How easy is it to text on the iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by APPLEFAN8, Dec 8, 2009.

1. APPLEFAN8 macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

I can't seem to find any threads and did a search. That is really the only thing holding me back from fully committing. What is your guys input? I'll try them this weekend at the Apple Store on 5th avenue in NYC.

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

very easy. I like it a lot because it shows the whole conversation, not just one message at a time. It feels a lot more like a chat.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Personally I find it hard to type on the iPhone with my thumbs, so I use only one finger, which slows down typing. If you have smaller thumbs that may not be an issue, since many say they can text just fine.

4. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

There's definitely an adjustment period if you've never used one before, but I find I can type out messages faster on the soft iPhone keyboard than a hardware RIM or Droid keyboards.

5. Mischka07 macrumors regular

I think you'll get every response in the book. Some people, like myself, type better on a physical keyboard. Others prefer the smoothness of a virtual keyboard. That said, I noticed in Hong Kong that almost no one uses virtual keyboards because it hampers texting.

6. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

I find it much easier to type and text on the iPhone's keyboard than on any ordinary phone that I used before

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Once you get the hang of it its no prob. I type faster than I used to on a regural rubber keypad.

8. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Depends if you're a professional texter, which is impossible to do without physical keyboard.

Other than that, everything takes time to get used to, and millions of users have gotten used to it.

9. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

What defines professional texting? Of its carrier-specific communications (i.e. Calls or Texts), I probably text 95% of the time with 1000-2000 texts a month, and I find the virtual keyboard better. :p

10. alangrehan macrumors regular

I think a professional texter is someone who can text without looking at the phone.

I used to be able to text while driving without taking my eyes off the road and in that sense I love my iphone because it's stopped me using the phone while driving. I could literally use predictive text on the numeric keypad and I knew by the feel of the keypad which button I was pressing.

You definitely have to look at the iphone while typing but I can type on that faster than a normal computer keypad. I can literally text on the iphone as quick as I think it... took a few weeks to adjust but it's pure simplicity after that!

11. ineedamac macrumors 6502

I agree with the above. I do not text a ton but I really like keeping the texts to/from the same person together.

12. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

This is the qualifer, and impossible to do on the iPhone.

13. theNEOone macrumors 6502

Lies, or you're not typing correctly on a computer keyboard. 10 fingers typing beats two thumbs typing any day of the week.

You must be a slow thinker. :p

=|

14. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

I still miss a physical keyboard, but everything else on the iphone outweighs it for me so I deal with it. And I've gotten much faster than when I first got the iphone.

15. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I've gotten so good I don't even have to look at the screen. Some don't believe it, but it's very possible.

16. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Can you do it with one hand?

And with 100% accuracy? If not, still not a professional.

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I really like the text feature on the iPhone, although I do wish all of the messages were time stamped.

18. lemonademaker macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

In a Van Down By The River! Metro Detroit!
    just saw this in the App Store part of the forum.... go get "dragon dictation" in the app store.... FREE text to speech that works really well and you can txt directly from the app... or copy into one of the freebe text programs.... makes texting real fast!!

the 10 minutes of messing around with the app seems to be dead on....well at least with my "michigan accent".. ;)

FYI

19. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Put it this way. The whole conversation feels like an iChat conversation. Typing will depend on how fast you are at the touchscreen keyboard.

20. MDePew24 macrumors regular

MDePew24

Hey Coco, you sayin that a "professional texter" (which I think is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard) NEVER makes a mistake? What if they make one, are they then no longer a "professional texter"? Do they get amateur texter status?

21. Mademan12321 macrumors 6502

This is me in a nutshell.

PS Side Story: Im glad you don't text while driving as I have a friend who totaled his 2007 paid for Toyota Highlander (settlement dough) due to texting after numerous warnings from me. Well now he is driving a 1996 Saturn which barely runs (paid for as well lol). I'd hate to see or read about someone or a group of people getting hurt or killed over sending a message to someone. It's just not worth it.

22. mattroman246 macrumors 6502

mattroman246

soooo easy! i personally prefer it to a physical keyboard. it feels a hell of alot quicker not having to press down on a physical button. the only downside like everyone else said is having to look at the keyboard when you're texting.

23. Bungle73 macrumors member

Do you use the landscape keyboard?

I find it much easier to text using the iPhone's qwerty keyboard than a regular phone's keypad. I can type with two thumbs using the landscape keyboard no problem.
    It's happened.

24. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I type faster using the index finger and middle finger of one hand than two thumbs.

25. Cortezbanks macrumors 6502

It took me a little while to really get fast at typing with the keyboard but now I can type really fast. And the spell correction helps type even faster