How long before I just ask for a new MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BJB Productions, Mar 18, 2011.

1. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Hi,
    I brought my computer into the Apple store a week ago. The screen went dead. They also were going to replace the optical drive and HDD, which were also failing.

They quoted me 5-7 days max for repair time. Well it's now been 7 days, and I still had not even gotten a call from them... So I called them up today and after waiting on hold for twenty minutes, they told me it had not even been repaired yet. They were still waiting for a part.

Ok, I feel like I've given Apple a lot of slack and patiently waited a week for my computer to be fixed, only to find that they still have not even fixed it! The guy said he had no idea how long it would be, the part is on backorder, so it could be a week at least.

At what point can I just ask them for a new computer? This is really ridiculous... I'm a student and I'm already behind on school because of waiting a week, I can't afford to be without a computer for another week.

I was thinking I would give them till Monday. If it's not repaired by then, is this a realistic request?

FYI- this is probably about the 6th repair on this machine.

Thoughts?

2. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

How long since you've bought it? Ugh 2008 one I guess? not sure if they have to replace it. Are you paying for the repairs or is it covered under 3 year warranty?

3. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Was purchased in April of 2009 (I have Apple Care)

4. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

If you're annoyed enough and can show it, I'm sure a CS rep would help you out. Give them a call.

5. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

Yeah, I suppose you could ask them for a replacement. But then again, it's nearly coming to the end of it's 3 year warranty, they may be reluctant to give you a brand new one..

6. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

As long as what you're asking for isn't offensive, which this is not, then you'll never get a new computer unless you ask for one.

I say call them back up and explain to them how this is damaging your work (school work, I know), why they haven't kept you up to date on the status of the repairs if they knew an item was backordered, and ask them why they refuse to provide respectable customer service, that this is a disservice to you. They have not kept communication lines open with you and are completely ignoring the possibility that you need your computer for productivity.

I almost want to advise you to tell them not to let their lack of doing their job prevent you from doing yours, but don't. Try to keep it professional; put them on the spot, but also keep it sweet. You get more for a teaspoon of honey than you do a pound of spice.

7. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Alright, well I'll be a nice person and give them till Monday... But I really do need a MBP... I've got loads of work to be done. :eek:

8. macbwizard macrumors 6502

macbwizard

Good idea to give them until Monday. I've found that there is wisdom in the saying that "the squeaky wheel gets the grease." If the store is open tomorrow, I'd also give them a call and ask on the status of the repair.

You don't really deserve a new MBP but you do deserve your MBP to be repaired in a timely manner. Keep bugging them (politely of course) until it's repaired.

9. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Well I did think there was a policy that after five repairs, they would just give you a new computer?

10. HBOC macrumors 68020

It is NOT JUST five repairs, it has to be for the same thing and there are guidelines as per an Apple Genius, but I am not positive as to what those guidelines entail.

What I can tell you is that I had my logic board replaced twice, keyboard replaced twice, the lower case, battery and screen were replaced (everything in December this last year, minus the first logic board and keyboard) and then in late January/early Feb it started to act up again. I asked for a new one.

That is weird that they would have you drop off the computer w/o the part.

11. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I'd give them a call today. I think a week is enough. Nice to me is the manner in which you speak to them. Patience is waiting and in my book you've been patient enough.

12. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

It's not their fault you haven't done your school work... after all, you could hit up the school library, borrow a friend's computer, etc., to do your work. Yes, I know it's not the most convenient, but you, and only you, are ultimately responsible for your studies.

Having said that, I would cite what a major inconvenience it is to get to the library, lack of communication/CS on their part, etc., to boost your "argument" for a new system. But don't argue... you could be firm without arguing.

Good luck and let us know how things play out!

13. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Let me add that I'd make the request in person. It's much easier for them to blow it off over the phone than staring someone in the face and trying it - not to mention that it's also in the face of other customers.

Best way to approach it

Be 100% professional.
    State your case and why it is a major inconvenience
    Suggest how they can resolve.

All keys to effective problem resolution.

14. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

You really don't deserve a new MBP. Repairs sometime take time when parts are needed - that's a fact of life.

With that said, anyone that has their Apple computer out for repairs can check the status of the repair at: https://support.apple.com/repairstatus/Main

15. sydenham, Mar 19, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2011

sydenham macrumors regular

What are you doing to the computer to keep breaking it??? I love this sense of entitlement some people have.

16. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

They're closed now, so I'll call them tomorrow afternoon if I have not heard from them. I would talk in person with someone there, however I live very far away just to make a trip that may not even get me anywhere.

Well at least a loaner would be nice. I also own a photography business and I have a client tomorrow and I'd like to start processing their photos ASAP.

Yeah, I've checked my repair status daily, nothing changes.

I baby my computer. I paid 2 grand for that thing. It's not like I'm abusing it.

17. erphan macrumors newbie

What state are you in? I know in California, you have a right to ask for a replacement or a refund after 3 unsuccessful repairs on your unit.

But 6 repairs is a bit. Call Apple, Tier 1 won't be able to help you but Customer Relations would totally, at least, listen to your issue.

18. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

I'm in....Narnia... oh wait. I mean Illinois. :rolleyes:

That's pretty nice that California has that...

19. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

Yes, because there's no such thing as manufacturing defects :rolleyes:

20. thisisvick, Mar 20, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2011

thisisvick macrumors newbie

Thats cool you are being nice and waiting - something should be said about that so here is your reward. You most certainly can get a brand new laptop because it has been done. Some tips

1. Go in person to the store and do not bother with this foreplay talk over the phone
    2. Find a rep and inquire about your laptop - most likely it won't be fixed so you will "escalate" the matter and ask to speak to the manager.
    3. In a firm and polite way explain your frustrations / how you are a loyal mac user ipod ipad wtv / and you just need ANY computer to get you by because "school work is piling on"
    4. The key here is to not ask directly for a new computer but imply that "surely there must be something / anything they can do RIGHT NOW to help you as you have a project due this very Friday Friday and all this is not fun fun fun fun for you *sorry had to =P* Tell them you totally understand that delays in parts happen - but tell this does not help with your immediate needs - that you would be so willing to wait but you are going to get murdered in this class if you dont come up with something this week........ *tear
    5. No need to lie but for sure do not hold back in expressing your problems / let them see that and I assure you will be walkin out with a brand new laptop. Make sure you get the AppleCare again ;)

Good Luck and please report back with an update.

21. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

I called them today, after waiting on hold for 15 minutes (They must have one guy answering the phone) I got a very nice Apple rep. I explained the situation and he said he would check with the "Geniuses". He came back and told me they really had no idea when the part was coming; they hoped tomorrow, but were unsure. If they did get the part, they would fix my computer within the next few days.

Unfortunately, I could tell that was the only resolve they were going to give me... Bummer, because even at this point a few days is going to hurt my schooling and business pretty bad... But there's nothing I can really do.

If the part does not come tomorrow though, then I'm going to be really ticked.

22. sydenham macrumors regular

Manufacturing defects? A screen, a hard drive and an optical drive needing to be replaced doesn't sound like defects.

23. /user/me macrumors 6502

So you obviously haven't had two tires go flat at once..... Multiple components can fail at the same time, and they all could be defective.

24. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Exactly. The HDD has been getting worse over the course of a few months, same with the optical drive. I was going to take it in for those repairs, but I just never had the time. When the screen went out of me, I just brought it in for all those problems.

25. sydenham macrumors regular

Defective after 3 years of use? Give me a break.