How do you withstand the verbal abuse?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by milky23, Apr 19, 2007.

1. milky23 macrumors regular

I have somehow found myself surrounded by a large group of PC users who blindly hate Macs, not knowing quite why. They, however, think it necessary to mock and besmirch my beautiful iMac, thinking all Macs can do is "make photo albums" and "look pretty, but not as good as Vista." Again, they really haven't a clue why "Vista is better" or why "Macs suck", and giving them concrete and logical reasons do very little to convince them of their PC-zealotry.

How do you convince non-technical computer users that Macs don't, infact, suck?

The frustrating thing about it all is that I am very well versed in using PC's and I understand the strengths of both systems, yet I still get crap for using a Mac.

Grr.
    I feel so persecuted for being a Mac user :)

2. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I just usually shrug it off. If they start finding it doesn't get to you, they'll stop. You already know you're using a superior OS, and that's all that matters.

3. bartelby macrumors Core

It does make my blood boil that they can be so blinded by Windows. They I just think "Your loss Buddy".

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I take my pants off. Nobody abuses a man with a huge penis and all Mac users have very large penises. :)

5. bartelby macrumors Core

*searches for post where MJ says he's tiny*

Goddamn! Why don't I have searching skills like devilot:(

6. Caezar macrumors 6502

If you can't take the abuse anymore, borrow the guy's peecee, right click on the Internet Explorer shortcut and type the following in the "Target" textbox:
    shutdown -s -t 0

It shuts down the computer immediately whenever the user double-clicks the icon. Normally it takes them a while before they find it out. That should shut them up.

:p

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

8. Analog Kid macrumors 68040

Analog Kid

Depends on what you're using it for and where. For me, it didn't take long before people realized I was getting things done a lot faster than they were and were forced to conclude it was either my superior OS or my superior intellect (leading to the conclusion that those with superior intellect choose Mac...).

Oh, that and my raucous laughter every time the announcement comes over the PA asking everyone to shut down their machines because a zero day virus has made its way into the company. "You got hit by it? Bad luck, man... Can you forward me a copy of it, I'd like to open the file and see what's in there...".

Evil...

9. bartelby macrumors Core

Corrected for accuracy!;)

10. Queso macrumors G4

My guess is all the noise comes from insecurities that their Windows PCs may not be the greatest thing they've always believed them to be., coupled with one of their gang choosing to do their own thing rather than moving with the herd. Just keep using your Mac to do what you need it to without comment and act like you simply don't care what they think. I reckon sooner or later one or two of them will come over and sensibly ask you about it, at which point you can show them some of the things you've discovered about OSX.

Until then, laugh it off. It's their loss :)

11. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Best to laugh off moronic comments from people who have never really used something but have a made-up mind for some reason. Convincing them otherwise is pointless - you might get some grins out of some idle pressing of sore buttons but that'll be it.

12. bartelby macrumors Core

In work someone asked what was wrong with Apple as the PCWorld sales staff tried to push them to buying a PC. Here are a few responses:

Those are from 2 people who work in the IT Dept where I work.
    One has never owned, or even used a Mac. The other had this to say about his experience:

I must point out it was long enough ago for him to be using OS 8:rolleyes:

13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

ignore 'em. its not worth the frustrations and energy in the end. at least that my opinion.

14. Queso macrumors G4

In which case he must love today's Macs. Solaris and OSX aren't that far apart.

15. bartelby macrumors Core

Except for the fact he won't go near them

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I never get crap about using a Mac. I just see a lot of people trying to download little programs and stuff to give XP an OS X look.

My friends call me "tripod."

17. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i think it helps that i don't run around evangelizing my friends of the mac os x experience. i leave them alone with their windows, and they leave me with my mac. it's pretty tame.

18. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I completely agree. There's nothing worse than being preached at.

19. furious macrumors 65816

furious

Show their wives. That you have a huge penis and use a Mac. :p

20. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Thing is, most Mac users know Windows all too well...PC fanboys tend to know nothing about Macs.

Used Windows at home for 3 years or so before I could afford to buy a new Mac. I'm currently typing this on a Dell box running IE 6 on WinXP Pro SP2. Fortunately, my real work is done on the dual 2.5 G5 sitting next to it...

21. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

With the notable exception of lady Mac users, of course. Perhaps they could take their tops off or something?

But I wouldn’t worry about it, milky23 – as others have said it’s just insecurity on their part, if people have the attitude that they don’t like something so deeply ingrained then you’re going to be very hard pressed to alter their opinions easily. So why bother rising to it – just enjoy using your Mac. ;)

22. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I haven't actually done any kind of survey along these lines, but, excluding female Mac users I think you could very well be correct !! ;)

FJ

23. Queso macrumors G4

Hilarious. He'll go a long way.

24. bartelby macrumors Core

It's ok, MJ has done all the research neccessary!

I wish he would, I wish he'd go very far away!

25. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Very glad to hear that, i thought for a horrible minute I was going to get that job :eek:

FJ