Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 15, 2016
http://www.macotakara.jp/blog/rumor/entry-30565.html

57c51ae435b5f.jpg

Reactions: Jetcat3

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
As long as it has black bezels, I am good. I put a Sedio Surface case on my iPhones. Super thin and a nice rubbery like grip like a Thinkpad cover give it a good feel. Naked iPhones are too slippery for me. Color does not matter as long as it is not that ugly pink even though I will not see it.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Pandering.

Apple knows the buzz about the phone is less than expected. Demand for black has been there since the 5s. Only now when they know sales will flag do they introduce it.

Not because it's what the customer wanted but because Apple wants sales.

In any case, I won't be manipulated to buy a phone I believe is fuglier than my current 6s+ just because they finally deigned to give the color black back to customers who've been asking for it for a long time.

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
Pandering.

Apple knows the buzz about the phone is less than expected. Demand for black has been there since the 5s. Only now when they know sales will flag do they introduce it.

In any case, I won't be manipulated to buy a phone I believe is fuglier than my current 6s+ just because they finally deigned to give the color black back to customers who've been asking for it for a long time.

Your faux outrage is hilarious. Thanks for the chuckle.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Pandering.

It's not pandering, the iPhone 7 will be a nice upgrade for many people, just because it may not be for you, doesn't mean it's pandering!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Your faux outrage is hilarious. Thanks for the chuckle.
You should review my posts about how Space Gray is not black.

It'll leave you rolling on the floor laughing. :D
[doublepost=1472920567][/doublepost]
It's not pandering, the iPhone 7 will be a nice upgrade for many people, just because it may not be for you, doesn't mean it's pandering!
What do you call it then when a company only decides to honor a longstanding customer request in order to make up for sales they know they will lose?

As opposed to granting that request when sales are good?

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
What do you call it then when a company only decides to honor a longstanding customer request in order to make up for sales they know they will lose?

As opposed to granting that request when sales are good?

Sales they will lose? The iPhone 7 and 7 Plus haven't even been announced yet. The iPhone sells in its millions, it's sales are something other companies like Samsung can only dream of, so I don't think Apple need to or are pandering to anyone. They introduced a new colour last year, that wasn't pandering, in fact the 6s broke Apples own records for sales, and that was after people were complaining (much like this year) that it will only be a small upgrade.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Sales they will lose? The iPhone 7 and 7 Plus haven't even been announced yet. The iPhone sells in its millions, it's sales are something other companies like Samsung can only dream of, so I don't think Apple need to or are pandering to anyone. They introduced a new colour last year, that wasn't pandering, in fact the 6s broke Apples own records for sales, and that was after people were complaining (much like this year) that it will only be a small upgrade.
My argument is not that Apple sales will be bad, far from it. They will make a killing and set records like they usually do.

But Apple itself has admitted earlier this year that sales are less. A decline has been shown. Those sales are still the kind of sales other manufacturers can only dream about, but it is a decline.

That said, there are some people here (on MacRumors) who have declared they will not be upgrading to the iPhone 7 because they believe it's only a minmal upgrade and the body style from the 6 series has not materially changed. I am in that group.

But some of those same people WOULD buy the iPhone 7 if Apple offered it in some form of black. Hence Apple regains a sale they ordinarily would not get.

I see that as pandering. Because only now after a decline in sales is Apple offering black (if the rumor is true).

Not pandering would have been listening and giving customers black when the 6/6+ launched.

As far as the introduction of Rose Gold last year…was anyone asking for that color? Was anyone asking for Gold when the 5s came out? No. People were asking for Black. Gold came because Apple had a developing market in China and I don't know where the hell they got the idea for Rose Gold. But people were clamoring for black and Gold and Rose Gold is what Apple gives. Until now.

I may be the only one who holds this opinion. That's ok because this thread asked for my opinion.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Pandering.

What's wrong with providing a new colour that customers might like? Of course Apple does it to help sell phones. They're a business. Anyone who is "manipulated" into spending several hundred dollars on a product just because of a new colour was probably not going to be a hard sell anyway.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I keep wondering if the camera position on the iPhone 7 will be altered just enough that the iPhone 6 case won't fit?

Probably, but Apple's official cases are way overpriced anyway. You can get 3 or 4 perfectly good cases off of Amazon for the price of one Apple leather case. Don't even talk about the case + smart cover combo (now sold as two separate pieces) for an iPad.

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
I really didn't like space grey after using my slate black iPhone 5 for 2 years. Bought a black power support air-jacket case to make my space grey 6+ appear black. One thing nice about bend-gate, it made me more aware and careful of how I handle my phone. If the black finish is nice, I would consider keeping it naked for the first time since the 1st gen iPhone.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
What's wrong with providing a new colour that customers might like? Of course Apple does it to help sell phones. They're a business. Anyone who is "manipulated" into spending several hundred dollars on a product just because of a new colour was probably not going to be a hard sell anyway.
Nothing wrong with that.

It's the timing I object to. Apple has a history of ignoring the customer until it suits their purpose.

Yes, they are a business and they are in this for profit. I get that. But as a customer if I don't like the way they do business I can register my disappointment by witholding my money.

People witholding their money is a great motivator for business. It's the reason Apple now offers the iPhone SE. And now it might be the reason they offer black again.

But Apple isn't doing that out of the kindness of their hearts - they're doing it because they want me (and others) to give them my money. It's not because they are responding to what the customer wants. Hence, manipulation of the customer to buy.

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I'm hoping that the matte black option will look great. Piano black sounds like it will quickly transform to smudge black, and I carry my iphones naked. The iPhone 5 slate black was my favorite iPhone color.

Reactions: AmazingTechGeek

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Nothing wrong with that.

It's the timing I object to. Apple has a history of ignoring the customer until it suits their purpose.

Yes, they are a business and they are in this for profit. I get that. But as a customer if I don't like the way they do business I can register my disappointment by witholding my money.

People witholding their money is a great motivator for business. It's the reason Apple now offers the iPhone SE. And now it might be the reason they offer black again.

But Apple isn't doing that out of the kindness of their hearts - they're doing it because they want me (and others) to give them my money. It's not because they are responding to what the customer wants. Hence, manipulation of the customer to buy.

Yes. I agree with all of that. I don't expect Apple or any other company to do things out of the kindness of their hearts. It's alarming sometimes how many people seem to think that they are in some kind of a relationship with a company, where they are owed kind gestures and warm thoughts for their loyalty.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
I thought Apple moved away from the black iPhone during the 5S days due to the scuffing problems seen on the 5. So, have they moved to a new material or a finishing process now that they can return to the black color? Otherwise, there will be howls of outrage from people suffering from the black paint chipping away.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I thought Apple moved away from the black iPhone during the 5S days due to the scuffing problems seen on the 5. So, have they moved to a new material or a finishing process now that they can return to the black color? Otherwise, there will be howls of outrage from people suffering from the black paint chipping away.
It's my personal opinion (and opinion only) that proper anodization of the metal was more costly to Apple. So, instead of properly hardening the metal they simply chose to reduce the anodization time. That results in a lighter color that still scratches the same but because it is lighter hides those scratches better.

Neucase is proof that the anodization of black can be done properly. Apple just chose not to do it.

If they are offering black this time it's because they finally decided to do it correctly.

Again, just my opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.