Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheLondonFella

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 6, 2014
Loads of folders?

A "page" for each category of app?

Most used apps on the Home Page?

Minimalist?

Hoarder?!

I had to rearrange my apps, a couple of iOS versions back. I found that too many folders was the cause of animation stutter on my iPad 4 (believe it or not, this is one of the main reasons for me pre-ordering the new 9.7" iPad Pro!).

However, I find that I end up not using many of my installed apps as they tend to get "forgotten". They may be on "page" 5, for example, thus I forget about them!

Will be nice to have an iPad that can remain fluid/stutter free ... even with Reduce Transparency turned off!

So, how do you "organise" your iPad?

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
First off my home screen background is absolute pure black. No imagery. No perspective zooms.

And i only have 2 homescreen pages - front page is all my daily used apps, second page is folders only storing my general crap. The home dock has another regular 6 apps assigned to it.

TheLondonFella

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 6, 2014
Nice to see you again, mate ;-)

Sounds like you've got your apps under control.

That's what I used to do, before the "stutter!".

Do you find that you tend to have apps "squirrelled" away in folders, which subsequently go unused?

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
Hi matey

Im just a control freak :p. Love to be super organised.

I have probably 1000 apps downloaded and stored in itunes over the years. But i try to keep installed stuff to a minimum if i can. Just because why not. Touch of ocd? Truth be told i could probably delete another armful of unused apps from my device if needed. But i find apps like books - i just like having them around, even if i never use them.
[doublepost=1459245417][/doublepost]And then, do you organise your other mobile devices and desktop devices similarly to each other? Do you like personal 'themes' running across your tech?

Reactions: TheLondonFella

TheLondonFella

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 6, 2014
[doublepost=1459245417][/doublepost]And then, do you organise your other mobile devices and desktop devices similarly to each other? Do you like personal 'themes' running across your tech?

I certainly do ...

... but can't, with the the stutter on this iPad 4!!

8-0

Reactions: sjleworthy

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Definitely main page for all of my most frequently used apps. Anything I don't use on a daily basis gets organised into folders by category. The dock has the apps I access dozens of times a day.

I hate mess in general, my iOS devices are no exception.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
As a teacher,

89d5432b6fdbe61dbd3e6893db2745ff.jpg
434de628a8c5c4bc9f678ffa2bedfc85.jpg
e0f9fe82893115f82a3bbe691f229bab.jpg

1st page is all the apps I use for work and teaching.
2nd page is all my entertainment apps (mostly news apps, podcast, video streaming, music).
3rd page is everything else, from games to stray utility apps to widgets, content blockers, shopping apps etc.

Edit - Weird. Uploaded the photos from Tapatalk but apparently they didn't appear.

Last edited:

Sparky2012

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2012
United Kingdom
Only thing I tend to do is have all stock apps on the first page and put the unused stock apps into a folder on the first page. I also put the YouTube app on the first page like it used to be years ago when it came stock with the OS. They were the good ol' days ;)

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Definitely main page for all of my most frequently used apps. Anything I don't use on a daily basis gets organised into folders by category. The dock has the apps I access dozens of times a day.

I hate mess in general, my iOS devices are no exception.

I organize mine in exactly the same way, using two pages.

Cascades42

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2016
UK
I recently had to wipe my Air 2 and start over so decided to use the same approach I use on my iPhone - everything in one page, the minimum number of folders possible, and things organised inside the folders by more exact types. Realistically I use search 90% of the time to find things so for quick access they're on the home page, for fairly quick they're on the front page of the relevant folder, for everything else they're inside the folder and found with search.

When I'm teaching I do put teaching specific apps on the second page and then swap the page order via my Mac which is very useful.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I had to delete all the apps from my MBP. Syncing through the years I accumulated GBs upon GBs of apps. Useless to have them sit in an iTunes folder. When I restore I do so over WiFi, so I redownload from the Appstore. My MBP SSD is too valuable to store that many apps. I've lost some apps that have been removed from the Appstore, but that's a first world problem.

TheLondonFella

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 6, 2014
By the way (as stated in my original post) the cause of animation lag on older devices *IS* the result of too many folders.

This drove me nuts for ages, then one day when I removed all folders it cleared it up instantly.

All of those "Erase All Content and Settings" for nothing!

Just thought I'd point that out ...

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I had to delete all the apps from my MBP. Syncing through the years I accumulated GBs upon GBs of apps. Useless to have them sit in an iTunes folder. When I restore I do so over WiFi, so I redownload from the Appstore. My MBP SSD is too valuable to store that many apps. I've lost some apps that have been removed from the Appstore, but that's a first world problem.

I had this same issue as well. I ended up buying a 2TB external hard drive and figured out how to move my entire iTunes Library - music, apps and all, over to the external hard drive via wifi network at home. My MacBook Pro SSD needed some breathing room! :)

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
I don't organize my iPad very well. My iPhone is in much better shape. I originally bought my first iPad with the idea that I was going to use it exclusively to enhance my home studio setup. That didn't last (nor should it have, as there's so many other great things you can do with iPads), but I still have all my music apps out and most of the other apps in poorly organized folders. I want to get everything better organized and in proper folders before switching over to the Pro. That works really well for me on my iPhone, and even with Launchpad on my MacBook.

sflomenb

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2011
I organize my iPhone and iPad the same way.

I keep the default home screen for each OS update and then put all of my App Store apps into folders by category.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I only like having one screen. I have my most used apps, organized by certain colors, as I don't like two apps of the same color above or next to each other. Then I have the settings app in the bottom right and an "Apps" folder next to it on the left with the rest of the apps that I use.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I have three screens.

First screen - my most used apps.

Second screen - the rest of my apps except games, organized in folders.

Third screen - GAMES!

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
All in one page, with specific folders e.g. Games, News, Media, Productivity etc...
Same here. I've always had reduce animations enabled (ever since iOS 7) so perhaps that's why I don't see any stutter while browsing the home screen.

itsOver9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2013
B.F., KS
Page 1 and dock: most used apps.
Page 2: rarely used apps, couple folders for specific apps.
Page 3: one folder with all the apps I never use so I don't have to see them and can forget they're there.

I used to have all my apps start on page 2 so I could enjoy my background picture without a bunch of apps getting in the way. I got tired of swiping to page 2 all the time though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.