How do you deal with the 3G's glossy plastic back?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSpaz, Mar 30, 2009.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

The only thing I hate about my iPhone 3G is that stupid glossy back. I can't seem to keep my hands clean enough to use it without getting it all marked up with finger prints. It drives me slowly insane. I find myself constantly wiping it completely before putting it back in my hip holster. Please note, I tried cases and frankly, I can't stand the bulk they add... plus, if I use a case, I can't put it in my holster anymore and I have to take the case off to dock it.

I'm not worried about scratches, but my 3G is starting to crack by the volume switch and ringer switch too. I'm not a big fan of this plastic other than it gives me better reception.

So my question is... does the plastic bother you the same way it bothers me? I long for an iPhone 3G with a matte, 1-piece back that doesn't scratch.

The glossy plastic was the worst idea. I guess when Apple was designing this, they didn't think about actually touching it.

Note: I've had thoughts about trying to find a way to take the glossy coating off the iPhone by rubbing it or using a chemical, but I have no idea if either of those things will work and I don't want to risk ruining my iPhone completely.

2. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

I agree. The back is a fingerprint magnet. I use an Incase Slider, which is completely resistant to fingerprints, (Or maybe since it's white idk).

3. mark34 macrumors 6502a

I dealt with the problem by buying a white one... no problem!

the first time I saw the black one I knew that my OCD would kill me.

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Fingerprints are not a problem on the back of my iPhone, they don't show at all on the white plastic. :D

5. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

The OP has a white iPhone.

6. GreggM3 macrumors 6502

I put a strip of clear packing tape over it to protect from simple scratches but then I used some flat black Avery tape that we use to cover chrome trim on BMW's to give it the "Shadowline" look of the M3 and M5. It's great. Durable, scratch resistant and it gives the phone a stealthy look. No bright shiny plastic or chrome Apple logo to be seen.:D

7. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Yes I do.... just the fact that I *know* the 'prints are there bother me. I can see them if I hold it just right in the light, but more importantly, I can feel the greasiness as I hold it. I can't touch my iPhone if I just ate something... I have to wash my hands first. It seems like no matter how I try to keep my hands clean, the natural oils still produce fingerprints and general slime on the back.

Yes, this is why I got white... the black iPhone would absolutely destroy me.

By the way... someone on here was complaining how their iPhone was getting dull from slipping it in and out of his jeans pocket all the time. I wonder if there's a way to do that on purpose. He said the gloss coating was wearing off.

8. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I didn't notice that. :eek:

I think you have way, way bigger problems than just a glossy backed phone. :p

9. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

You remind me of me when I was young... lol, just kidding, I'm probably younger then you are. :D

I used to be a crazy man keeping the finger prints off the back of my iPhone, used to drive me nuts.

Now, I've come to understand that its tough, and I just have to put up with it. Now keeping the iMac clean, now thats a tad easier. :rolleyes:

10. Macjames macrumors 6502a

Well given the screen is on the front i don't tend to be looking at the back.:rolleyes:

11. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

12. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

This.

13. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

+1 ^^^ my Ritalin has three more refills.......

14. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Man, you would hate to see how dirty my iPhone's gotten.

15. diemos macrumors 6502

^^ lol.

16. siorai macrumors 6502

The back of my phone is covered in scratches and smudges. I deal with it by realizing that it is a phone and not a priceless heirloom.

17. mattroman246 macrumors 6502

mattroman246

18. The Phazer macrumors 68030

19. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

This or this.
    No more fingerprints and a less slippery, harder to drop phone.

20. danimal99 macrumors regular

I had a SwitchEasy Capsule Rebel case waiting for it as soon as I got my 3G. The back is out of sight, out of mind.

However, there is this air bubble under one corner of the front clear shield that lost its sticky, that is gonna make me go mental one day soon. I have another shield, I'm just seeing how long I can go without finally breaking down and ripping this one off.

It is a daily struggle. :)

21. nielsvl macrumors newbie

22. iFerd macrumors 6502a

Incipio Feather case for the back. Matte black.

23. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Another quality thread from TheSpaz. :rolleyes:

It's a phone. Who cares if the back of it gets scratched!? Do you often hold your phone backwards, examining the plastic case? I tend to hold my phone with the screen facing me, I justfind it easier to use that way. You might give it a shot.

You also might want to see a doctor about your OCD. They have medicine for that, you know. ;)

24. fishepa macrumors regular

LOL...great stuff.

25. jbode macrumors member

nielsvl I agree the rebel case is pretty sweet and you can hold on to your phone better -so you don't have to worry as much about dropping it.

As for finger prints, I don't waste my time looking for them.