How close to the speed limit do you usually go?

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
In a residential area, I go no faster than 1 MPH over the speed limit, but, sometimes 15-20 MPH in some of the narrow residential streets in the area with lots of bicycles, even if the limit is 25-30. I go the speed limit or slightly faster on expressways if the flow of traffic is fast. I generally don't drive faster than 65 ever.

But, I don't care that much how fast you go, as long as you follow 2-3 seconds behind. I always slow down for tailgaters, because if they are following too closely, I need more room to stop gently.

Last edited:

Renzatic

Suspended
5 to 10 is about what I tend to peg out at, too. It's not like I'm doing it for any particular reason. I drive at whatever speed I feel comfortable going at. From my perspective, I'm not going too fast, and I'm not going too slow.

It's just weird that that perfectly comfortable clip almost always seems to be about 5 to 10 miles over the limit no matter where I'm at.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
5 to 10 is about what I tend to peg out at, too. It's not like I'm doing it for any particular reason. I drive at whatever speed I feel comfortable going at. From my perspective, I'm not going too fast, and I'm not going too slow.
I'm probably about the same in that regard, yet someone always passes and pulls just in front of me. I hate that:mad:.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
Growing up in am aggressive driving region, dad's rule of thumb to avoid tickets: never go more than 9mph over the posted limit. And sure enough, whenever I got a ticket, I had broken the rule. These days, driving is much less hectic and I'm at or under the limit most of the time, in most conditions.

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
About 5 over on surface streets, 10 on the highway, unless I'm within the St. Louis city proper then it's more like 15 over because the STLPD doesn't pull people over for speeding, they have real crimes to deal with.

Of course, all depends on road conditions and traffic. I don't do anything wreckless.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
On limited access highways...as much as it takes to get to 80-85mph. This, of course, is modified based on weather, road conditions, and traffic.

City streets and small state roads, about 5 mph over the limit...no more.

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
Local cops let you get away with <10kph over, except in school zones, so that's what I follow.

Highway speed here is 100kph, but most do >110 <120. I never go above 120 as I've been "told" that 123 is the threshold of pain. :p

Oh, 50 over and they take your license, and your vehicle.

But you get a free ride home. :D

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Local cops let you get away with <10kph over, except in school zones, so that's what I follow.

Highway speed here is 100kph, but most do >110 <120. I never go above 120 as I've been "told" that 123 is the threshold of pain. :p

Oh, 50 over and they take your license, and your vehicle.

But you get a free ride home. :D
Exactly this. Up to 10kph over has always been fine for me, though I have pushed to 20 over in areas where I know I can.

Going 120 on our highways is pretty standard but most don't go higher unless they're out of the city ;)

I've never had a ticket either, but I won't recommend speeding to anyone.