Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TWD98j

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2010
It's very useful for me. MOST of those whom I text have an iDevice of some sort. I love to see the blue iMessage bubble and the satisfaction of knowing when an iMessage has been "Delivered". Also, the ability to see when the other person is typing, and being able to send whatever messages regardless of the length, pics, videos, etc over WiFi makes it a HUGE win in my book!

Nowadays, seeing the green text bubble, it just feels like it's sort of disconnected from the iOS ecosystem. I can tell that I sent a message but can't tell if it was received, and have to remain conscious of character count. That said, I'm still hanging onto my grandfathered 1500 texts/month plan, and I probably don't use a 3rd of that amount per month.

I have an iPhone 4S. My Mom has a 3rd generation iPad. My Dad, cousin, sister in law, and several of my associates have an iPhone 4, and a few of my associates even still have a 3GS. Plus I got my lady a 4th gen iPod Touch for Christmas last year so we could FaceTime and iMessage.

Poor thing went to verizon early last year (before we met) for her phone upgrade. Curious about the iPhone 4, they suckered her into a motorola droid 2, and the phone has proven to be an absolute nightmare for her ever since. She's since had to get 2 replacement units from verizon due to software issues. It kept rebooting and crashing on its own, and would even send phantom texts to random contacts. Even the verizon guy said he'd never seen anything like it when she took it in the first time! Needless to say, she appreciates the ease, stability, and fluidity of iOS, and basically uses her iPod Touch as her primary media device. Only uses droid 2 for phone calls and to text non-iOS heads. She can't wait until upgrade eligibility comes her way!

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Not at all important. As of now, only 3 people I talk to have an iPhone. My girlfriend, parents, and the majority of my friends are on Droids or dumb phones, so iMessage has essentially no use for me.

sfxx

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2012
San Jose, CA
I love it. I work in the basement of a dormitory building and we have no 3G coverage whatsoever, iMessage allows me to still text my friends :)

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
imessage is critical to me. Everyone in my family and everyone I work with have iOS, and I use it to have conversations on my phone, iPad, and MBP. It's one major reason I have not gotten a HOX even though I want one.

bordway

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2011
I haven't come to rely on iMessage that often. A lot of people I know have iPhones but not everyone and seeing when they are typing seems to be the only benefit of it (although trivial).

I have unlimited texts so it doesn't matter there either. I couldn't do away with texts because I send a lot of SMS messages to Android users.

The only thing I've noticed about it that actually annoys me is when I'm on the receiving end of an iMessage sent to a group that includes Android users you get every message as if it were a new text and often since I don't know these people it's annoying.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
It's very useful for me. MOST of those whom I text have an iDevice of some sort. I love to see the blue iMessage bubble and the satisfaction of knowing when an iMessage has been "Delivered". Also, the ability to see when the other person is typing, and being able to send whatever messages regardless of the length, pics, videos, etc over WiFi makes it a HUGE win in my book!

Nowadays, seeing the green text bubble, it just feels like it's sort of disconnected from the iOS ecosystem. I can tell that I sent a message but can't tell if it was received, and have to remain conscious of character count. That said, I'm still hanging onto my grandfathered 1500 texts/month plan, and I probably don't use a 3rd of that amount per month.

I have an iPhone 4S. My Mom has a 3rd generation iPad. My Dad, cousin, sister in law, and several of my associates have an iPhone 4, and a few of my associates even still have a 3GS. Plus I got my lady a 4th gen iPod Touch for Christmas last year so we could FaceTime and iMessage.

Poor thing went to verizon early last year (before we met) for her phone upgrade. Curious about the iPhone 4, they suckered her into a motorola droid 2, and the phone has proven to be an absolute nightmare for her ever since. She's since had to get 2 replacement units from verizon due to software issues. It kept rebooting and crashing on its own, and would even send phantom texts to random contacts. Even the verizon guy said he'd never seen anything like it when she took it in the first time! Needless to say, she appreciates the ease, stability, and fluidity of iOS, and basically uses her iPod Touch as her primary media device. Only uses droid 2 for phone calls and to text non-iOS heads. She can't wait until upgrade eligibility comes her way!

The satisfaction of an iMessage being delivered would be better if it actually was delivered whenever it said that!! A lot of the time it's hit and miss for me.

HipHopTrex

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2012
A LOT. almost everyone I text on a daily basis has an iPhone. So it's not only cheaper, but faster for me too I find, when I'm connected to wifi. As I don't pay for data, I wouldn't know if it's a good or bad thing on data though. I've had literally no issues with it, it always goes to my iPod so when I'm charging my phone..I can still text on it!:D

I am Sampson

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2007
Plymouth, UK
No, you'd still be limited to the standard 160 characters... you could just send more of them.

The fact the message is Brocken up into 160 character blocks and sent as separate texts then joined again the other end is interly invisible to me and the recipient so utterly irrelevant. I can write a non iMessage text as long as I want with no issues so no limitation.

do your text messages go overseas at no additional expense? or when the cellular network goes down?

I very very rarely send a text overseas, though obviously that could be a MASSIVE benefit to those who do, but that's not the question in this thread. I've never once noticed my network go down in the 2 years I've had this iPhone.

MrKennedy

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
Wirelessly posted

When iMessage was "new" I thought it was great. But I've noticed that it often reverts back to SMS, even over wifi! Some of my close friends have relocated to different countries and iMessage fails often enough that I can't rely on it when messaging them. What can apple even do to spice up iMessage?

Flesh it out like bbm?

shotts56

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2008
Scotland
Don't use it, its just too unreliable. If one phone is in a wifi zone but isn't logged into that wifi (ie the bars are showing but you haven't proceeded past the log in page), iMessage doesn't work - its shows as delivered but never is. It just gets lost.

My wife was ill in hospital once and didnt receive iMessages from me because of that very reason. If you can't rely on it, particularly in an emergency, its absolutely useless. We both switched it off and went back to SMS.

OutSpoken

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
UK
Not important to me.

I get a gazillion amount of free text bundled in my package every month that I hardly use... and don't have many friends or family with iPhones, most are Android and BB users still...

I really had high hopes for iMesaage when it was annoiunced, thinking it would be the Apple version of BBM. Now I take advantage of Whatsapp more than I do iMessage. Since its multi platform.

Any social IM app that links all users of the major handset makers, i.e Apple, RIM and Google...then they're a winner in my eyes...and that title goes to WhatsApp. It has it's flaws, but I can overlook it as it at least covers the basics in communication.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
I remember making a thread about how turning off iMessage is a good idea since its reported to be unreliable and I was bashed since apparently people in that thread thought it was working flawlessly.

Now this thread has people agreeing with me that it's better to turn the damn thing off. :D

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
When I had my 4S it wasn't that special.

Even thought I have unlimited Text and prefer using Voice whenever I can so it's not that important.

nathdogg

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
Not very important at the moment.

I've only used iMessage on a handful of occasions as most of my friends use blackberrys. I also own a blackberry, so find myself using bbm to communicate with most of them.

I personally prefer the whole user experience of bbm over iMessage, but can see how iMessage would be useful to many people. E.g international texting, sending media and those with limited text plans.

I'm sure Apple will work to improve iMessage in the future as its still a relatively new service. And I may find myself using it a lot more if and when my friends decide to upgrade to ios devices.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
I remember making a thread about how turning off iMessage is a good idea since its reported to be unreliable and I was bashed since apparently people in that thread thought it was working flawlessly.

Now this thread has people agreeing with me that it's better to turn the damn thing off. :D

I wouldn't turn mine off, but I agree it's very hit or miss.

Ray-

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2012
I've had the 4S for about a year now and I can honestly say I've never used iMessage. Everyone I know uses whatsapp, which covers all 3 camps, Android, iOS and BB (if you still count BB as "being in the game").

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
iMessage is getting more and more useful for me as more and more of my friends are getting iPhones. That & Kik for messaging people on Android means I'm using barely any texts :D And I, for one, won't miss SMS. It's the biggest rip off ever.

----------

The fact the message is Brocken up into 160 character blocks and sent as separate texts then joined again the other end is interly invisible to me and the recipient so utterly irrelevant. I can write a non iMessage text as long as I want with no issues so no limitation.

Except it will use multiple texts up...

jent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
Not very important. I use Google Voice, and only rely on iMessage when I need to send pics, which Google Voice can't do due to not having MMS support.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
I can understand if it's useful for our friends across the pond or elsewhere in the world who have limited SMS quotas, but here in the US, it is utterly useless in terms of avoiding SMS charges, as you basically have to have unlimited anyways. It's nice to not have VeriPhone people's texts chopped up, but I wouldn't make a purchasing decision based on it. Maps? GMail? iTunes? Apps? yeah, those are differentiators, but in the US at least, iMessage ain't it. I like it, but it's not something I really care or think about. I just use it when it works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.