How do you relax?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Hieveryone, May 5, 2019.

1. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

I’m the kind of person who is always doing something. At best I take short breaks on YouTube, macrumors, and so on.

I’m not really into tv or any other hobbies. I’m not the kind of person to sit by the pool and drink a cocktail or just read a book.

I’m looking for tips on how to relax and what hobbies I could take up.

I really don’t have a hobby.

2. Mefisto macrumors 6502a

Mefisto

I like to play guitar to kind of take myself out of the normal stuff I would otherwise do while at home, ie. being on the computer, watching TV, listening to music or doing chores. Clears the mind nicely, unless it's a new song I'm working through and practicing.

Maybe try picking up an instrument? The next one on my list is a Ukulele, which is a great, compact alternative if a guitar seems to daunting at first. No reason it really shoud, but it may.

3. chown33 macrumors 604

I find it relaxing to drive around in my Lambo, with my model girlfriend, who's also a PhD chemist.

For extra enjoyment, we invent fanciful tales about the plebeians we see. It's very amusing, in a Nietzschean sort of way. I'm afraid you might not understand that unless you've read some books.

4. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Maybe get a couple houseplants. They could even become a thing, you just never know.

Anyway here's an article and video about a fairly impressive obsession copped to by a Cornell-trained environmental scientist, entomologist, activist, model and teacher named (yeah really her name) Summer Rayne Oakes. She got a couple houseplants once and has ended up with more than a thousand houseplants in her Brooklyn apartment, has branched out into helping with some Brooklyn community gardening, running a YouTube channel about houseplants, teaching people how to garden via an online houseplants masterclass. All that from once upon a time scarfing up a few houseplants from some supermarket or florist's shop to freshen the air in a Brooklyn apartment.

The piece is from The New Yorker's Culture Desk (April 18, 2019).

5. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

Straight Relaxing: I'd say drinking some whiskey and watching a classic movie.

Relaxing Activities: I find carpentry relaxing. My only thoughts are what I'm working on. Finish work like sanding, staining/painting is the best. Planning, cutting and fitting can be a bit annoying at times. Just made some bird houses recently. My current project is a pair of cedar planter troughs.

Mowing the lawn and light yard work is relaxing. Just puttering around the yard on the riding mower without a care in the world on a cool spring day with The Rolling Stones playing on my headphones is great.

Exterior house painting on a cool day. With a hint of dampness in a breeze. Makes me think of the beach for some reason.

6. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I relax by buying companies and personally firing everyone.

7. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

LOL! I actually laughed out loud.
    --- Post Merged, May 5, 2019 ---
    I love plants, even fake ones. Would love to keep a bunch of nice plants and small potted trees around.

But do you think they’d cause allergies? I get bad allergies.
    Yeah I know somebody who loves working on his yard but I don’t think he does it for the yard more than he does it bc he finds it relaxing. Just a guess.
    I used to play guitar but when you’re not very good it can be more stressful than relaxing LOL

8. Fravin macrumors regular

Fravin

I love photography.
    As I live in Rio, it's easy to visit nice places to snap some photos. Down here is quite easy to be in touch with nature. It's kinda relaxing!

And obvously is there a sort of discussion regarding cameras and gear. This techy side of us...
    Take a look:
    www.instagram.com/fravin

9. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

WOW nice photos!

Are these taken with the new iPhone XS or the Max???

10. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I’m serious. I do this.

11. radiologyman macrumors 6502a

Nice back yard, serenity. Checking MacRumors, etc on my Macbook 12. Drinking tea, slowly eating something.

12. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

13. RickGrimes macrumors member

RickGrimes

14. Tech198 macrumors G5

What about parasailing?

I don't really relax... as i have plenty to keep me occupied... no time.

15. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

That sounds nice!
    I’m actually looking at MacBooks on eBay. Even bidded on one but lost.

Sounds stressful but it’s actually pretty fun and relaxing for me.

16. OdT22 macrumors regular

OdT22

There’s no such thing. But you can imagine it.

17. Geert76 macrumors 68000

which is legal here in my country and crazy cheap :p

18. juanm, May 6, 2019
    Last edited: May 6, 2019

juanm macrumors 68000

juanm

I know exactly the right thing for you to do. Take a garbage bag, go outdoors hiking or whatever, fill the bag with litter that you find along the way, and post it on instagram with the hashtag #trashbagchallenge. Then dispose of the bag as per the local regulations.

19. RickGrimes macrumors member

RickGrimes

Legal in my state here in the US but not cheap lol.

20. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

What I do to relax: Reading. being outdoors. Board games. Road trips, even unplanned long ones. Watching a movie or TV/Series. Spend time with kids and wife. Cook (esp. BBQ). Meditate.

21. Fravin macrumors regular

Fravin

They were shot if Fujifilm cameras and lenses...

iPhone's or whatever other smartphone can't reah that level of detail, colour and contrast.

22. Allyance macrumors regular

Allyance

Ride my VFR800 when ever I can (Avatar). At my age (75) about the only physical activity I enjoy.

23. Akrapovic macrumors 6502

Akrapovic

I'm teaching myself programming at my own pace.

I watch a lot of motorsport.

That's about it lol.

24. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Maybe branch out in your YouTube adventures... find something that gets you interested in making stuff with your hands, like latch-hooking rugs or some needlepoint or quilting. There are lots of instructive videos for beginners on just about any craft.

We were born wanting to handle things and mess around with them, right? Or satisfy that toddler's urge we all had to bang pots and pans together in the kitchen and learn how to become a grown-up drummer...

Amazing what can you can do with a little needle and thread on some old clothes to disguise a rip with an embroidered decoration or just add something that makes it unique instead of ordinary. Try it! What the heck, that old shirt was headed to the goodwill anyway right? Perfect canvas for your first decorating experiment. All you need is a couple skeins of cotton embroidery thread and some embroidery needles. Any craft shop has them, good to go in person at first instead of shopping online, can ask people for help and ideas, even get free classes at some places.