How do iPhone apps look on iPad 3?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TheWheelMan, Mar 21, 2012.

1. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Just curious. I hope to eventually be able to upgrade from my iPad 1 to the 3, and a few of my apps are iPhone only apps. How will they look on the iPad 3?

2. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

I was shocked at how good iPhone only apps looked. The first one I opened I had to look at the bottom of the screen to see the 1x to be sure I had opened the correct app.

when I open them on iPad 1 there is no doubt what the are.

3. billhelm macrumors regular

They use the retina optimized graphics for the iPhone so they look pretty decent. A lot better than on my iPad 2.

4. batotman macrumors 6502

I tried Dead Space (for iphone) last night on it. Looks really good. Looked like turds on my iPad 1.

5. MelodyMarch03 macrumors member

My favorite weather app from the National Weather Service (weather alert) is iPhone only. It looks fine on my iPad, when I zoom it to 2x, the text gets a little grainy, but is still plenty readable. The radar is okay too, but there are better radar apps out there. I like that app the best for weather because it is very accurate and has different tones for different types of weather alerts.

6. FullMetalx117 macrumors regular

7. mikepas macrumors member

I've been rather impressed so far with how nice the iPhone apps look on my new iPad! Apps like Path and Instagram really look good.

8. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

9. number84 macrumors 6502

Is it still crappy on iPad 1 and 2? If yes, don't understand why Apple would limit this.

10. luke.mac1 macrumors member

I tried the office shoes app and it was horrendous!

11. gquiring macrumors regular

gquiring

I was amazed how much better iPhone apps look on the 3rd gen. I have Google Voice loaded which looked pretty bad on the iPad 2 and looks very good on the 3rd gen.

12. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

13. TheWheelMan thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Awesome! Thanks everybody for the feedback. Now all I need is a loan to buy the iPad. *lol*

14. taipan61 macrumors 6502

they looked good at their normal (iPhone) size but still pixilated when blown up (these were language apps that had been out since iPod 2 gen)

15. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Magical!

16. dancj macrumors 6502

For the most part iPhone apps on the iPad 3 will look the same as iPad apps on an iPad 1 or 2 - except they don't fill the screen.

Some - like Fruit Ninja - look terrible though.

And strangely, apps that show Google maps seem to use full retina resolution for the maps even when doubled up.