How low in percentage do you let your battery get

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by MacChinoNyc, Nov 9, 2013.

1. MacChinoNyc macrumors 6502

before you plug it in. I'm at 6% since I took it out of the box never charged it before.

2. ccapman670 macrumors regular

I usually charge mine each night even though it's only down to between 50-70% depending on the day. I'm interested to hear some responses though. I'm not sure if it's better to let it drain all the way or keep topping it off.

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

When there is power available, you plug it in. Every time you empty the battery, one of about 1,000 charge cycles is gone. If you're on the road, you use it as long as you can. The MBA will turn itself off when power goes too low, and it will recover when you plug it into power.

----------

If you are in a place where you can "top it up", just leave it plugged in and avoid wasting battery charges for no good reason at all.

4. MacChinoNyc thread starter macrumors 6502

So you always have it plugged in? That kind of defeats the purpose of its great battery life no? :)

I'm sure there are different charging patterns among mba users. Hoping to hear users experience here.

In the meantime….
    *runs for the charger*

5. kage207 macrumors 6502a

I plug in when I get home from class. Otherwise, I just use it like a notebook, in front of the TV or what not. I do discharge it completely once a month though. It is important to exercise all of your battery no matter what (it is a lithium-ion battery and yes they do come pre-calibrated but its important to do it every month).

6. AnorexicPig macrumors 6502

AnorexicPig

Mine is always plugged in, I have almost no use for the great battery life apart from when I travel on Long Haul flights-what a boon :D.

I just make sure to run it down to 20% like once in 10 days or so.

7. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Your battery lasts a lot longer when its plugged in.

"Why should I stop the car engine when I park the car? That's why I bought a car with great mileage, so I don't have to stop the engine when it's not used. "

8. MacChinoNyc thread starter macrumors 6502

How about I rather drive the car since it gets great mileage? :)

9. HarryWarden macrumors 6502a

usually wait until about 80% or less before plugging it in. If you upgrade to a new computer frequently, there's little reason to worry about battery cycles because you won't get even close to the max.

10. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

if you use the battery down to say 80% then charge to 100% then down to 60% then back to 100%. you still wont use 1 cycle. it keeps track and only uses a cycle when the full amount has been used.

I used my 2012 mac air battery every day more then 50% of its charge and after 1 year its battery health was still 93%.

not worth stressing over just use and enjoy. get applecare. if it dies in 2 years get a new battery and move on.

11. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

My mid 2012 MBA has battery life of 89% now, and I often use the battery.

12. MOKHAN macrumors 6502

What?

13. Mrbobb macrumors 601

My battery charging pattern follows my lifestyle and convenience. The only thing I pay attention to is, when it gets to the teens I know I should hit the SAVE button often.

14. B1ueB1aze macrumors member

I use mine until it gets between 30% - 10% and then charge it to full.

15. irDigital0l Guest

10-20% usually.

When I'm playing games I keep it charged though.

16. stayley macrumors member

It's really simple logic as gnasher pointed out. You will just use up the battery faster.

Then again, I do agree that one of the key selling points of this laptop is the battery life and there's definitely no point in getting all sensitive about it. Just use the computer. You are likely to upgrade to a refresh before the battery drops below an acceptable level anyway.

So for me, it depends on the day. Yesterday I just wanted the comfort of not carrying the charger around and I spent all day working with some skype calls and it fell to around 35%. BTW, I was really impressed, I started at 8:30AM, left at 9PM. The battery life is just crazy on this thing.

17. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

Sorry, bad wording.

The battery's capacity is down to 89%, after a bit more than a year's usage. Sometimes I run my battery down to 0%, other times I use it a little and charge it a little. People worry way too much about the deterioration of the battery.

18. cedwhatev macrumors 6502

cedwhatev

I just use it the way I want.. if I want it on battery, I use it on battery. People are wayyy too anal about battery. It's good for 1000 cycles, and if the battery goes, replace it! Simple.

19. robvas macrumors 68020

I try not to let it go any lower than 10%. I really, really try not to let it go any lower than 5%.

20. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I usually charge mine when it gets between 40 to 50%. Part of the reason I bought the new MacBook was for the great battery life. I like the freedom of not plugging in at the coffee shops, like you see almost everyone doing that has a PC laptop.

21. dean1012 macrumors regular

I live about 10 minutes from my job so I go home for lunch.

I charge my 11" 2013 MBA all night as I sleep. I pull it off the charger right as I go to work. I then use it for three hours until it's time for lunch. That gets the battery down to about 80-90% depending on my usage that day.

Then, I charge it during my hour lunch break which puts it back at 100%.

Then the next 5 hours of work gets the battery down to 50-60% depending on usage that day.

When I get home it gets plugged in until I need it so basically it never dies.

22. GTAmissions1 macrumors newbie

I only charge it when I fully drain the battery usually. I can run a few days without a charge on my MacBook Air 2013 model. Mavericks just made it better which at one point, I ran one charge for five days before needing to recharge.

This is why I bought a Macbook Air. Long battery life and very portable. I tried with a Windows PC and it would only last 2 to 4 hours and require constant charging.

23. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery. Just make sure you don't run on AC power exclusively, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

24. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

Charge when I remember, or at 20%. Really, it's usually, "Hmmm, not charged the Air in a while, so I'll charge it now while the solar power is producing more than I am using". Actually thats when I normally charge most of the batteries in various devices lol

25. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Sure. Drive the car. But don't leave the engine running when you're parking it. Not plugging in your MacBook when you are near a charger is stupid.

----------

Except that you use up one of your thousand or so battery charges every day. Would be much better if you kept the charger at work and left the MBA plugged in while you are working.