how many 3GS'rs going to 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jedi5, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Jedi5 macrumors 6502

Jedi5

Curious as to how many of us here still with 3GS plan on upgrading to 4S.

I know many will say wait till the iPhone 5... but when the iPhone 5 comes out, then it will be wait till 5S... no wait till 6.... no wait till 6S

I'm on the fence right now as to whether I will upgrade or not.
    Do I just wait for iOS5 and be happy with that or go all out and get me a new phone?

What are other 3GS owners doing?

2. SooneratND macrumors regular

My battery isn't lasting as long as it used to these days, so I'm jumping in on the 4s.

3. bigpatky macrumors regular

bigpatky

my 3gs is getting really, really slow. no way can i last any longer.

4. alflavor macrumors regular

5. MJedi macrumors 6502a

MJedi

I will. Been waiting to upgrade since I became eligible to get the upgrade price. It has a better camera, video and screen than the 3GS, so for me it's a worthwhile upgrade.

6. mowbr4 macrumors member

I agree, I will be upgrading to the 4s.

I think for any 3Gs owner, a jump to the 4s is similar as a jump from 3G to 4G. It is definitely a significant upgrade for us 3Gs users.

7. kevintech macrumors 6502

I doubt the next iPhone will be called iPhone 5. It'll be called the iPhone 6, hence 6th iPhone

8. Sakic10 macrumors member

I really wanted to wait for the 5 but the 3gs will be unbearably slow with ios5 so to the 4s for me!

9. 0x000000 macrumors 6502

I won't. My battery is fine and even if it was not, I can change the battery for like a hundred bucks at the Apple store, can't I? Considering today's disappointment, I could never be happy with the 4S and frankly I don't ever want to be stuck with a "S"-cycle again.

It's also still speedy, why should it be any less speedy than it was when I bought it?

If I needed a new phone, I'd buy a cheap iPhone 4, because I don't care at all about the new things the 4S has in store.

10. AmereckanPsycho macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (device; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm very excited to get the 4S. My 3GS is still in excellent condition but I am overdue for an upgrade.

11. gillybean macrumors 6502a

I probably will. My 3gs has been running out of battery randomly occasionally now (I think the battery indicator must be off), and is out of space (<1gb free out of 32gb) from all the music & videos & pictures & other stuff it's accumulated over 2+ years of use, and the camera recently had a blurry spot on it.

I was really hoping for a design closer to 3gs than 4 because I do drop my phone onto concrete by accident once every few months and wouldn't want it to shatter, but I guess I'll have to settle for getting some sort of case to protect the 4s.

Main reasons for upgrading would be to get the camera (even though I have a real camera, my phone is my primary camera because I always have it, and the 3gs camera seems outdated now), to get the 64gb (I could use that extra space), and to a lesser degree, to get the Retina display.

Given my experience with past voice-assistant programs, I'm not expecting Siri to be useful for anything. I'll be happy if it's just able to transcribe my thoughts into notes/reminders for me if I dictate while I'm driving.

The newest Android competitor phones do look nice (my wife recently got a MyTouch 4g) and Android does now have most of the apps that I rely on (e.g., LogMeIn ignition), but I'm fairly satisfied with the set of apps I have set up right now and don't see anything compelling enough about Android to make me want to set everything up again.

12. caf9128 macrumors member

Why not just swap in a new battery for $10?

My bad... I was thinking Android.

13. chrism88 macrumors newbie

I will be upgrading to the 4s when i can

I don't think its worth it going from a 4 to a 4s but a 3Gs to 4s is

14. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I will eventually, but not right now. There's no burning desire to upgrade, as I had originally expected.

15. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I'm actually going to jump to the 4. I already have the iPad 2 which has the feature that that really matters, wireless AirPlay. Will never need to use wireless AirPlay with my phone.

A 5mp camera is plenty. The pics I've seen from iP4 look beautiful and I'm almost certain I don't have a real need for Siri. Not a huge gamer, but the ones I do play, I'd rather play on my iPad, so the graphics boost means nothing to me either.

8 gigs is enough for me now because of iCloud. I can get all my music and movies anytime anywhere from either of my devices.

The 4 just seems to fit all my needs. And at 99 bucks, it just seems sweeter.

16. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Grudgingly upgrading to another stop-gap Apple device.

17. Colgin macrumors member

I will upgrade. My 3Gs is seeming pretty long in the tooth to me. I also really need a better camera than what is in the 3Gs.

Just wish I had upgraded to the Iphone 4 back in January when I was eligible on AT&T or in February when the Verizon phone launched.

18. AreYouIn? macrumors 6502a

AreYouIn?

I'm upgrading because I need to replace my 3GS (it has had 3 screens, the bezel is starting to separate, and there is a crack on the back from the pin connector going up about an inch.)

19. DJinTX macrumors 6502

I have been anticipating this upgrade since January. And even though I was hoping for a curved design, I will still likely jump on board. My 3Gs is tired and ready for retirement. Maybe I can find a good case that adds some curve appeal.

20. 184550 Guest

I'll be making the upgrade.

My battery life is horrendous. 100% to 40% in about six hours with no use; stand by only.

21. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

I will pass. I had my heart set on something iPhone 5 like. There's nothing wrong with 4S, it's just that I'm 'old school' smartphone. Does it play my music? Does it take a pic when I want? Does it make phone calls? Does it go on the internet? Then I'm good. Yeah 4 is faster & 4S will be even faster, but I'm never in that much of a hurry that it matters. Siri, App Cards or whatever, and all that doesn't really mean much to me.

I've held to the belief that I will go every other gen with each iPhone. Had 1, I have 3GS, and I'll try to make it to if there is a 5.

I do admit though, it will be difficult. I've been sitting on a $250 gift card from Best Buy, and I set it aside in case there is a 5. If I get impatient... :)

22. Kontext macrumors newbie

I'm not quiet sure yet, but I don't think that I will upgrade. I think my 3GS can hold another year because I really don't want to be the guy that always buys the minor spec bump generation while only a few months later, a completely revamped iPhone is presented. Also, I think I'm partially acting out of spite because of the massive disappointment that was iPhone 4GS.

23. cbronfman macrumors 6502

iPhone 4S think of the "S" as for Steve

I will. My 3GS' home button isn't as responsive as it should be nor is the touch screen. Additionally, GPS could be stronger. My iPad2 is amazingly better so I'm happy to upgrade. My 3GS will be 28 months old by the time the 4S is delivered since I got the former on launch day (06/16). My problem now is what case to get. Does anyone know if all the iP4 cases will work with the iP4S (I assume so) and whether to stay with ATT (which is what I suspect I will do) or try Verizon. I also don't know if I need 64GB. My 3GS is 32GB and I have more than enough space, but I wonder with the vastly improved camera whether I might not want the largest storage.

24. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I'm still using my iPhone 3G. I'm jumping to 4S.

BL.

25. widestload macrumors regular

widestload

I'll be getting one. I'll try and do it without 'upgrading' thought. My current contract gives me unlimited data (thinking this will be very useful with iCloud) and as i regularly use about a Gb a month, the 500mb as standard O2 (uk) currently offer just wont cut it. So i'm hoping they will give me a micro sim and then i'll just buy the phone out right. Sell my 3GS and then sell the 4S when the next iteration comes out :)