Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
Apple re-invented itself by focusing on the entire user experience. They control the hardware, the operating system, the App store, the policies for listing applications in the App store, and so on. At the same time, they innovate and continue to improve the user experience. Nokia does not even compete in this arena.

If you are blinded by the lack of a 5MP camera or OLED screen or some other hardware spec, you are obsessed by and focused on one or two trees, whereas Apple is focusing on the forest.

wikoogle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
No it's apple focusing on one tree, user interface, which is awesome and admittedly very very important.

But hardware does matter. Not having to carry around a digital camera with me, be the phone can take steller pictures with flash, and enough MP to be able to print the photos out later and still have them look good, being able to tape 720p video, having the bright vivid vibrant colors offered by an OLED screen DOES MATTER.

Competitors like the Sony Ericsson Satio, packing a 12mp camera, with true xenon flash, and the Samsung Omnia HD: OLED capactive screen, 720p video recording, and 8mp camera with flash are perfecting the hardware.

The Omnia HD and Satio do deliver a great user interface too.

I'm asking that apple focus on both, great hardware and software, because they can, and it would benefit their customers.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
I don't want a camera that is 12 megapixels unless my sensor is larger than a grain of rice. That's why I have my D90.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
But hardware does matter. ...

Competitors like the Sony Ericsson Satio, packing a 12mp camera, with true xenon flash, and the Samsung Omnia HD: OLED capactive screen, 720p video recording, and 8mp camera with flash are perfecting the hardware.
If hardware did not matter, the 3G S would not have rendered significant internal upgrades. Nor would it have received a magnetometer or a smudge-resistant screen or an auto-focus camera with video.

Apple is not just focused on software. They are focused on the forest. Newer versions of the phone will likely have PowerPC-based CPUs from their PA Semi acquisition. That seems to be a sizable investment in hardware, don't you think?

OLED screens will become widespread very soon. Hi-def video recording may even arrive within a couple of years once battery and codec improvements are made. Even 802.11n will arrive, but do these technologies need to be in the iPhone 3G S? I really don't think so. 802.11n, for example, seems overkill. I don't know what I would use that speed for.

Once these technologies are cost-effective, power-effective, space-effective, and technologically-effective, I would certainly welcome them on a future iPhone. But they don't detract the slightest bit from my perception of the iPhone as the overall winner in its product category.

wikoogle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
My point was, most of those upgrades HD video recording, xenon flash, OLED screens, even 12 megapixel cameras are all found in competing cellphones that are the same size, or even smaller than the iPhone.

It's not the the technology isn't viable yet, or that it's too big. It's not even that it's too expensive. If it was, competing phones wouldn't be offering it. I would prefer that space was used for a 5 megapixel camera than to put in a magnometer.

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2008
I would prefer that space was used for a 5 megapixel camera than to put in a magnometer.

Wow apparently you know alot more about selling phones than Apple :rolleyes:

You sound like a broken record, stop repeating the same thing over and over

I came from a sony k810i

While I do miss the superior camera, focus and real flash, I don't miss the phone

Apple has been more concerned about building the user interface, and I am quite happy with my iPhone 3G.

The nokia n85 is a terrible phone. What's the point of having all those cool features, if you have to struggle with a crappy OS to use them.

I would love an AMOLED display ( apparently these are better in direct sunlight) in the next generation iPhone.

coolwater

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2009
When APPLE can sell such iPhone for $199 and $299 in US.

Like I've already said a number of times before, APPLE will not give up $199/$299 pricing strategy any time soon. It has worked like magic for APPLE and AT&T.

Higher spec means higher cost. APPLE certainly could make such a phone, but it won't be able to sell it for $199/$299.

So, APPLE doesn't even know when they will be able to match whatever the spec you're talking about.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
So

Are you looking to buy a Cell phone or a Camera. I have my Camera for it's reasons and my cell for it's I don't expect the Cell to take perfect photo's nor do I expect to make calls from my Camera. Also as pointed out it's about the Sensor too not just Megapixals if you like the Nokia better buy it if you like the iphone better buy it. also take in too consideration there service provider and that you will most likely have the phone for a while. it's a matter of choice and which is best for you.

Primbs

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2009
I'm not saying the N85 is the perfect phone, not even close. I opted to get iPhone 3GS over it because of Apple's fantastic interface.

But in terms of hardware, Apple is behind the competition by a few years, and that just makes me sad.

Because if the iPhone did utilize cutting edge hardware, it would be the perfect phone, bar none.

I am ditching the N95 to get the Iphone.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
The Omnia does have a beautiful screen but it's also a bit of a brick and runs Symbian which is certainly starting to look it's age (Even with the add-ons provided by Samsung). On top of that, the unsubsidized price in the UK for this phone is £600 for the 8GB, which is a fair bit more expensive than the iPhone

The thing about the iPhone is it is definitely more than the sum of its parts and whilst other phones may beat it on the spec top trumps game, it is probably still the best all-round package available

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Why in the hell would anyone want a 12MPCam with Xenon Flash on their cellphone...get a realllll camera if you want ALL of that. Goodness!

And most people don't even know what a OLED screen is...all they know is that its new technology, and supposedly APPLE MUST have it, to reinvent itself...

"if its not broken...don't fix it" Since the 3G S is supposedly a MINOR update, I bet you it still sells really well, regardless if it doesn't have an OLED screen, 12MP Cam, front facing camera, etc.

Be happy with the 3G S, and be grateful that its much faster!:rolleyes: Damn spec nerds!

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Apple takes a much more effective (because people obviously love it) do everything you do amazingly well and make it easy to use vs the tired old approach of "lets throw as many good specs as possible at the comsumer and make it a bitch to use" approach.

Primbs

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2009
Apple takes a much more effective (because people obviously love it) do everything you do amazingly well and make it easy to use vs the tired old approach of "lets throw as many good specs as possible at the comsumer and make it a bitch to use" approach.

Before the nokia, I had a top of the line Sony errickson. Then the engineers did an upgrade and took away many of the best features, and sales tumbled on the next upgrade.

Sony was big before the Iphone came out many years ago, then went downhill.

Both phones, nokia, Sony, do alot, but do "make it a bitch to use and learn how to use."

Apple makes it easy to use.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Apple makes it easy to use.

Which is VITAL to their success. Some say their products are fun and easy to use, I think theyre fun simply because they are easy to use. When something is convenient your going to love to use it more.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
802.11n, for example, seems overkill. I don't know what I would use that speed for.

The desire for 802.11n isn't about speed - it's about an increasing number of networks that have n support only and hence the iPhone can't connect to at all...

Phazer

Carniphage

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Sheffield, England
The desire for 802.11n isn't about speed - it's about an increasing number of networks that have n support only and hence the iPhone can't connect to at all...
Phazer

If you want a fast WiFi network - you need 802.11n at 5GHz.
If you want a WiFi network that supports legacy devices - you need 802.11g at 2.4GHz

If you want the best of both worlds. You go dual band.

C.

AlfaLavala

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
Aberdeen, UK
I understand what the OP is talking about. Take the camera, for example, only just upgraded to 3 MP. Why not make it a 5 MP camera? Could easily be done.

The 3GS will be my first iPhone, basically as they've just managed to make it good enough to replace my WM smartphone (not talking about the camera now). However, for 80-90% of people out there it's tech specs are more than ample to meet whatever they need.

It's just us 10% that like/need those extra numbers!

datamage

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2006
Deja vu? So the OP found out that his claim on the N85 hardware was incorrect, so he had to change his topic? Way to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.