How do you feel about yourself?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MACDRIVE, Jul 13, 2007.

1. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I've never liked myself; I've always been my own worst enemy. If a little kid was chasing his/her ball out into the street and was about to get run over by a truck, I wish I could be the one to push them out of the way at the last second. Everyone would then think of me as a hero; someone who gave their life willingly for the purpose of saving someone else's. Maybe I'd even be on the fricking national news. :mad:

What about you, do you like yourself?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I frickin' love myself.

Don't do the truck thingo. We'll miss you too much mate. :)

3. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

The OP makes me sad.

When it comes down to it, the one thing you'll always have is yourself. You've got to figure out a way to like your own skin and all that is within. I think a lot of people go on for decades not being very happy with themselves and then one day they say, "Oh sh*t. What was I doing wasting all the time self loathing? I gotta get out of the house, do something fun, define myself. I can't believe I wasted so much time hating myself!!!"

Sometimes life requires some dramatic change, but don't do the truck thing. Do something else that is positive for yourself, your future, and everyone around you!

4. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Narcissistic are we? J/k. I love myself too most of the time. Sometimes life's rough or you know you're screwed up. But I usually try to look at brighter and better things to come.

5. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I won't spray sunshine down your throat in retaliation but that post was slightly worrying. I hope you're able to find more self-worth than that, and soon.

To answer your question, I am not very happy with myself. No amount of changing my situation in life has completely taken away that deep feeling of self-loathing. I still think I am ugly, useless and stupid and unworthy of what I have. I made a tremendous leap forward and (believe it or not) I'm happier than I've ever been but it's laced with perpetual guilt and insecurity. Such is life I suppose, nothing is perfect... fooling yourself into thinking so is premeditating your disappointment. It might sound bleak but it's realistic and sometimes comforting, albeit in a cold way. Perhaps the best anyone can do is find a place in their life they can stand and hope the rest comes together in time. I like where I am even if I don't necessarily like who I am.

6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I think my own jokes are funny, even when nobody else does.

It's rather convenient that way.

7. furious macrumors 65816

furious

8. bartelby macrumors Core

I'm don't like myself much. I'm stupid, ugly and generally useless. When I have things I need to do I have zero motivation to do them and I have an attention span of about 2 minutes.

9. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

For me, there's always good days and bad days. There are days that i look into the mirror and just want to close my eyes. There are days i feel so tired of the world around me i just want to sleep and never wake up. But for most days, i feel pretty good about myself. I don't know how much actual appearance comes into play. Many people have complimented on my looks, but sometimes you just don't see it. No one's perfect, you just have to accept the bad part of you and thrive on the good part. I sometimes wish i have qualities of others, but i find those moments are getting less and less as i learned to love myself. I was once so unhappy with myself, but finding good friends and realizing that people do like me for who i am has helped me.

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I can't get enough of myself. Those lonely nights by myself......those are the best nights. Holding myself....carressing myself.......touching myself........

...Um....I guess I'm alright. ;)

11. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

To right.

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I think that it is important to like the person in the mirror.

Like as in acceptance. Accept who you are and make the most of it.

Otherwise, if you can't do that, then how can you grow as an individual?

13. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

With my hands, or on occasion, a feather duster. MACDRIVE: try the feather duster. Beats a truck any day.

My problem with the self-sacrificing saviour type is that it's a purely Darwinian way to weed out the selflessness of our species. Given enough unfortunate children playing in traffic, we'd eventually be reduced to a selfish race that would watch the kids die rather than help. Catch-22.

14. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Natural selection and survival of the fittest has to do with an individual's ability to survive and pass on his genes. While getting killed because you pushed a kid out of the path of a moving truck and got run over in the process certainly might eliminate your chances of spreading your seed, I don't think it reduces your ability to do so in any way. In terms of Darwinism, selflessness is what allows more baby elephants to stay alive on the African savannah, with not only the mother and father protecting a calf, but other senior elephants in the herd as well.

As for me, I've always felt kind of bad about myself, and I like to place blame on where and how I grew up and was raised. I have no idea of course, but I know that life usually ends up working out, and if you surround yourself with people you like and who like you, jealousy and insecurity can't take you down, even if you feel it, because there's always something to turn to, and you're okay with yourself.

15. maccam macrumors 6502a

maccam

Yikes, yeah I love myself! I'm pretty much the best person out there. ;)

16. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I hate myself. You won't meet too many people with less self esteem than me.

17. Queso macrumors G4

Oh yeah. I love myself in a way that only Russell Brand can equal. And why not? I'm totally brilliant!!! And anyone who even thinks otherwise is just a big old loser :)

Yeah really. I'm that good!!

18. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

i actually kinda like myself a little bit. there have been times in my life that i've loathed myself, but these days i'm generally pleased with myself. i don't contribute anything fantastic to the world, but i really try not to jack it up too badly, either.

in my mind, that makes me an o.k. person. :eek:

oh, and some days i feel a little bit pretty. :cool:

19. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Do you feel pretty? Oh so pretty? Pretty, and witty, and gay? And do you pity any girl who isn't you today? :p

I think I agree w/ iBlue in the whole, feeling guilt for what I have (and er, just guilty overall) as well as feeling insecure. I'm sure I've got some strengths, but it's much easier for me to come up with my weaknesses. :eek:

20. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I dunno how I feel about myself, I guess it depends on the day.

I think I am overly judgmental which is probably a result of my constant self-consciousness. It annoys me because when people compliment me, I never know if they are being honest or are just being polite. In some respects, I am jealous of other people, which just makes me feel bad about myself because a) I don't have what they have and b) the fact that I am jealous. I know that I have a lot to be thankful for but I can never bring myself to being thankful, and I just dwell on how I wish my life could be better.

A lot of the time I am happy, or I just pretend to be content with everything, I don't think I am "depressed" per say, I am just critical of everything. Additionally, sometimes I think I think too much.

21. ibook30 macrumors 6502a

ibook30

Ha :) Makes me think of a Tom Waits line:

selfish about my privacy
    as long as I can be with me
    we get along so well I can't believe

I love to chew the fat with folks
    and listen to all your dirty jokes
    I'm so thankful for these friends
    I do receive

One of the strange things about how I feel about myself: it's just a feeling, not a matter of fact. Sometimes I forget that - and think because I feel lousy I am the same. It's not really like that.

Right now I feel great about myself, today looks good and my "self image" is in focus.

22. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

We all have our strengths and weaknesses. It's not worth much effort to worry about the characteristics you can't change, and for the rest you can pick and choose what you want to work on improving, and accept that you aren't interested in changing some things about yourself.

I have a huge backlog of reading to do, and I can never catch up: books, magazines, journals, forum threads, backs of cereal boxes. It's my fault for planning to read more than I have time for or (said another way) spending more time on activities other than reading, and I know it's my fault. But I realize that I'd rather live with that low-level frustration than change my habits. "What, me worry?"

For other failings, I hope to do better. For example, I know practically nothing about how automobiles work. It annoys me just enough that I'm working on improving my knowledge, a bit at a time. So far so good: I now know which end of my car the engine is in!

23. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I'm better now that I've found a career I enjoy - teaching.

That and the meds. ;)

24. rockosmodurnlif macrumors 65816

rockosmodurnlif

I. Am. Awesome!

Love that movie!

25. KristieMac macrumors 6502a

KristieMac

Most days I like myself and I think I'm pretty great.

I regularly question my own value, though, because other people disregard me. And I wonder how I can be so great if no one else thinks so. My final conclusion usually ends up being that I suck.