Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
I work. And I sell old electronics that I don't need. Made $100 unexpected this past week by selling a Sony docking station and an old copy of Windows XP Professional.

pirateRACE

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2010
Sold iBook G4 = $350
Money I received for my Birthday = $150
Sold Roku = $75
Savings = $25 + taxes

=32GB WiFi

Sketh

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
Come on people. Stories. Work? What is work? Robbing a bank?

Allow me to elaborate, then.

I work at the Ann Arbor Google office as an Adwords Strategist and sometimes as an Android Development Consultant. At Google we're allowed to apply for compensation for tools we feel would help us with our job. And being that the iPad is made for consuming media (mainly) I quickly applied for the $528 dollars that the cheapest iPad would require. The next day I got a call from my Regional Manager saying that they wanted me to right up why I thought the iPad would be good for my job, so I did that, and the guys around the office gave me a lot of flack for being an Apple fan. But I settled eventually with having them give me 200 for the iPad, which will be taken out of my check in increments of $7.82 every other week.

Victory is mine.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
Allow me to elaborate, then.

I work at the Ann Arbor Google office as an Adwords Strategist and sometimes as an Android Development Consultant. At Google we're allowed to apply for compensation for tools we feel would help us with our job. And being that the iPad is made for consuming media (mainly) I quickly applied for the $528 dollars that the cheapest iPad would require. The next day I got a call from my Regional Manager saying that they wanted me to right up why I thought the iPad would be good for my job, so I did that, and the guys around the office gave me a lot of flack for being an Apple fan. But I settled eventually with having them give me 200 for the iPad, which will be taken out of my check in increments of $7.82 every other week.

Victory is mine.

Sweet. Just sweet :D

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
That's $5000, not $4200.

Actually you didn't read my post. It's $4200. In the list I subtracted $800 for existing body and 3 lenses. Seems like a decent guestimate for the stuff I've got.

Hah, doubt the wife will let me spend all this anyhow. I can see the camera for the trip, and the iPhone is in the bag, new Mac? Maybe with next year's return, which probably won't be as epic, but still enough to cover most of it. My MBP feels like its getting a little rusty, but I mainly blame Adobe and their crappy CS installs / software that messes everything up. It seems fine if I don't run Adobe software, but as a design student I have to all the time. There are times, in the summer, that for maybe a week I don't run any CS apps, and things are beautiful.

Zethca

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2007
sold a pair of sneakers that have been sitting on a display shelf for over a year..

if you're curious: Nike SB "Tiffany" Dunk Low

netted enough for a 16gb, case, and dock with room to spare.

Squid7085

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I was going to take it from my savings, but I talked to my mom that I would use it for my Texbooks from now on, so I could use college money set aside to over things Scholarships and stuff don't. It was kinda a white lie at first but it is looking like textbooks might be a significant possibility. $600 is a pretty small price to pay when it comes to textbooks. :) I just hope I can actually buy eBooks with Aid money considering most are half the price. I have a decent job, and buying an iPad wouldn't be too much of a hit, but nothing is better than not having to spend your own money. Hehe

mykoljay

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2008
Bought 4k of Apple stock on the announcement at $200. Made $500 profit so far (of course I didn't sell it, so there is no real gains, plus the tax on the gains if I did, plus I got the 3g 32g....nevertheless, makes the purchase easier).

Also, I was convinced this would be $1000 so I feel like I'm getting it for 50% off! :)

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
If one must ask how you "got the money for the iPad", one must question his priorities/need for a luxury item. This mentality is one of the major economic/social problems in the US.

lovetheduns

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
Will just buy out of regular monthly salary.

My job. I work in the financial services industry within our HR technology group. I had money left over from my annual bonus, performance shares just were paid out to me that I was awarded 3 years ago, I received a large tax refund (almost 6k-- adjusted those withholdings now), and a tuition reimbursement.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
I Sold Some items that I knew the Ipad qwould replace, My Zune HD 32 and My Sony Ereader to name a couple.

gwerhart0800

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
Loveland, CO
I get paid a $1000 for each patent that I file by my company. I have a group of co-inventors that crank out ideas once a quarter. We started a new project area in social media ... 8 patents submitted for this quarter. I have dedicated the $$$ to get a 32GB 3G iPad. Unfortunately for me, my wife is seeking to claim it already.

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
Just like everyone here, I work therefore I am buying one. :)

Although, it did help that I won some money in Vegas last weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.