How long will Apple be able to charge $999 for the iPhone 8?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by omelet1978, Aug 26, 2017.

1. omelet1978 macrumors regular

I bounce back and forth between the iPhone and the Galaxy phones, so I'm just wondering about the iPhone 8 price of $999. Knowing Apple I think that's the price the've always wanted to do, and after I added up upgrading to the 128gb model, AppleCare, and taxes...it came out to about $1350. I'm going to go with that is too much for a phone lol.

I know a lot of people will subsidize it and pay $40 or $50 a month but that still seems a bit high to me? Or are people seemingly willing to pay that?

2. michael9891 macrumors 65816

They'll be able to charge it for as long as they want. Because people will always pay it. I don't get why people always add on the cost of Apple care to give a much higher grand total. You don't have to purchase it and many don't.

3. atlas_0 Suspended

atlas_0

This is the harsh reality. As long as people will continue to tolerate this kind of nonsense? Apple will continue pushing the envelope - just as other companies are. Because as long as the consumerist sheep continue to go into debt in order to have the fanciest phone in their circle of friends? They'll keep putting the screws to the customer, knowing they'll keep paying.

$1000 for a phone is insanity. Whether it's an iPhone Edition, or a Note 8, or any other overpriced piece of hardware. The fact of the matter is that you can get an SE or a variety of android phones for $100-200, and do everything you can do with whatever Apple releases this next event.

4. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68020

Bazooka-joe

You dont have to buy it if you think its too expensive. Apple are charging over £1200 for the ceramic watch and were charging up to £17,000 for the series 0 in gold but very few people bitched about it and most people bought the SS and sport because they were cheaper.
    If Apple charge $999 and over for the iPhone 8 then buy the 7s as that is the annual upgrade much as the 6s was over the 6 and the 5s over the 5
    The iphone 8 is targeting a new market. It is not the annual model upgrade. The 7s is.

5. CTHarrryH macrumors 68000

I not sure I'd call it ridiculous- what it costs Apple for design, development all its infrastructure, sales people or ISP shares - I'm sure it ads up to a lot of money. Then if you add all the money it costs them for lawyers and lawsuits all the time - all those are costs as are the actual parts and assembly. They have to make profit for all their stockholders (even those who don't know they are because their retirement is invested in funds that contain Apple stock.)
    Since we really don't know the cost and exactly all the features we will see. Also as they raise the prices it makes our old phones worth more.

6. BMcCoy macrumors 68000

BMcCoy

Apple is not a charity.
    It has shareholders and an obligation to strive for profits, regardless of its heartfelt aspirations in technology.

Regardless of what price they set the new iphone at, they will sell every single one they can possibly manufacture.

I won't be spending a grand on a new phone.
    Im very happy with my iphone SE.
    But millions of people will be happy to spend a grand on a new phone.
    So if I was Apple VP for product marketing, or CFO, I'd be pushing the price up and up.

7. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

It's really not that much, I paid £820 for my iPhone 7 Plus this iPhone 8 at £1000 is only £180 more and for OLED and so on it's worth the upgrade.

8. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

2018 will be interesting because they have to introduce a successor to the 7s with a price of $649. If the "8" this year is $999, I doubt they'd want to make that the $649 model for next year, but I also doubt they will be able to keep the "8" at $999.

9. mctrials23 macrumors 6502

The massive massive difference is that your Apple sports watch was identical features and functionality wise to that ridiculous gold version. We are not talking about a premium iPhone from premium materials vs the same phone in aluminium. We are talking a good cutting edge phone vs a 3 year old rehashed design that is being beaten in most departments by much cheaper android phones. The 7s will be horrendously overpriced for what it is.

Again, that is total crap. Apple make money hand over fist. Their R&D etc costs don't put even a dent in their profits. That's ignoring the fact that for the last 3 years they have basically sold everyone the previous years iPhone with a few upgrades for the same price. New form factor? No. New screen? No. Literally the only things they could be credited with innovating on are the processors and camera and the camera is no better than the competition if it is as good at all.

Face it, Apple have been profiteering for years now. The iPhone 8 should be something they release as their standard phone for 90% of their customer base, not as a luxury super expensive phone for the few while their loyal customers make do with another tired iPhone 6 ripoff.

That's the 128gb iPhone 7+, if the base 8 is £1000 you aren't getting 128gb for any less than £1100. That's £280 more. If you can rationalise that, fair enough but Apple are taking the pee.

10. macTW Suspended

"Nonsense."

Man someone is irrationally upset and emotionally blind to the real world. You don't like it, don't buy it, but your biased and raging opinion means nothing.

11. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

All I can say is if they want to keep the 1,000 price point going long term, they're going to have to really start pushing the boat on the technological front. The regular iPhone already competing in the flagship segment doesn't leave a lot of comfortable headroom to slot another model in above it...

12. _Kiki_ macrumors 6502a

one grand for a phone it's a "daylight robbery", Apple can end like Nokia few years ago

13. edfoo macrumors 6502

Not going to happen unless they make some catastrophic mistake.

14. defferoo macrumors newbie

i feel like this is one of those... retina MacBook Pro situations where they're introducing the new design for a higher price to control demand along with an upgraded model with the old design, then next year they kill off the old designs (7s/7s plus style) and replace them with a small and large version of the iPhone 8 design. it's probably to keep sales of the iPhone 8 controlled because they might not be able to manufacture at iPhone scale right now (especially the OLED panel and maybe the face detection modules). When manufacturing catches up, they can offer the same features for the standard iPhone price.

this is why buying Apple products 1 year after they introduce a new design is typically cheaper than buying the first year (I was hoping they'd do the same with the MacBook Pros, but that doesn't seem to be the case this time).

15. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

It's interesting to see that "upgrade" is mostly tied to the design/form factor when AMD and Intel would probably kill for Apple's year over year CPU and GPU improvements within very low power envelopes.

Mind, in terms of aesthetics, my favorites are actually 4/4S and 5 Black/Slate.

That said, what we have right now is a very mature smartphone market. There's really no need to upgrade from SE/6S/6S Plus or newer unless your device has issues (mechanical, battery, etc). Getting a brand new, high end smartphone is pretty much just want and if that's how people want to spend their money, well, it's their money, not mine. It's really not my place to police other people's spending habits.

For all those shouting Apple sheep and consumerism, do you have hobbies and habits? Travel, dinners out, going to the movies, expensive wine, cars, golf, clothing, shoes, bags, books, etc? Maybe going out and spending $10+ for lunch daily? Paying a premium for organic? Maybe a cable TV subscription? If it's yes to any of the above, then glass houses.

16. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

We will have to wait and see what Apple announce so far price wise is just speculation. Taking into account the rumoured BIG upgrade, OLED screen, facial recognition, wireless charging, camera improvements, glass back (possibly new material around the the edge i believe stainless steel was mentioned) and so on, a £280 increase is still worth the price when you consider the technology and the BIG upgrade. If it was just going to be a 7s with a small upgrade then yea i would agree with you that Apple would be taking the pee, but we don't yet know a) the price points and b) all of the features there is usually something that get's left out of these leaks that Apple then announce on stage. Just my two pennies worth.

17. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

No matter what Apple charges for the iPhone, the consumer makes the decision of what there purchasing and for what reasons. A $1000 iPhone doesn't have to be for everybody, it can be for somebody that truly appreciates for what it has to offer and it's capabilities. That's why Apple has options for the consumer to choose between different pricing tiers and models.

It's not just about iPhones and Apple, it's about any product, car, house, etc. of what somebody chooses to spend on based on what they can afford and what they actually need. Again, consumers have options. When somebody decides to purchase a $1000 iPhone, some can afford it and some cannot, but you have to assess your debt to credit ratio and your overall interests with the device to make that assessment to begin with.

18. drygioni macrumors member

They've started losing creative types to PC, I know a few designers/illustrators who wouldn't even consider the prices on the most recent MacBook Pros. Apple have a lot of fans who aren't that well off but would stretch a bit more because of the quality of the product. They can only stretch so much, especially with the weaker pound in the UK.

One ardent iPhone fan I work with has switched to a Samsung S8. I like Apple kit, but this guy was obsessed, probably has hundreds of posts on here. He's been looking at the iPhone 8 rumours for months and the NYT story about the likely price swung it for him.

19. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

I agree, that's why we are seeing the Edition version on the Apple Watch for example, I would love to see a Ceramic Apple IPhone! Not sure if this next iPhone will be called the Edition tho. But as you say it's aimed at particular people which is why there are different versions at different prices.

The Apple Watch Edition is around £1,299 for the 42mm so I don't see Apple having a problem pricing the iPhone 8/Edition at around the same price.

20. pika2000 macrumors 601

Same can be said for $1000 handbags, or $100k cars, but those exist as well.
    Just because a product exist doesn't mean you must force other people not to buy it.

I miss the days where people simply buy what they need, not complaining about what they are not buying.

21. pmau macrumors 68000

People will complain, say "Never ever would I buy" ... and then they buy anyways.
    Apple knows all of this.
    ... and you know too. You are just upset about it.

EDIIT:

I expect it to be $1200 in black / premium.
    The 999 rumour will not be for the most "edition" high end material.

Since I skipped 6s and 7, I will go as high as Euro 1399, I don't care.

22. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

You can add Apple care at any time now within the first twelve months. I see no reason to add it day one anynore (I honestly don’t think it adds much value unless your phone is a total loss anyway, but that’s another thread).

As far as taxes, that’s the same on anything you buy really. In terms of device quality this thing is going to be competing directly with the note 8. Smaller screen, but on all other fronts, pretty much the same damn thing (based on rumors of course). That phone is $949?

I’m not thrilled for a $1000 iPhone. And I’m not sold on getting one yet either. I’ll have to weigh my options. Hopefully carriers stay competitive with their “free with trade” pricing they’ve been doing for iPhones the last few years. That deal has been better than any deal they’ve offered on galaxy devices, tbh. Of course, you have to keep the phone And service the full two years to capitalize on that.

23. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

I suppose we are now entering the era where 'the latest iPhone' is not just one particular model but two or three. We are certainly in an era where iPhones are ten a penny and no longer the flashy device they once were. That has been the case for a few years now due to popularity. I can see the iPhone 8 being the rarer version that forces Apple to put more effort into the mainstream model next year.

24. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

I think it's because they are catering to different people just like they do with the iPad and iPad Pro range, MacBook and MacBook Pro range, iMac and the new iMac Pro later this year, Apple Watch and the Apple Watch Edition, and now the iPhone (7s and 7s Plus) and the iPhone Edition (or whatever they call it).

25. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

Apple will keep charging the price that consumers will pay. If Apple misses their sales estimates for Q4 2017 and/or Q1 2018, then expect to see a change, and fast.