How has Mac Changed You?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by imfrog2002, Mar 17, 2008.

1. imfrog2002 macrumors 6502

Okay, I don't know if this has been done before, but I'm wondering if I'm the only one that has noticed my computing habits have changed since I switched to Mac. What am I talking about?

- When I first used Mac, I kept looking for the "Maximize" button, to fill up as much of the screen as possible. Now I try and get all my windows as small as possible to be able to multi-task.
    - I used to be trying to constantly updating my PC. Now my Mac is fast enough that I don't have to.
    - I used to turn off Automatic Updates in Windows. Now I check constantly for new software in Mac, because there's new features, instead of bug fixes and Genuine Advantage checks.

Has anybody else noticed small changes like that since they switched?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

If you're always checking for app updates, I recommend AppFresh: http://metaquark.de/appfresh/

I no longer spend ages trying to 'optimise' my computer, OSX does it pretty well itself. I used to alt+tab, now I'm an Exposé addict.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I'm constantly using Dashboard to check out the local weather and doppler radar, plus I really enjoy playing games that don't crash all the time, and being able to actually close my laptop, plug in a keyboard, mouse, and display and get right back to work, without anyone noticing that I'm not using one of their PCs.

TEG

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

5. Frozentoast macrumors 6502

Frozentoast

The absolute reliance on Quicksilver. My heart sinks when I'm at a workstation without it.

6. Prost264 macrumors newbie

I got my refurb MacBook two weeks ago, now I can't even look at my XP desktop. It just feels like a crap machine when before I got my MacBook I loved using it.

The keyboard feels like crap, I have a beautiful Samsung monitor that now (because of XP) looks like trash, and I'm constantly trying to cmd + H/Q programs and wonder why nothing happens. :rolleyes:

7. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

ya it made me realize that products should work as they are supposed to lol:p

on my windows comp i was always trying to hack into things to make them work, sometimes it would work.

no virus software to slow down the cpu is always a great idea.

im trying new apps as they are usually easy to delete with appdelete as on windows there is always a item left behind

8. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

dude i tried using quicksilver but have no idea how to work it. i tried messing around on it but nothing happened.
    you have any info on it because i love shortcuts, so nice.

9. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Yup. That pretty much says it all.

Next month will mark a year that I've been a Mac convert. Before that, I was heavy into Windows, and thought XP was as good as it could get. Wow, how ignorant I was. :)

To make a long story short, this is how I've changed:

- Amazingly I'm way more familiar with using the command line than I used to be. I know that OS X is primarily meant to be an icon-driven, visual interface, and I love that part too, but there are certain things in my work that have become far, far easier to do now that I can just pop open a terminal whenever I feel like it. I don't need to download PuTTY to interface with our linux servers, because I have ssh already there. Ditto for sftp.

- I've become more mindful or interface design and quality. It amazes me how the OS X interface can look so much nicer and cleaner than XP's or even Vista's aero interface. Even on the exact same monitor, the difference is like night and day. And then I came to the realization: the XP desktop hasn't changed or evolved in almost 7 years now. And the Aero interface? Aside from the translucent effects and preview options, it almost feels like not much has changed... in fact it's almost a step back, in my opinion. then there's the slowdowns and instability inherent in Vista, but that's a whole other story.

I've noticed some folks are quite critical and picky about the look and feel of OS X: they say the new dock looks cheesy, or they were annoyed that menus were "too" transparent in 10.5.0-10.5.1. Sit in front of an XP desktop for a while, and then tell me if you still think these are problems. :D

- I'm spending a lot more time actually DOING things on my computer, and spending a lot less time obsessing over the back-end things that allow work to be done. I'm still aware of what's going on underneath, just because that's how I am, but things just don't break as often on a Mac as they do on Windows, and I'm very thankful for that. :)

(Granted: My OS X experience and especially my transition to Leopard has been uneventful compared to other people on this forum. Maybe I'm just lucky? I don't know).

- Interestingly, using a Mac has made more comfortable with experimenting on different OSes. When I used Windows, I was very afraid of linux and unix-like OSes. I would tolerate using them when I had to, but I really didn't want any more to do with them than was absolutely necessary for me to function at work. Even my personal web server ran Windows, and I only used our single Mac workstation at work when it was necessary (for digital imaging projects, and video work).

But, after a few months of REALLY getting comfortable with OS X, using a Mac full time, and tinkering with all the stuff underneath the Aqua interface, I started working with linux. In November I switched over the personal web server to Ubuntu, and I'm having a blast now. :)

And most importantly, whereas a year ago I could not possibly imagine getting through the day without doing something in Windows, there are now multiple days where I never even touch a machine running a Windows OS. And whereas I used to despise "those Mac/Linux guys" who would frown whenever they were forced to use Windows... I'm now one of "those Mac/Linux guys," and I catch myself frowning in the same circumstance. :)

In the end, I really should thank Microsoft for fumbling so badly with Vista. They cheated me out of my money for the OS upgrade, horribly disappointed me, and motivated me to give Macs a more serious look. And I think I'm much better now off now for it. :D

10. dopey220 macrumors 6502

dopey220

I used to be old and boring like John Hodgman, but now I'm young and hip like Justin Long.

11. siorai macrumors 6502

You hit the key combo for Quicksilver and then type in the first two letters of the name of the program you want to run. Quicksilver will bring up a list of possibilities. The more you use a certain program, the higher up on the list it will be placed.

12. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

wow what i wrote is hardly readable.
    so it just opens programs? i thought it could perform tasks.
    i mean spotlight does the same, just press :apple: spacebar then type then press enter.

13. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

It also does plenty of things, look at the plug ins. For example:
    [​IMG]

14. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Macs lessen my homicidal urges. But they can't go completely ignored...

15. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

Since switching (in 2005) I have noticed that I can't stand maximized windows anymore. On my work PC I am constantly agitated by the fact that XP defualts to maximizing windows. It drives me crazy.

And I cannot imagine computing without Expose and hotcorners.

16. joekix macrumors 6502

joekix

since switching in december of '06, i like computers now. never really cared for computers 'till i got my mac. now i own 3. i've become a geek in my thirties. go figure...

joe

17. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

same.
    i was ehh computer they barely work and it takes me 234239 hours to fix something and pay somebody to fix it.
    now i am totally a nerd.

i second hot corners and expose.
    without it i would kill myself.

BOOOOOOMMMMMM
    Headshot.
    killjoy.
    you where killed by mac
    mac took the lead.

18. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

i'm now a better person.

i love not having to worry about viruses...

19. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I'm actually happy and look forward to using my computers now. Since I have been using only Macs now, I have not gotten upset once. They do what they are supposed to do. The amounts that my browser has crashed has been drastically cut down.

In the past 16 months, I had gotten to the point where using Windows was stressful. Yes, it got so bad that I smashed three laptops in those 16 months.

In short, my two Macs have been good for my general health and my wallet. I don't think I'll be smashing any laptops onto the concrete floor anymore. :D

20. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

It's a computer. It hasn't changed my life.

A few things I do with it that I didn't with my Windows box, however:

BitTorrent - I started using Transmission. Not so much being on a Mac, but simply finding about about it at the time I switched.

Awaken - Never thought to use my computer as my alarm clock. I like using this program a lot.

iCal - I've used this program quite a bit. It isn't quite what I want, though, as the iPod Touch syncing isn't quite what it needs to be for this to be an effective solution to replace my Daily Planner.

21. Bobbi Flekman macrumors regular

As I have trouble with using the Mighty Mouse as a two button mouse I have gotten used to using Ctrl-Click. Now instead of using the right mouse button at work I tend to Ctrl-Click on Windows as well...

22. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

it works on windows?

ctrl < second button < 5 buttons

23. Frozentoast macrumors 6502

Frozentoast

24. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

25. Bobbi Flekman macrumors regular

Ctrl-Click works, but it does different things. Ctrl-Click multiselects, but it is quite annoying when you Ctrl-Click and expect the context menu to drop down (right button behavior).