressed air on a phone. The pressure and moisture from can 'propellent' can be rough on any electronics. Might be ok for older plastic (cheap) keyboard, but nothing that is valuable!

13. ihakim, Nov 5, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2018

ihakim macrumors regular

I also use a piece of scotch tape and it keeps it looking like new. No chance of damaging it this way.

14. vrflyer macrumors 6502

vrflyer

Hydrocloric Acid and several Q-Tips ought to do the trick!

15. bushman4 macrumors 68020

Compressed Air might help but be very careful it’s very easy to ruin those sensors
    Best Bet is to take it into Apple

16. jamespa66 macrumors 6502

I use a soft bristle brush designed for cleaning hearing aids, works great and has yet to damage anything.

17. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I think the other option, would be to bring it to Apple and see if they could clean it for you, that way it takes the risk off the user from damaging anything and puts them liable to efficiently clean it.

Also, someone recommend the scotch tape method, that seems like that would be a decent idea that I did not think of.

18. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

I would try vacuuming out the grill with an attachment made for electronic devices. Failing that, scotch tape on a toothpick.