Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
I guess I’m old school and always backed up locally using iTunes before there was an iCloud….when 64gb was the max phone size. Now as we have 512gb phones doing local backups is almost impossible on say a 500gb Mac.
I started looking and saw the $9.99 2Tb iCloud storage. Does a restore from there work the same way as a local restore when you get a new phone? Apps, settings, etc? You all trust your data out there? I know Apple praises their security, but “the fappening” was a big deal.

Last edited:

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I use iCloud, it's 99¢/month, and it keeps everything backed up. When I moved from an SE to a 13 mini I just had to sign in and wait a little while for it to download. One of the things that wasn't transferred was the data settings, so I had low data mode enabled on my SE, but my 13 slurped down 90% of my monthly data just during the initial setup before I noticed.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
iCloud backup always for me. 1-2 times a year, I back up via my MBP, but only if I remember or are installing iOS PB.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
I dont! Everything is already in the cloud… I can reinstall my apps no problem.

MrAperture

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2017
SF, CA
2TB iCloud. Best $10 spent monthly for peace of mind.

I used to store backups on my computer but realized that I’d have to keep external hard drives around or remember to backup on a periodic schedule. Then I’d have to worry about how hard drives have a finite lifespan.

And then I read or hear horror stories about people trying to recover photos and videos from devices or hard drives. No thanks.

I place a premium on photos and videos; they are priceless.

Reactions: Gix1k

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
If you end up on the wrong side of the law in a serious way, the first thing law enforcement does is serve a warrant for your iCloud data which Apple gladly gives to them. They can then clone your latest iCloud backup in to an iPhone test mule and have an exact copy of whatever was on your phone at the time of your last backup. Everything. Warrants are served for iCloud data thousands of times every year. And Apple complies.

You might think you’re backing up your iPhone to Apple’s iCloud, but in reality you’re backing up all your data, unencrypted and wide open, to what essentially is FBI servers.
If you’re fine with that, then that’s fine… but it’s best to know beforehand.

MrAperture

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2017
SF, CA
If you end up on the wrong side of the law in a serious way, the first thing law enforcement does is serve a warrant for your iCloud data which Apple gladly gives to them. They can then clone your latest iCloud backup in to an iPhone test mule and have an exact copy of whatever was on your phone at the time of your last backup. Everything. Warrants are served for iCloud data thousands of times every year. And Apple complies.

You might think you’re backing up your iPhone to Apple’s iCloud, but in reality you’re backing up all your data, unencrypted and wide open, to what essentially is FBI servers.
good thing I don’t do anything illegal

jcp007

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2020
Third Rock From the Sun
My 13 Pro Max is my second iPhone. Does anyone have more than one iPhone showing up in their iCloud storage? My last 12 Pro Max backup is taking up slightly less than 1GB. I traded in the 12 Pro Max the day I got my 13 Pro Max.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008

That’s good to know, but nothing I’d ever need to be concerned with.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
My 13 Pro Max is my second iPhone. Does anyone have more than one iPhone showing up in their iCloud storage? My last 12 Pro Max backup is taking up slightly less than 1GB. I traded in the 12 Pro Max the day I got my 13 Pro Max.
Delete the backup and it won’t be there anymore.

Reactions: jcp007

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
2TB iCloud. Best $10 spent monthly for peace of mind.

I used to store backups on my computer but realized that I’d have to keep external hard drives around or remember to backup on a periodic schedule. Then I’d have to worry about how hard drives have a finite lifespan.

And then I read or hear horror stories about people trying to recover photos and videos from devices or hard drives. No thanks.

I place a premium on photos and videos; they are priceless.
I went ahead and subscribed to the 2Tb plan. Like you, pics and vids are very important to me. As of now, backing up my phone and my daughters, I’m using 257gb.

Reactions: MrAperture

jschnee21

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2018
iCloud, naturally, for settings and other device config details.

But also Google Photo AND Amazon Photo for photos and videos.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Not sure it was answered yet, but say I go buy a new iPhone now, will an iCloud restore put my phone back to exactly how this one is, apps, order, content, etc? The local restore does this.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Another question, if I upload all my pics and vids to iCloud will they appear on my daughters phone or just my Mac and iPad, ATV? I have her sharing iCloud storage, but her phone has its own Apple ID.

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
200GB iCloud plan. Best money spent. I don’t care if FBI/DEA/CIA have access to my stuff. I’m not el Chapo nor do I engage in any illegal stuff. If the time comes I do I’ll use another device with no back up.

Reactions: MrAperture

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
How do you all backup?
Since Apple holds the encryption key for iCloud, not me, I use Apple Configurator 2 and store encrypted backups on my Mac.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Another question, if I upload all my pics and vids to iCloud will they appear on my daughters phone or just my Mac and iPad, ATV? I have her sharing iCloud storage, but her phone has its own Apple ID.
If iCloud Photos is turned on in iCloud settings, then any device using the same Apple ID will be able to access them.

Reactions: Gix1k

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
If iCloud Photos is turned on in iCloud settings, then any device using the same Apple ID will be able to access them.

Thanks! That’s a bit dangerous for Apple TV. Access to my pics to anyone using our TVs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.