Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAgileBeast

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2010
some with financial aid. about 300. the other 250 was with a work paycheck :D

555 for a 16 gig.

i love school :)

bradg33

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2010
Part of the profits from the sale of AIG stock that was purchased for $.50/share (before the 20:1 reverse split, equivalent of $10/share now) and sale of Ford stock purchased at $2/share.

CanonicalKoi

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2009
Where the trilobites roam free.
My father died in February 2009. He was my first and best Geek Example. He worked for the railroad (NP, BN, BNSF) all his life, but loved all things geeky and/or tech. He brought home our first calculator (where each number in the display was a separate tube) that cost over $100 and could add, subtract, multiply and divide only. We were all amazed by it. He and I spent more quarters than I can count when Pong came out. In his 80's, I got him into Linux and Open Office, he watched Tech TV (before it became games only) and loved all things tech. Most of my inheritance went into the family fund, what remains will buy an energy-efficient washer, dryer and kitchen range and pay for my geek toys. Part of it already bought the MBP I'm using to type this, part bought my first iPod Touch and some will buy my iPad. Dad would most definitely approve; I only wish he was still around to play with it. He'd have loved it.

foxnews1

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2010
Solf my 1-month old laptop for $550, bought for $500. Add $140 more and bought 32GB with case for $690, including tax.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
I work for it, simply. I won't be paying for it using a credit card either. :)

I have the cash, but I will be using my Best Buy Master Card for the points and for the Extended Manufacturer Warranty program they offer when you put the entire balance on the card (Apple Care is $99). Then I'll pay it off when I get my next statement.

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
I'm thinking of buying an iPad.

If I do, I'll pay for it from work (work is Comet, a UK equivalent of your BestBuy - although I'm quite informed and know the in's and out's of most of the stuff we sell. You hear a lot of BB horror stories on here!).

Failing that, I'll purchase it on my shiny new BarclayCard Platinum VISA and sell my MBP on eBay and pay the credit card from that. The idea is to sell the MBP and buy a Mac Mini + iPad in its place.

I hope this is specific enough OP!

JMB1911

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2010
I sold the 1975 Gremlin that had been sitting on the side of my house for a year. GOOD TRADE!!

Sold it for 750, pretty much the exact price of the 64 gig wifi with tax included.:D

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
I sold the 1975 Gremlin that had been sitting on the side of my house for a year. GOOD TRADE!!

Sold it for 750, pretty much the exact price of the 64 gig wifi with tax included.:D

Like... the thing you don't feed after midnight? Some original doll from the movie?

I hope you passed on the three rules to its new owner.

Robin4

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
RTD-NC
The family has been eating crap for the last couple of months and will continue eating crap for a couple of months. None of that gourmet stuff for now. :eek:

touchmonkey

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
My father died in February 2009. He was my first and best Geek Example. He worked for the railroad (NP, BN, BNSF) all his life, but loved all things geeky and/or tech. He brought home our first calculator (where each number in the display was a separate tube) that cost over $100 and could add, subtract, multiply and divide only. We were all amazed by it. He and I spent more quarters than I can count when Pong came out. In his 80's, I got him into Linux and Open Office, he watched Tech TV (before it became games only) and loved all things tech. Most of my inheritance went into the family fund, what remains will buy an energy-efficient washer, dryer and kitchen range and pay for my geek toys. Part of it already bought the MBP I'm using to type this, part bought my first iPod Touch and some will buy my iPad. Dad would most definitely approve; I only wish he was still around to play with it. He'd have loved it.
Great memories. He lives in them.

BTW my old motorscooter got bought unexpectedly.....just after I put my order in.
Sweet.

bowlerman625

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Chicago, IL area
Sold a thousand shares of a penny stock at a nice profit amount. Enough to pay for the 64GB 3G model and some accessories. It was time to let it go anyways! :)

ciaran00

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
iPhone 2G. Had it for three years.

Unlimited Tmo data plan = $5. $30 (AT&T) - $5 = $25/month.
Unlimited Tmo talk plan = $49. $69 (AT&T) - $49 = $20/month.

$25 + $20 = $45.

$45 x 36 months = $1620.

Hmm.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
It is called savings account. I usually buy a new MBP every two years. I put in $25 a week into a savings account and don't touch it. Then I pay with a credit card and pay off in full when the bill comes in.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Working

An occasional flip is not bad though. When I got my 3GS I sold my 2G to offset the cost. Will do same when I get my next iPhone. In those cases it's more cause I'll have no need for the old item once I get the new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.