How do i know this app isn't stealing my info?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by GreenTruck, Feb 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. GreenTruck macrumors newbie

2. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

Well, if it only does local tasks, then monitor its network usage. Don't think it would get on the App Store if it puled such a number though

3. GreenTruck thread starter macrumors newbie

I have an Ipad Wifi, so i can't check network usage. Regarding your latter comment, are you sure that it wouldn't be available on the App Store if it had access to my info?

4. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

Then without jailbreaking, I don't really see any way of making sure

Could it theoretically get on the App Store? Yeah, Apple could've missed it. Would it be there for long? No! If it stole data it would be breaking more than a few rules that Apple are quite strict about

5. GreenTruck thread starter macrumors newbie

So technically speaking, If i upload a password to this app, or document, or picture, and the developer gets access to it, that's against Apple's rules? They wouldn't allow it? It's been on the app store since 2011 as far as i can tell.

6. Jnesbitt82 macrumors 6502

Jnesbitt82

You could kill your wifi signal while the app is running, if that makes you feel better.

7. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

It's very much against Apple's rules, yes. If an app collects data, the user needs to be obviously informed and explicitly give permission. And for the most part, it isn't even possible without flashing a pop-up asking for permission, with the way iOS data is handled in the first place

8. GreenTruck thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Casper, Can someone else confirm this ? That Apple wouldn't allow a developer to have access to the data i store in his app on my IPad.

9. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

You're welcome.
    You may be interested in this:
    https://developer.apple.com/app-store/review/guidelines/#after-you-submit
    Aside from that, anything that breaches the law would obviously also be rejected