General How come no one can't HACK iOS to Downgrade??!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Bartender4, Dec 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bartender4 macrumors member

This is something I totally DO NOT understand. Aren't the iDevices (iPhone, iPad, iPod) just set of electronics (ram, cpu,flash memory connected to mother board...) or is it some kind of Magic??

How come no one is able to hack for instance iOS6.ipsw file so it sends Apple data that the file is actually iOS7 and than Apple would accept it even it's iOS6?

Or how come no one isn't able to install iOS on iDevice the same way as installing Windows to PC. I mean to extract and install the firmware on the flash memory of iDevice.

I just don't understand how those things aren't possible, when there are so many experts for Apple devices and programming general. Just think of all other electronics that were hacked (ps3, xbox360, android devices)
    I can't understand that I have only 2 explanations:
    1. Apple uses some kind of magic
    2. people didn't never really try to hack it
    Or maybe I am unaware of some kind of new technology that they'r using.

Anyways thanks for reading this and I would appreciate every answer

2. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

With every iOS install, the device "dials" Apple to see if it's the current version available.

Apple doesn't sign firmware that's not the latest.

No way around it unless Apple's servers get hacked.

In the past, you were able to save your individual SHSH and have the device "dial" Cydia's servers (instead of Apple's) so you could install previous firmware.

All that stopped with the iPhone 4.

3. JeReSpringer13 macrumors member

I'm pretty new to this and this may be a naive question, but is there not a way to spoof the Apple server to make the device think it gets the OK from Apple or is there some sort of encryption going on that hasn't been cracked? I know some devices can be downgraded using blobs and the ipsw files are "rebuilt" using them, so downgrading definitely is possible, I'm just not sure of everything going on in the background.

4. Bartender4 thread starter macrumors member

Yes I know that every time u install iOS itunes "calls home" to check if your versions of iOS is the new one. But I think you could edit code of that .ipsw file so it would send to apple info saying it's the new iOS.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You said it right.
    Its just something that you totally DO NOT understand:)

6. TL24 macrumors 6502a

TL24

Seriously? Instead of whining and bitching about it like a little girl why don't you just enjoy your iOS device like everyone else?

First world problems right here, spoiled a.ss!

7. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

There's nothing you can do to the ipsw.

The security in A5+ devices is different than the previous generations.

8. Bartender4 thread starter macrumors member

Yes that's right so why don't you enlight me then with your knowlidge?

9. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Without a bottom level exploit it is not possible.Only A4 and below had the ability.They was a way to downgrade iOS 5.1 but it was easily fixable and not permanent solution.Downgrading is gone just like Ultrasn0w unlocks.Move on

10. Bartender4 thread starter macrumors member

You better think twice before u say something. Because to enjoy iOS7 u need at least iPhone 5, but I have iPhone 4 once a magnificent device that new iOS totally destroyed for NO GOOD REASON!

So who is a spoiled ass me with my iPhone 4, can't yet afford better (excluding 4s) or you with your probably shiny iPhone 5s and all other brand new iDevices?

----------

I have A4 on iOS7 is there chance for me to put it back on iOS6 then?

11. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

download the latest version of iFaith and check if you have valid iOS 6.x blobs on cydia's server by downloading them. if you do, you're in luck and if you don't, there's nothing you can do to downgrade to iOS 6.x

if you have iOS 5.x blobs, you can downgrade to that

12. Bartender4 thread starter macrumors member

I do have valid blobs for iOS 6.0.1 but every time I try restoring to 6.0.1 i get error 1600. But that's not really what I wanted to discuss on this thread...

13. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

You should have learnt from the fate of the iPhone 3G and iPod touch 2G with their disastrous 4.x iOS "updates" (that is, more like downgrades.)

In a word: never ever update a 2+-year-old iDevice to the latest major iOS version bump because there's chance it'll be rendered pretty useless before others do and report on whether the device remains usable / enjoyable. Whether this is intentional on Apple's part or not is debatable - I think the former is true. Their greed is pretty annoying.

14. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

alright then

well, long story short, the magic is done server side. and the hardware is programmed in how it performs these restores

and they cannot be hacked without a bootrom exploit

you can think of it as the equivalent of the BIOS/UEFI in a PC machine. The BIOS/UEFI is what tells the computer how to load things when you start up a computer

that's how i see it but that's probably not entirely right

15. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

It's simply not possible. It's not a matter of just 'changing' stuff. Everything is code signed and that code isn't modifiable. It's encrypted.

16. Bartender4 thread starter macrumors member

I know that very Well, but my iPhone decided to freeze on lockscreen every time I reboot it, so what other option I had. I tried using shsh blobs but itunes always gave error 1600. I would never upgrade by my own will.

17. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I recommend you take some computer classes.
    Reciting hardware pieces does not make firmware appear from thin air.
    Also, you do not understand and I would waste time trying to explain it to you since you lack basic computer software understanding.
    BTW, the ps3 is not hacked,only the fatties and up to a certain firmware.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Start by trying to educate yourself first. Google takes just a few seconds.
    Try to learn what shsh blobs are and how they work and what they do.
    Start here:
    http://www.saurik.com/id/12

19. Bartender4 thread starter macrumors member

I would understand it, if the iDevice was never able to boot or install iOS6 or lower. But since it was able to use that firmware in the past it most be able to do it now again. Unless apple was able to change some hardware parts in it over the internet :) (that's what I called magic earlier)...

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Even with a bootrom exploit you cannot get around downgrading without full shsh blobs saved in order to replay them and dowgrade.

21. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

the hardware isn't the only factor. as said by applejuiced, complete shsh blobs are also needed

and with two pieces of the puzzle, being able to downgrade would be possible. right now, we can get the blobs easily but the boot code in the newer processors is so optimized that no bootrom exploit has been found

22. Bartender4 thread starter macrumors member

Now you sir know what you are talking about

23. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

assuming that's not sarcasm, i must say i don't know. These are just stuff I've picked up and read over the years

24. Bartender4 thread starter macrumors member

No I'm quite serious, it's first proper asnswer

25. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

I guess the others sort of did say what I said but in a more complicated fashion. They were all just saying how the code cannot be easily modifiable.

You should read up what SHSH are and how they are used in the restoring process though. that might help clear things up?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.