How long do you you think until Mac is the number 1 OS

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by gregdrummeraz, Jul 8, 2008.

?

How Long until Mac "takes over".

1. 0-5 years

10 vote(s)
    8.8%
  2. 5-10

15 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. 10-20

21 vote(s)
    18.6%
  4. Never, Windows has officially won.

67 vote(s)
    59.3%
  1. gregdrummeraz macrumors 6502

Just an easy question.. I personally believe in the next 5-12 years there will be large leaps in the market shares giving what the current events are.

Bill Gates retired
    Apple has a new product design head now
    Vista blows, regardless of what "They" say about it.

Ya know?

So lets hear your thoughts.

2. c073186 macrumors 6502a

3. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Exactly. Define that first.

It may be growing in the home markets, but not in business, except for sectors where Windows is weak, such as media production.

4. gregdrummeraz thread starter macrumors 6502

Market wise? All markets, I see mac putting out a very nice much more affordable version of office. the only MAC issue is hardware pricing. :eek:

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

6. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Price is hardly the problem at all. There are so many business apps that are only available on Windows, and it'd be a pain (or perhaps impossible) for the software companies to transfer them and try to persuade their customers to switch their workforce (which could be several thousand computers) to Macs.

Office is the de facto word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation suite, and that won't change soon with the business crowd, either.

7. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I for one do not see it happening for a very long time. Either in the home market or in the business market.

8. RacerX macrumors 65832

I think a better question is how long until people stop thinking of this as some form of race or competition?

Why do people care if other people use the same thing they do? Why cant people just use what works best for them?

The problem with Windows was that Microsoft used illegal tactics to wipe out equal or better operating systems. That was compounded by Microsoft using their dominance to attempt to kill off Netscape, Quicktime, Java, XML, PDF and now Flash. Microsoft is pathologically incapable of competing on a level playing field.

I don't want to EVER see the Mac OS be the number one operating system. Infact, I honestly hope for the day when there are four or five strong platforms to choose from.

But why is it important to anyone for Apple to dominate? And I mean anything... music sales, mp3 players, mobile phones... anything.

The problem with blind devotion is that you become willing to look the other way when what you are devoted to starts doing things that are unethical. And the thing is that corporations, political parties and even governments can quickly swing from good to bad... much faster than those with blind devotion will react to such turns, and Apple is not exempt from this.

So people, stop worrying about being with the winning team in this area, and just use what works best for you independent of the label.

9. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

It honestly depends, I never see it truly dominating the entirety of the computer market, because it truly comes down to what use:

Right now in my opinion, Apple dominates the personal market as being the better OS, but Microsoft currently holds that market position. I see Apple truly standing a major position in the personal market in about 7-15 years, meaning that they will hold the majority in that market.

But even if Apple completely changes their direction in the business market, Microsoft will always hold its own place, and I never see Apple holding more than 40% of the business market, even with a major change in their standards. Microsoft simply came to the place first in the business market, and because of that, they will probably always hold the majority there.

So from my perspective, about 7-15 years until they are the head OS in the personal market, but will never be the number one OS in the business market, or at all because of the business market.

10. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Not going to happen as long as Apple restricts it to their hardware.

11. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I don't see that as their problem, I don't think that the number of people that would install OSX on other computers (if legally allowed) would be enough to have all that much of an effect on their position in either market.

12. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I don't understand how anyone can vote for "Windows has already won." It's a fickle world, times change and people move from one thing to the next. I don't think Windows has won, but I don't see Apple making huge strides in the foreseeable future.

I hope that Macintosh does not become the top dog. Part of the charm of using an Apple product is that it's a bit uncommon - that and the company has an excellent grasp on quality control. Microsoft is too big to handle problems quickly enough, you know? I don't think getting big or being the biggest is the best thing for Apple. They've got a solid user base, dedicated people and a great reputation. Microsoft can only dream about that kind of stuff.

EDIT: My 'O' is sticking n my damn keybard. srry.

13. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Ain't gonna happen. I don't even want it to happen. Macs are like luxury cars. You pay a little more, you get a little more, and part of the quality comes from the fact that not everyone buys them. If Apple had 90% marketshare, quality would go way down.

14. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

Exactly - well said

15. gregdrummeraz thread starter macrumors 6502

I really appreciate you all responding so quickly. I agree with what a lot of you said

"Apple is like a luxury car, you pay a little more, you get a little more :)"

"Microsoft can never compete in a level playing field"

I did not like or agree with people saying that Apple could never have a full market. I think they will become pretty split, larger, but split in market share. But reading over these it made me reevaluate my thoughts on Apple dominating.

Hope to get more votes and grow this poll out!

Thanks,
    Greg :apple:

16. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I would have to say next Tuesday ;)

But seriously I can see Apple, other OS companies and Google stealing marketshare from Microsoft over the next 10 years.

The age of Microsoft is over, they will be taken over by the next big thing.

17. Surely Guest

Surely

I hope never.

It keeps the OS a little more secure.

18. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I agree with some of the other posters here - never - and I'm honestly glad that will be the case. :cool:

19. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

One thing that disturbs me is when people hope Apple's computer operations will stay small because they like being the only person in the room with a Mac and they like feeling unique. That's a poor reason for buying a Mac. The main point is buying a computer that's right for you. If the computer that's right for you is right for millions of other people, why do you care?

I think Apple can, and already is, making a good run at the personal market. I can't think of one person I've talked to about personal computers in the last two years who thinks Microsoft is on the rise.

In the next few years, I think people will have a Mac at home, but will settle for Windows at the office.

20. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

21. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

Apple is large enough to have the resources to innovate, and small enough to know they need to. I never want to see them become dominant, because as soon as they'd get 70%+ marketshare, you'd start to see epic stagnation in their products.

No motivator like the profit motive...

22. Motley macrumors 6502

It'll never be number 1. It might in the future have a large market share 25%.

Then again, who knows what the future will bring. Maybe mobile OS' will become far more important than desktop OS', especially as smartphones become more powerful and capable.

Imagine taking your future iPhone and plugging it into a dock that connects it to an LCD screen and wireless keyboard and mouse ( maybe some sort of dvd/??? drive) which causes the OS to switch from mobile to standard OSX and using that as your main computer.

Maybe the future OS' are Symbian, Android (and other Linux'), OSX, and Win...

Or maybe not.:D

23. bandaros macrumors member

If it EVER does, I don't think it'll be in any of our life-times.

24. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

As long as Apple binds it to self hardware!
    No point of having a poll! It'll happen the day SJ decides its time to let the world know the glamour of OS X/XI/XII...

25. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

Never. I still believe that the OS as we know it is dying. Everything will migrate to the web in the next decade or so. The only race then would be which applications are the most prevalent.

We can see some of this now with Google Apps and the MobileMe applications. Businesses will then license the software to run on local web servers to maintain security. We are soon to be welcomed back into the world of mainframes and thin clients.

Hickman