Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
My wife has a an iPad (Samsung d600 is never on unless she is out) and my daughter would never use a phone as she worries about the signal damaging her brain (she has aspergers), so iMessage is very important to me (as is FaceTime).
And best of all it's free!

oneapplegeek

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
Very important!
I got rid of the text message bundle because of iMessage. Most of my friends are using iPhone, so i don't really have to pay for text message. :D

mushtama

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2012
As I have unlimited texts as part of my contract, iMessage isn't that important to me. As I have whatsapp, as do majority of my friends, I was always able to send pictures/videos for free anyways. Although it is nice to be able to do it directly from the messages app, I wouldn't miss it if it wasn't there.

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
I find iMessage awesome because I can also send video/pictures without paying the exorbitant fees tied with MMS! I think it's like 50 cents for a picture message and probably 100 times that if it were a video recording if sent by MMS.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
iMessage has been great. it means that my phone bill has gone down since i went with the pay-per-use text plan rather than pay for unlimited. that alone has been worth it

bigjim83

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2011
I like it for the group chat. Myself and some of my counterparts have a chat going that we started almost 6 months ago and have not stopped. Everything from work, funny articles, videos, mms, etc. It's pretty awesome.

Matthew9559

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2007
Cleveland, OH
Not at all or me. I know very few people with an iPhone or Mac so I almost never use it. I do appreciate seeing that iMessage takes over though when someone texts me from an iPhone. Pretty cool.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
iMessage is important for my family because my dad's work doesn't have texting enabled, so he can't get them at all on his iPhone. It saves me the trouble from having to e-mail him and waiting until he notices that he has one. The messages are instant and I can communicate with everyone from just my Mac since I use it much more than the phone.

taipan61

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2011
corner starbucks
like it, use it
not a big texter, would rather call, but it does have uses.
also most of family is in the apple camp with some sort of idevice so it saves on the cost of a texting plan

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
With unlimited texts but limited data, and the fact that iMessage regularly didn't work, not very. I've turned it off.

ste1164

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2009
Its not important to me but i like the fact I can send pictures to my friends for free :)

mlmwalt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2010
Philadelphia, Pa, USA
This.

And I find that messages are usually slower to be delivered with iMessage.

I find mine to be slower too. Additionally, if you're in a weak cell area without WiFi, it chews up battery trying to send, and receive delivery confirmation. I made the mistake of sending an iMessage right before putting my phone in the locker at the gym and lost >20% whilst working out. And it ended up going through as text not iMessage. :mad:

Despite the slower sending, I like it. I'm assuming it's a VZ thing and not an :apple: thing. I'm not worried about it either way.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
I really appreciate it as my parents only have an iPad as a mobile device and it allows us to text each other, esp if they are away where they don't have a phone (condo) but do have WiFi access.

I will miss it when I switch to Android.

JerseyDoug

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2012
To be honest, wasn't even aware of MIT until my daughter spent her spring semester in London. Then I started liking the blue text bubbles!

I have an unlimited text plan and only my daughter has an iPhone, so I currently don't find it all that beneficial. As time goes by, I am sure that will change.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
I really appreciate it as my parents only have an iPad as a mobile device and it allows us to text each other, esp if they are away where they don't have a phone (condo) but do have WiFi access.

I will miss it when I switch to Android.
You can use this and still text your parents on Android. It has a service called Beep which is basically like Whatsapp but it works on iPad. It's not intergrated into the OS like iMessage but as long as they never turn off their iPad, it will be nearly the same.

http://www.appshopper.com/social-networking/im-all-in-one-mobile-messenger

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.