How long do you think the 2013 Mac Pro will be supported by macOS updates?

macrumor2018

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2018
The 2013 Mac Pro is still on the market, being sold by Apple. I know Apple has pretty much never dropped software updates for devices less than 3 from the time taken off the market (with the exception of Xserve G5) so it should get macOS updates until 2022.

Does this mean, in your opinion, that most 2013 Macs will be supported until then? At the time it seemed too good to be true but given recent years and what has happened with 2007 macs running the last release of OSX it seems logical.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
The 2013 Mac Pro is still on the market, being sold by Apple. I know Apple has pretty much never dropped software updates for devices less than 3 from the time taken off the market (with the exception of Xserve G5) so it should get macOS updates until 2022.

Does this mean, in your opinion, that most 2013 Macs will be supported until then? At the time it seemed too good to be true but given recent years and what has happened with 2007 macs running the last release of OSX it seems logical.
Has Apple even fixed the GPU problems from day 1 on that system?

mikehalloran

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
Has Apple even fixed the GPU problems from day 1 on that system?
Long time ago.

Many were fixed under warranty. Heat is the issue.

The D300 was most problematic but Apple doesn't offer those anymore. Many had issues with the D500 & D700 which are still available.

The 2013–2015 were under a silent recall till May 2018 for this.

https://hothardware.com/news/apple-quietly-recalls-2013-mac-pros-due-to-defective-amd-firepro-gpus

[doublepost=1550957148][/doublepost]

Apple is required to support security updates for three years after the last new one is sold per California law. They do not have to provide OS upgrades but I know of no technical reason why they would be incompatible until the OS requires Metal 2 which is not expected for a few years.

Last edited:

Slash-2CPU

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2016
New Orleans, USA
5-7 years of OS support after manufacturing stops. After that, 1-3 years of security updates to that last supported OS.

5 years of parts availability and factory repair service after manufacturing stops.

Reactions: h9826790

jscipione

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2017
Typically 7 years after model is no longer sold so 7 more years for the cylinder Mac Pro assuming the modular Mac Pro ships this year. I have to say that the 2010 Mac Pro support has been great thus far.

macrumor2018

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2018
Typically 7 years after model is no longer sold so 7 more years for the cylinder Mac Pro assuming the modular Mac Pro ships this year. I have to say that the 2010 Mac Pro support has been great thus far.
I thought it was a minimum of 3 years after a Mac was taken off the market. I believe this has always held true with one exception: Xserve G5