How long do you typically keep your MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TechGod, Apr 13, 2014.

1. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

I'm currently on my first MBP(Early 2011,13", 8GB RAM,320GB HDD)
    Planning on keeping it till next year then buying a RMBP.

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Still have my mid-2010 MBP and its working fine.
    I could replace it, but really - I don't need to. Not sure what I'm going to do with it.

Either get a new MBP or throw an SSD into it.

3. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Currently using a 2012 - will hopefully sell in early 2015 before warranty goes out and buy a 2014 for a killer deal.

4. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

Short answer...I keep it as long as it works.

Long answer...

Mine is from late 2010. It has only a 128 GB SSD and that is starting to fill up (< 20 GB) so that might become the reason why I need to get a new machine, instead of upgrading the RAM (I only have 4 GB) and SSD. I did get a new battery (Apple store themselves claimed it was failing), new charger (the ends of the wires were peeling off), and new DVD drive (drive failed) just before it got out of warranty.

Nowadays I find Chrome is very slow...not sure whether it's a Chrome thing or a machine thing or both. Even though I deleted all of the cached content, it's still super slow. I could move to a different browser, but I don't like the UI of the other browsers and sync-ing bookmarks will be a problem. This single problem is making me check for rMBP updates regularly. It looks like the Buyers Guide here at MR doesn't recommend buying right now since updates are expected soon.

I don't like that the rMBP doesn't have a DVD drive.

5. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Still have my 2009 MBP as a backup machine for my late-2013 rMBP. Thought I was going to have to sell or recycle it, but it got some new life with a new battery and the umpteenth SATA cable (had a LOT of those replaced over the years).

I'd say 3-4 years depending on your use. I could still use a four year old machine if it ran well, but mine had been showing its age for years. Before the rMBP, you could change out aging parts, but that's not the case anymore.

6. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

I normally never keep things around as backup. After using the faster machine, what is the chance one will want to go back to the old one even for a few days. Normally I sell any tech stuff as soon as I have a replacement. MBP have excellent resale value.

7. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I've still been using the super drive to transfer digital movies that still come on a disc. It also has a 500gb hard drive which can store a lot more media than the 256gb SSD in my rMBP. It's nice to have for that. It wasn't going to sell in the condition it was in when I bought my rMBP (wouldn't boot because of failed SATA cable, battery warning, generally sluggish and tempermental). Then I invested some money in it and felt it was better to keep it than sell it. They don't sell for very much were I am (asked for $200 as was and got no bites), and I don't sell on eBay.

8. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

My first one lasted from 2007 until now, I wanted about 5 years out of it and it delivered beautifully.

I'm not sure about the rMBP, I'll probably put it on a two year upgrade cycle but we'll see.

The difference now being that I can't upgrade the RAM or put in a faster hard drive when I want a speed boost :p

9. CarreraGuy macrumors regular

CarreraGuy

Typing on my mid 2010 13" MBP here. Still alive and kicking after years of abuse and SSD/RAM upgrades. Back in the day this was unheard of for me but I do get the itch to buy a new rMBP now and then. Work got me a rMBP so that itch went away somewhat, it's nice but can get noisy with the fans.

Macs are like Porsches: makes your wallet lighter but they stick around for a while.

10. Marty62 macrumors 6502

I'm on my fourth apple "lappy" since 1999 so that's about 3-4 years life for each.
    I move them on when still working and with some value, though my G4 Titanium
    somehow became worthless ( £100 ) so I gave it to a friend ( MINT ) and he dropped
    it !!

:-(

11. theromz macrumors regular

Furst macbook and I'm looking to upgrade it in 1 year, mostly due to working changing so I need something with more ram and power. After that I think I will upgrade ever 3 years just as my apple care is running out.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I usually keep mine in excess of 2 maybe 3 years though with the 2012 rMBP I see no reason to upgrade this in the near future. Spending what now amounts to almost 2k is getting harder to justify especially when the change in performance is getting smaller between each iteration.

The retina screen was a biggie but I'll be happy to get 5+ years out of the old girl. I'm already 2 years into it and its going strong.

13. snarfquest macrumors regular

I have a Late-2011 15in, 2.4 GHZ i7, 16gb 1600 MHz ram, Radeon HD 1024mb and 512gb SSD. Runs great! Hope to get at least another 2 years out of it.

14. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

I got this one in February and will be upgrading again next Feb/March.
    Only because I get a grant from Uni and my son want's this one.

Barney

15. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

3 years.....end of Apple Care. Then I pass it on to someone in the family or sell it for a few bucks.

16. MasterHowl macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

I bought my MacBook Pro in mid-2009, and wanted "at least six years use out of it". Mainly because I was only 16 at the time (I'd saved up from my washing up job in a caffe for years :D) and funds were very low (it cleared out my bank account).

After almost five years of very heavy use (it travelled to/from college with my nearly everyday for two years, and has done the same for me at university for the past three) it's still going strong. The only thing that's wrong with it now is the battery, which only lasts ~45 minutes on a full charge now (it's had 1205 cycles).

I plan on keeping it until at least this time next year, if not longer. If it does give up on me before then, I'd still be really happy with how well it's served me.

But I seriously can't wait to get a rMBP. Those things are so fast compared to my mid-2009 machine it's laughable. Good times to come!

EDIT: People also laughed at me when I said buying a Mac is value for money. My flatmate has spend £1300 on Windows PCs in the past 4 years... for a hundred quid extra he could have had a Mac, saving money and having the pleasure of using one!

17. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

This is my first MBP; a mid 2010 with a 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo. I had the battery replaced through Apple and installed a 250GB Toshiba EVO SSD. Still running 4GB of stock RAM.

When will I buy a new one? When I can afford one. This MBP does everything I need it to do. When I can afford Retina, that will be when it is replaced (as long as it doesn't die first).

18. maplingstorie macrumors 6502

as long as it can run smoothly with the latest OS and my APPS.:D

19. jmdMac macrumors regular

20. rosiel122 macrumors newbie

I've had my late 2008 (2.66Ghz) MacBook Pro since 2009. Since then I have upgraded the ram to 8Gb, replaced the battery, and bought a new charger.

It is definitely showing its age, but is still usable (after taking a few minutes to boot up). I bet a SSD would breath new life it it, but it is hard to justify at this point.

I will keep it for a while longer until I get a Retina MacBook Pro by the end of this year or next year... So I am at about 5 years between laptops. Not bad.

My only debate is whether or not I should dump it on eBay or Craigslist since I will only be able to get about $400 for it and I spent at least $200 on new parts.

21. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

I had a family member who kept his for about 5 years. Then he upgraded, but it was still working and in excellent condition. Maybe I'll be eating my words in 5 years, but I recently got a retina 13 inch with the Haswell Processors. I got plenty of ram (8 GB) and more space than I would need (256 GB SSD) because I use cloud based storage for everything. I hope to use it until it no longer powers on. Got a case to keep it new too :D

I should add, while I was at the genius bar, I talked to a guy who was being seen. He said that they had told him his logic board was out, and that they won't be able to change it because his model was too old. They told him he can try a 3rd party but it would cost more than the value of the computer.

His was a 2007 17 inch model.

22. snaky69 macrumors 603

23. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Every year I buy AppleCare with plans to keep it for as long as possible. And for one reason for another, I end up replacing it for a new one either because a significant feature (quad core, USB 3.0, Thunderbolt, Retina display, etc.) and this year with no real changes, my computer is broken and then replaced by Apple with a new one.

So I guess typically I keep it until the next refresh.

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The rMBP (2012 model) is the first laptop that has everything I need and I don't see anything coming down the pike that will cause me to spend money I don't have on a computer that I don't need :p

I usually fall into that same trap but so far my 2012 model is going strong and even the Haswell chipset doesn't have anything that will materially change my opinion.

25. djplaxe2109 macrumors 6502

I feel the same way. My RMBP does everything I need and I see no reason to upgrade for upgrades sake.