How is iOS 7 in day to day use?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by matttye, Sep 4, 2013.

1. matttye macrumors 601

I know everyone likes to talk about the new features of the new OS, which is understandable, but how does everyone find iOS 7 in day to day use? In other words, using the features you actually use daily rather than just trying everything out because it's new?

Looking forward to trying everything out but this is what I most want to know!

Thanks

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

It's fantastic. Runs just as well, if not better than iOS 6 on my iPhone 5. I actually use the Weather app now, and other stock apps I didn't use to use (Reminders, Notes, etc..)

Control Center is a great addition, let me delete the flashlight app I was using. I also really like the weather summary in notification center, as well as seeing my Calendar and the traffic information before going to work/leaving work to go home. Let's me tell my fiancee when I'll be home :)

Overall, it's very smooth and battery life is great, and I'm sure things will only improve with the GM/public release.

3. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

4. chrisrosemusic1 macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

Can't wait now ;)

5. sharts365 macrumors newbie

For me, running the latest beta on iPhone 5 and iPad 4 it's still buggy. Apps crash regularly (Ios apps, Safari, iTunes etc) and rotational issues galore! Not sure how GM is the next release with all the stuff left to resolve but this isn't Job's Apple anymore it's Double Down on Security Cooks. See how well that worked out.

6. zbarvian macrumors 68010

It's ok. The visuals are BAD, sometimes tolerable, and it's fluid on my 5 but certainly not mind-blowing. iOS 6 was definitely speedier, and perhaps a bit smoother too (almost never stuttered). I like some of the design and UX decisions, like the new multitasking, Spotlight placement, Safari tabs and nav bars. Too much white and too many pencil-thin icons.

What will make me stay is the slide to back gesture and the physics. People rarely mention it, but there's more liveliness in iOS 7 thanks to the easing and kinetics of the animations. And the slide-to-back really makes the OS feel more interactive and changes usage patterns for the better.

7. Mabus51 macrumors 6502a

Beta 6 is pretty stable. There are some bugs still lingering that should be fixed with the GM release. The debugger is still running in beta 6 which causes some lag and slow down. This WILL be turned off in the GM & PR so there will be noticeable improvement with older devices running iOS 7 and the 5 should see some speed increase as well. Other than that it's pretty solid, most of us are just waiting for the GM SDK to be available to finalize everything and get our apps updated for public release.

But for day to day use Beta 6 is pretty good. Would be nice to have themes in iOS 7, I generally don't like all the white. Been using dark wallpapers to mimic a darker theme and turned down the contrast way below half but it's not quite the same.

8. richard6r macrumors regular

Please by all means don't say iOS 7 is faster. It really isn't.

My experience was that on some days it worked great. On others for no reason apps for continually crash after repeated launches. Sometimes crashing 5 times before proceeding to work for no disconsernable cause. It does chew through RAM, a fair amount of it. I have an iPhone 5 but for comparison sake I installed it onto my already slow iPhone 4.

On a fresh start with no apps iOS 6 running the iPhone 4 started up with 230 MB of ram.

iOS 7 took 120 MB from the iPhone 4 on a clean start.

That's already more than half of the ram available on that device. My iPhone 5 at the moment has more ram but its to say that iOS 7 uses some pretty intense graphics and it really shows. It runs OKAY at best and isn't recommended to use on a daily device. If someone wants to prove me otherwise download a benchmark and ill do it on my freshly restored iOS 6.

9. KingShoot007 macrumors member

It DEPENDS.If you are used to the old iOS style it may be hard to adapt(speaking from experience).I like the Control Center,but i hope it wont get in the way when i will be recording games(yes I am a Youtuber).

Siri looks quite improved,and can probably do more things then before,and doesn't say:"I don't what you mean by______" :mad:

I do like the change in iOS 7,but i just hope you can turn off Automatic app updating :p

On an iPhone 4 it is SLOW,making it imposible to record the screen.Now i have to get a 4s or 5.

10. zbarvian macrumors 68010

You already can turn off Automatic Downloads in the Store section of Settings.

11. Mabus51 macrumors 6502a

Why would you run a benchmark in a beta OS with the debugger active? Of course it's slower right now. Run the benchmark when the GM is out and the OS can run at full speed. :rolleyes:

12. matttye thread starter macrumors 601

13. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

It's very smooth although multitasking could be a bit faster and I'm certain it will when the GM of iOS 7 is released. Control Center is very handy. Notification Center is better all-round (can access it via the Lock Screen and the Weather summary is good).

It's also little things. For example, your no longer restricted to how many tabs you can have open in Safari, actually, come to think of it, I'm sure there is a limit but I don't know what it is.

In my opinion, beta 6 is very stable and I can't wait to get my hands on the GM!!!

14. Tammster macrumors 6502

Tammster

I am happy to say that I'm still getting pleasure out of the new ios. The last few upgrades I loved at first but it became bored with it after a few weeks. I honestly just love to use it. So many little improvements that make a huge difference to me.

15. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

Like **** off a stick on my 4S. :D

I can't wait for the GM.

16. darkfiber macrumors 6502a

darkfiber

Apps that haven't yet been updated for iOS 7 crashing on a beta version of iOS 7??? Shocking!!

I would think Apps ALWAYS have a reason for crashing. Otherwise they wouldn't crash. :p

17. Zerilos macrumors 6502a

Even with the debugger active, the YouTube video I saw of it being Geekbenched showed the iPhone 5 was slightly faster with the beta version..

18. jdmoore81 macrumors newbie

I've been using it as my daily os since the first beta.....cant wait tip the gm or official release

19. richard6r macrumors regular

What's shocking is that these "apps" ARE optimized for iOS 7, or am I missing something? Is Safari, messages, and FaceTime supposed to crash 5 times in a row and then work out of no where?

20. Bilalo macrumors 6502

Honestly speaking, it feels like home, just so comfortable and relaxing :)

21. denisvj macrumors regular

denisvj

It's working great here in my 4S , most of my problems are with other apps but I know they will be updated as soon as iOS7 is released .

22. ajay96 macrumors 6502

Works fairly well on my 4S. A few stutters here and there but nothing major.

23. C DM macrumors Westmere

Not sure if it's the way the title or something else is worded, but for whatever reason most replies seem to go at it from the point of view of stability/performance (as mine more or less was).

24. MacMilligan macrumors 6502