how can you bend your iPhone 6 under normal usage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xyz2610, Oct 28, 2014.

1. xyz2610 macrumors member

xyz2610

hey guys
    i have been using my iPhone 6 for 3 weeks now and it's straight as hell...no signs of any deformation. And yes, it's been in my front pocket most of the time.
    I'm starting to wonder how anyone could bend their iPhone 6 under normal usage. To be honest, I can't think of any way how this could possibly happen

2. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

3 weeks out of next 2 years, give it time.

how can it bend? just like how any thinly piece of aluminum would. I almost bend mine last night when I accidentally feel asleep on it. Thank god I don't weight a lot and am a light sleeper.

3. DeftwillP macrumors 6502

Have there been any problems with the 6 bending?

4. iceperson macrumors 6502

You can't understand how a thin metal device can bend over time under constant and/or repeated pressure? Hmm. Do you confuse easily?

5. xyz2610 thread starter macrumors member

xyz2610

as far as I know there have been quite a few but not as many as with iPhone 6 plus

6. VFC macrumors 6502a

If the phone slides at an angle (or worse case sideways) in your front pocket and you bend down. Your thigh becomes the fulcrum point and the pants material on each end apply the force. With a phone as long as the 6/6+, baggy pants become a liability; tight pants may be better as the phone probably won't turn sideways.

7. xyz2610 thread starter macrumors member

xyz2610

how could you possibly apply that much pressure to the device under normal usage? I mean there have been bendgate posts about a week after those phones were released all of which were bent during everyday use

8. Meathead1 macrumors member

The phones bend in more directions than what is shown on the test videos. Twist the phone, it's bends quite easily. No one should be shocked, it's not rocket science.

9. iceperson macrumors 6502

Different sized legs, different sitting positions, different clothing materials, smaller pockets, etc... Have you really never had to re-adjust anything in your front pocket like your keys or phone after you sat down because they were positioned awkwardly?

10. myztikal47 macrumors regular

It happened to my brothers phone, developed a slight wobble. Normal use, no abuse. Happened to my 6+. I didn't think it would seeing how sturdy the phone feels, but again, developed a wobble and I've kept it in a Apple leather case since day one. I have no idea how it happened, but it's there.

11. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

To me normal usage does not including putting enough pressure on a phone to bend it, so my answer is that the phones do not bend with normal usage. I don't mean to be argumentative but my wife's 6+ will never bend because she puts it in her black hole of a purse.

12. iceperson macrumors 6502

Sure, if you make up your own definition of "normal usage" you can justify any amount of manufacturer's defect. The Ford Pinto didn't explode under "normal usage" either, it was only when rear ended. That doesn't mean Ford didn't payout a boatload of cash in damages and repairs. In most markets manufacturers can't just say "Well don't get in a car wreck and our cars won't explode." Can you imagine Apple trying to explain that if users didn't put a cell phone in their pocket then it wouldn't get bent to a judge/jury? That would be funny to watch...

13. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If it gets in the wrong position it could put enough force on it to bend it. I'm also thinking that rather than being an issue that effects all of them it might just be a couple bad batches that have a flaw that makes them easier to bend.

14. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

so you are saying its baggy jeans that are the real issue? I though it was skinny jeans

15. imnjs macrumors member

imnjs

There has been times where I've found my phone turned sideways in my pocket and I'd have to readjust it to be vertical. I would assume being horizontal would leave it much more vulnerable to bending.

16. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Ignoring your false equivalence argument, putting an iPhone in a pocket is acceptable usage. Applying enough force to bend it whether in your pocket or elsewhere is not acceptable usage.

17. Meathead1 macrumors member

And let me guess, you know the exact pressure required to distort the frame in this scenario? No, you don't. These phones are easily bent and it doesn't take someone jumping on their behind with a 6 Plus in the back pocket.

18. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

If you're talking about the independent third party industry standard bend test then yes, I do. If you're talking about a pocket then no I don't because I haven't bent one but the people who have bent theirs might know.

The phones are not easily bent, but tests showed they bend more easily than previous iPhones. That's not a defect, it's a baffling design choice.

19. McDaddio macrumors 6502a

No, how does that happen?
    Is every time the phone put under pressure, it is put in the exact same position?
    Do you understand what is required for any metal, even aluminum, to have any fatigue? Do you understand the cycle count, the fatigue curves and the fatigue limit model and how it would apply to a phone being in a different position throughout it's "normal usage"

Go ahead, given all that, explain this.

----------

Wow! You are saying that your thigh is so strong that it doesn't give at all when there is pressure on it?

How do you walk with thighs that are rock hard and can bend metal?

Are you superman?

20. fotomarc macrumors regular

fotomarc

how can you bend your iPhone 6 under normal usage

If your phone was about to bend in your pocket, or on your arse when sitting down I'm sure you would feel the force!

I haven't noticed any bending whatsoever with my 6 Plus in my front pocket. It fits all the way and I have sat down and rode a bike with it. Had it for a month now.

I'm sure most of these bending issues are deliberate attempts! If Apple are willing to exchange then you're lucky!

21. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Wow! You are saying that your thigh is so doughy that it doesn't resist at all when there is pressure on it?

How do you walk with thighs that are intangible and metal passes through them?

Are you...

stay-puft-del-fictional-foods-mdn.jpg

Havin' some fun. ;)

22. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

Yeah I think it's probably this. Tightish jeans, phone sideways, sit down and the fabric squishes the phone around the thigh. Easily more than 90 pounds of force.

23. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

the issue is.. 70-90lb of force is NOT hard to achieve. How Apple engineer didn't see this is absolutely pathetic.

iPhone 5 was able to withstand twice the force and so are majority of other phones. I predict 6S will be redesigned (at least internally) to withstand more forces

24. McDaddio macrumors 6502a

really?
    so neither the thigh nor the fabric has any give and the pants are so tight that 90 pounds of force is create.

How do you survive a walk down the street with jeans so tight, no play in the movement and thighs that don't give way when metal presses against it?

----------

I know it is just fun, and I like the Ghost Buster reference...

It is more amusing that people inadvertently are comparing their thighs to the the hardness and inflexibility of the consumer reports testing machine...not to mention that they are implying that there is an equivalently small and focused fulcrum point, vs the force being distributed over a larger area from the thigh...

25. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

You can say all that stuff. But there's probably tens of millions of people holding off and deciding against iPhone6/6+ until Apple addresses the issue. Even little kids and old people know now that iPhone bends.