How many Apple Watch owners already wear watches?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by BarracksSi, Dec 19, 2015.

?

I own an Apple Watch, and before, I wore regular watches...

1. Never

34 vote(s)
    13.9%
  2. Not since I got a cell phone

40 vote(s)
    16.4%
  3. I've got one that I wear on special occasions

19 vote(s)
    7.8%
  4. I've only worn fitness watches lately (Garmin, Suunto, Polar, etc)

13 vote(s)
    5.3%
  5. I've got a daily beater

66 vote(s)
    27.0%
  6. I have a regular rotation

50 vote(s)
    20.5%
  7. People look at me funny when I say how many I've got

22 vote(s)
    9.0%
  1. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

After I said this in the "Show off..." thread,
    ... the next guy in the thread said to start a poll. So here it is.

I'm not sure whether it's worth our time to further complicate the poll by also asking for non-Apple Watch-owners, so I'll just leave it specifically for those who've gotten one of their own.

2. DadBod630 macrumors regular

I had an Omega sea master on my left wrist and a rolex daytona on the right, still wear em but with the apple watch next to the seamaster.

3. BarracksSi thread starter macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

You're probably count for the "regular rotation" vote, then.

4. DadBod630 macrumors regular

not so much in rotation as all in use at once

5. BarracksSi thread starter macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

Close enough. A little nuts, though. ;-p

6. Mr. Thompson macrumors newbie

People look at me funny when I say how many I've got!

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You wear three watches at once?

8. BarracksSi thread starter macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

(shameless bump)

Five or six years ago, my answer would've been, "Not since I got a cell phone." Around the same time, at work, we started discouraging everyone from carrying their smartphones around all the time -- they really weren't necessary to do our jobs and were proving to be a distraction. Also in the same period, my father-in-law bought me a new suit, and I realized it was uncouth for me to pull out my phone for any reason if I was at a more formal occasion.

So, I wanted to wear a watch again, and especially wanted a nicer watch to go with the suit. I dug out my grandpa's quartz Seiko, but it needed serious help -- not only was the battery dead, but the tabs that hold the movement must have been corroded, too, which let the interior parts rock around as I turned the crown. This led me to look for watches that didn't need regular battery changes, which further pointed me down the rabbit hole of solar-powered quartz watches and traditional mechanicals. Now I've got a half-dozen (two solar quartz, one GPS/HRM, and three automatic mechanicals) and was wearing them regularly up until getting my AW this past August.

9. xsdeus macrumors regular

I was wearing a Daniel Wellington watch on a daily basis, switching out the bands depending on the occasion and season, before I bought an Apple Watch.

Once I bought the Apple Watch, I gave away my Daniel Wellington to my cousin.

10. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

11. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

My answer is people look at me funny, I am a watch collector. I started with G-Shocks, added in Seikos and Citizens, and eventually moved into the Swiss Movements with my Omega Seamster Pro Quartz, Tag Link Chromo Auto, and Doxa 1200T Professional. They all sit since I got my Space Black Apple Watch :)

12. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

I always use to wear a watch, but never cycled between them. Just one watch, the same watch every day. Until I got bored of it, or it got broken and I would buy another and start again.

After using Apple Watch, its REALLY hard to go back.

13. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I have two Citizens watches which I bought to wear on special occassions year ago (weddings, dinner, etc.), but they lost their luster about a year after I purchased them. I purchased a Fitbit about eight months ago that I don't ever use now.

After owning the AW for 5 months and having it screen my texts/calls, it would be hard to wear another watch.

14. BarracksSi thread starter macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

Christmas Day and the count stands at not quite 2/3 of AW owners already regularly wearing a watch.

I started thinking about this question when I read threads complaining about basic wristwatch things like dirt and sweat accumulating under the strap and causing irritation. One guy even developed a nasty rash, and I thought to myself, "Geez, it's like this guy never owned a watch before…"

15. tgibri macrumors newbie

I've got quite a few..rotated between about 6 or 7 watches depending on the outfit..Got a gold AW with blue straps, however contemplating on ordering a gold milanese loop that i came across on amazon to look a bit more premium..

16. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

I started wearing a Seiko Kinetic when my mom gave it to me for graduation. Since then I always wore a watch and for many years it was the same watch every day. About 3-4 years ago I started adding a few more watches and had 7 total. All were about $300-$400 max price tag. Gave half away after the Apple Watch but haven't worn any since the arrival of the Apple Watch. I have several bands now and I do like to change based on what I am wearing or doing. Love the SS Link the best and also the Classic in black.

17. BarracksSi thread starter macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

I almost want to start another poll asking if people used to put "screen protectors" on their regular watches.

I'll dismiss the Rolex owners who never removed the anti-counterfeit sticker, though.

18. IphoneIssues macrumors 65816

I wore watches off and on. When the first galaxy gear dropped, I got it, to go with my Note 3. Ended up stopping my use of it about 2 months after. Ended up leaving to iPhone for one of the same reasons I stopped using. With Samsung, what you see is what you get. Once something is released, it's put on the back-burner. Forbid you have problems, because odds are you won't get support either for a long time or at all.

Got an iPhone 6s Plus in October. Slowly became drawn to the watch. It was the same reason I was attracted to the gear, but I knew it would be different this time. Had it for a couple days now, and it's everything I wanted. Pretty sure I'm going to be Apple for good now, as far as phones go.

19. zetaplus93 macrumors regular

I started wearing watches regularly about 3 years ago, and have since gotten about a dozen (a few needs to go though). With the arrival of the AW in April, the AW has taken over my wrist. But with the arrival of colder weather and mandatory long sleeves, the traditional a have gone back on my left and the AW safely out of sight on my right (to avoid odd stares of someone double-wristing). I anticipate going back to just the AW on my left with the arrival of warmer weather in the spring.

20. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

I own several other watches. I knew I was getting the Apple Watch this Christmas, and still bought another traditional watch. The Apple Watch is a great fitness device, and becoming a great productivity device. It even looks pretty decent.

But, IMO, it doesn't compare to a nice traditional watch when it comes to looks. A traditional watch simply looks more elegant and professional. If I have a date with the wife, or an important meeting, presentation, or conference....or am just doing something that I dress nice for...I wear my traditional watches.

Maybe it just me, and I am also the kind of guy that will leave his watch and iPhone in the bedroom some nights, just to disconnect and be with his wife. I used to be tech crazy, and still am, but I have other priorities as well now.

Anyway, Apple Watch is great, but can't replace a traditional watch on looks.

21. BarracksSi thread starter macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

Back after the holiday break and the poll still sits at over a third of AW owners not already being regular watch wearers.

22. Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

I used to always wear a cheapest model Casio. Now I change out the AW for it only when I'm about to get my hands dirty or in situations where I don't want the AW to distract people. I don't have a thing for fancy watches in general, the cheapo Casios are the best looking watches imo and I got the AW just because I'm a low-intensity gadget geek and I like the functionality.

23. wchigo macrumors 6502

wchigo

I wore watches all the time back when I was in school and eventually fell off for a while. My watches were mainly gifts from my parents and they tended to be pretty simple battery-operated watches with plastic bands.

Fast forward to just under 6 years ago and I bought a watch after coming to China to start my new career. A colleague brought me to this place that sold a lot of watches but I assume they were mostly knock-offs; the one I bought worked, but I would have to reset the time properly every morning when I woke up since it would die in the middle of the night. It eventually became too much of a hassle and I stopped again.

At the tail end of 2013, I went back home for vacation and eventually bought myself a nice looking MK watch as it was on sale and I was in the market for a watch. I also have to wear a suit to work and thought it would match the occasion. Shortly thereafter, my boss gave me a Pebble watch to use for work and the MK got shelved.

I wore the Pebble for around a year until the Apple Watch came out and having used a smartwatch for a fairly lengthy period of time, I knew what I was getting into and knew I wanted it for deeper integration with iOS. It doesn't hurt that the AW looks a fair bit nicer than the regular Pebble.

So while I wasn't necessarily wearing mechanical watches for a long time up until the release of the AW, I was at least wearing some type of watch. :p

24. easheer macrumors regular

easheer

I always have had a regular rotation and found me leaving the AW out of the rotation more and more, which is why I eventually sold it. I gave the AW a fair chance, I just couldn't help wanting to wear my mechanical watch collection.

25. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

i have a collection of watches (rolex, IWC, AP) and i haven't worn any of them since i bought the apple watch around thanksgiving. i seriously considered wearing two watches, but i realized that would be lame.