How did the Sport look/feel ?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by redgaz26, Apr 10, 2015.

1. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Been reading a few threads saying the sport looks a bit cheap and not a patch on the SS, I've ordered the space grey, did anyone try that on and what does it feel like on the wrist ?

2. technosix macrumors 6502a

You either want one or you don't.

I just ordered my 42/SS/Black band without any desire to see it first at the try on event. In doing so it was less than 5 min. of my time, plus I got the first and earliest delivery date range.

I'm in no rush, so it's smooth sailing going forward.

3. JonnyIreland macrumors 6502a

JonnyIreland

I just had my instore appointment and I tried the 42mm Space Grey Sport, SS Link Band and SS Milanese... all were much better than I expected, very high quality and to answer the original question VERY VERY light! Much lighter than any 'regular' watch that I wear.

4. redgaz26 thread starter macrumors 68020

redgaz26

light is good, just not sure of this "the sport looks cheap" vibe I've been reading!I think the space grey looks lovely though I've not been to the store yet

5. mactrack10 macrumors newbie

Tried on both the SG Sport and SS Milanese and TBH was a little underwhelmed by both. The best SS is the link bracelet but at £520 more than the Sport it's just not worth it. Happy to stick with my SG Sport 42mm pre-order even if I never even saw the initial delivery date of 24/4 when the app went live for me!

6. JonnyIreland macrumors 6502a

JonnyIreland

My personal opinion was that the Sport didn't look cheap, at least in Space Grey... the <<insert fancy name for rubber strap>> seemed very high quality for what it is, of course it is too early to say if they look shabby or discolour after prolonged use.

7. TypeMRT macrumors 6502

Just like an iPhone 6. I'm not a fan of shiny metal so I prefer the smooth matte finish of the aluminum. The stainless steel was noticeable heavier feeling after trying the Sport first.

8. k3ith macrumors regular

k3ith

It's the best one. I was originally going to get the SS with link band, but this is honestly perfect. It looks so good and is comfortable, but not at the expense of it looking cheap.

Attached Files:

9. ivandr macrumors regular

I preordered a 42 SG Sport watch at 3 this morning but also went in at 10am to try on several watches. I wanted to see the 38 vs 42 mm size in person and also feel the weight difference between the Sport and the standard Steel.
    The weight difference is noticeable but even the steel watch with the link band (heaviest combination available) doesn't feel very heavy in the wrist.

I think that both the sport and stainless steel watches have impeccable build quality, however I decided I'm happy with the space grey sport watch and kept my initial order.

I wasn't as impressed by the black color stainless steel watch with link band (I like the black link band... its beautifully made and the closure mechanism is so fluid, I just didn't think the black color on the stainless watch housing was well matched. [The band has a slight 'brushed' finish while the stainless watch is polished to a mirror finish])

10. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

it didn't feel cheap. It was extremely light. I hate bulky watches and this was not the case.
    I wasn't a fan of the regular Alum sport compared to the space black. Its def. black and not gray. I liked it. I'm glad I order the 42mm. The 38 would be too small for me (180mm wrist) The 24th can't come quick enough!

My only complaint was that it when scrolling in the photos app on the watch seem slow when using the crown. It seem to take a "second". Nothing major but needs an update.

11. sahilpatel12 macrumors 6502a

sahilpatel12

ONE WORD ; AWESOME :D

i have tried ss and sport and would sport was light and most nicest thing i had on wrist.:eek: and that leather loop ..:eek::eek::eek::eek: i just melted when i put it on im buying it now 150 not a issue anymroe:D

12. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

According to Apple's site, the sports watch with band is heavier than the SS with classic buckle (62g/81g for 38/42mm vs 56g/69g) - the watch itself is only 25g/30g vs 40g/50g though

13. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Has anyone managed to mix a leather loop with a Sport watch at their try on appointment? Seems to me like it might be quite a nice combination, and comes in cheaper than even the lowest-end SS model.

14. redgaz26 thread starter macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Ah man I feel better now ! I was thinking sport is more of a wearable device rather than an actual "watch" which I think is the SS

Cant wait !:apple::apple:

15. ivandr macrumors regular

You aren't allowed to mix and match bands during try on appointments. The sport watches all have the flueuroelastomer band and the SS watches have a variety (Classic, leather loop, milanese loop, link bracelet... but conspicuously no stainless steel watch with a sport band [at least for the try on station I was at])

16. Hard-Hat-Mac macrumors regular

I am happy with my pre-order went to the store this morning to confirm my size and style.

Attached Files:

17. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I did see someone in Australia say they tested the SG Sport with a (stone?) leather loop, but that may have just been because there weren't many people there at the time? Not sure really.

18. 01silver4 macrumors 6502a

01silver4

The SG to me didn't look that good on me like the SS. The SG looks better on lighter complexion people. It pops more. On me how ever no so much almost like it's not there.

Attached Files:

19. 01silver4 macrumors 6502a

01silver4

Here is the SS

Attached Files:

20. 01silver4 macrumors 6502a

01silver4

One more

Attached Files:

21. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

The neon colors didn't grab me but the case itself looks nice. I'd have no prob wearing w/ black band but happy I bought the space black version anyway.

22. Ambush083 macrumors regular

Ambush083

Is that the 38mm? The size looks good for your wrist. Not that I'm checking out your wrist or anything...haha j/k. I wouldn't want some big watch on my arm ya know? I could just go out and get a Marc Ecko watch if I want that.

23. Downs2011 macrumors regular

Thanks, that's an awesome shot! Can't wait for mine to get here! Is that 38 or 42?

24. redgaz26 thread starter macrumors 68020

redgaz26

25. Rangers94 macrumors regular

Rangers94

Good to hear! :)