HOW LONG do we have to wait for Watch Faces?!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by TVDinner, Apr 9, 2016.

1. TVDinner, Apr 9, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2016

TVDinner macrumors member

TVDinner

Where are the 3rd party watch dial / faces apps FOR Apple Watch?
    When is Apple going to allow this?!

I know there are many threads on this forum about this topic.
    But at this point it is getting pretty ridiculous.

I know at last 10 people who have sold their Apple watches due to the lack of dial/face options.

WHERE ARE THE APPS FOR THE APPLE WATCH like the "Watch Faces for Android Wear" by Intellicom that is available for the Moto 360 and Android devices?? This app is incredible and there are THOUSANDS of options that grow every day.

We have NO realistic watch dial options for our Apple Watch and it is maddening.

I know i am not the only person who feels this way.

We have sent in feedback on the Apple Website with no response.
    There are multiple threads on this site and MANY others - with no response.

I LOVE my Apple Watch but exactly how long do we wait or are forced to look at other options?

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

It is possible that Apple will not give us any additional watch faces. I think they are done except for a few tweaks. Might get some new ones with the AW2 Next year.

3. TVDinner thread starter macrumors member

TVDinner

I actually don't want ANY dials / faces from Apple. I just want them to allow 3rd party face / dial apps like the one posted above.

4. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I suspect the "realistic" watch faces won't ever come since Apple has completely moved away from skeoumorphism, but I agree that some fresh faces or faces with more animated elements would be nice.

5. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68000

LoveToMacRumors

When apple watch 2 comes out, or watch os3, wataver comes first

6. TVDinner thread starter macrumors member

TVDinner

If the 3rd party Andoid apps have tons and tons and tons of realistic watch dial / face options , then we will have them also.

Apple just has to allow the 3rd party apps to be available.

7. IphoneIssues macrumors 65816

I agree that it's a stupid advantage to allow the competition to have.

8. sean000 macrumors 6502a

sean000

I think it would be nice as well, but I'm not going to hold my breath. It hasn't been that high on my feature wish list, but after browsing some of the Android Wear options I get why some are so passionate about having this option on the Apple Watch. I quickly found several custom faces I would download.

Apple wants the watch to be the most personal device ever? Then let people personalize it.

Sean

9. HopefulHumanist macrumors 6502a

I'd expect some new faces from Apple with watchOS 3.0 in the fall. They also might create a way for people to submit watch face designs for approval. I don't think they'll ever fully open the floodgates but I'm ok with that as most third-party faces would be terrible.

10. TVDinner thread starter macrumors member

TVDinner

Why would you say that? Respectfully that does not make sense.
    The Android watches have INCREDIBLE watch face / dial options that look really incredible.
    We could have exactly the same options.

No reason NOT to allow 3rd party developers to create options for us. No reason.

11. IphoneIssues macrumors 65816

Agree with everything but the last statement. There's a reason. I guarantee you there's a reason they haven't done it yet. It's too obvious of an addition for them to have not thought about it at all.

12. HopefulHumanist macrumors 6502a

I think you misunderstand me. The *majority* of watch faces on Android watches *are* terrible. There are some really great ones but many more terrible ones. We see the same with the app store. It's just the nature of the situation.

13. TVDinner thread starter macrumors member

TVDinner

Many are Android watch owner made, which is part of the coolness of that app. The "community" in generating a lot of the dials / faces and there are endless options. I see my friends with new dial options almost daily that they are excited about.

I AGREE that some are bad, but the high volume of options far outweighs not having ANY custom options like we have now.

14. HopefulHumanist macrumors 6502a

I agree, which is why I hope they implement a way for people to submit designs and they can approve them for download. In my mind, this is the best of both worlds.

15. ftlum, Apr 9, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2016

ftlum macrumors regular

We've never had themes on the iPhone without jailbreaking. It's very possible that we'll never see customized faces. Apple has never been about customizing their software-- on the contrary, they are strongly in favor of everyone being forced into the same look. We can't even get 5 icons on an iPhone dock and we're almost at iOS 10.

Maybe we'll get custom faces when android watches start passing Apple's by, but the other problem is the deal they made with Hermes. If people could make their own Hermes faces, that'd make such money making deals for Apple less likely. I think we might get other company -deal faces. That Apple was hiring someone to do watch face design seems to point that way.

Frankly, I think we'll be lucky to even see some better options for the current watch faces. For instance, you can't read the hands very well on the stopwatch face, yet there's still been no options to improve visibility.

Maybe if there's enough of an outcry, we'll see custom watch faces, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/watch.html

16. TVDinner thread starter macrumors member

TVDinner

I am strongly hoping you are wrong and the constant pressure of threads like this and others will get Apple moving. On every single site I go to, online on literally every single social media site, and offline with EVERY Apple Watch owner I meet weekly when traveling for business - the #1 discussion point IS the lack of faces/dials like the Android watches.

At first I agreed that Apple would not care. But in the past 2 months I have personally met many people who have either dumped the Apple Watch due to this OR are about to. It just is a big big big missing piece OF A WATCH themed gadget...

17. tonoboon macrumors regular

tonoboon

It'd be nice to get more watch face.
    I expect Apple invite fashion brand to create more watchface and strap .
    (They should already did)
    For watch collector, custom watch face is rubbish.
    I love that my Apple Watch has rosegold font colour .
    Next update should get more Watchface for Edition.

So please don't compare Android wear, it's not same class.
    Android wear look nerd. Do you ever see someone wearing Tag Connected?

And Why android remove app drawer?

18. TVDinner thread starter macrumors member

TVDinner

I am an Apple Watch owner and huge Apple fan/customer. But I would be niave and show my ignorance if I discounted the Moto 360 and other Android driven "smartwatches" that are really doing some very very cool things and have a lot of current 3rd party apps available that we currently dont...

19. tonoboon macrumors regular

tonoboon

If watchface price range $14.99 - $19.99
    Do you ok with that?

20. TVDinner thread starter macrumors member

TVDinner

Are you asking if the app cost that much would I be ok with it?
    I would pay for a great 3rd party watch dial/face app but imagine it would not cost that much based on the Android version.

21. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

If there is no iPhone custom home page, for 8 years, where do you get the idea any Apple iOS/watchOS device will ever allow 3rd party home face, until hell freeze over, without jailbreak?

22. TVDinner thread starter macrumors member

TVDinner

23. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

I am tell you, you have wrong company!
    Like I said, until hell freeze over.

24. ZEEN0j macrumors 6502a

Since it's one major feature that sets it apart from mechanical watches. I think that we one day will be able to download new faces. But then again Apple might be fine with the customization we have. Maybe new faces will only be available on watch 2. This is Apple after all.

25. IphoneIssues macrumors 65816

This is different...and they've added custom homescreen backgrounds and folders...