How many applications you like keeping on your Dock?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by techguy40, Mar 21, 2008.

1. techguy40 macrumors regular

How many applications you like keeping on your Dock?

Or you guys like putting every application you have on your Dock?

Do any of you guys like putting it on your desktop as shortcuts than your dock?

2. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

I put my most used programs on the dock, currently have 16 icons on there including Finder, Dashboard, Time Machine and System Prefs. Along with Stacks of my Wallpapers and Downloads folders and of course the trash.

3. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

i try to keep it minimal like 5-7 apps.
    I guess im stuck in my old stingy ways fearing that anything on the screen will eat up valuable ram and cpu... yes even on an octo.
    Every bit counts

4. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

+1
    The only apps that show in my dock are the ones currently running, and I have it hidden anyway (waste of screen real estate).

5. acxz macrumors regular

I have 10 icons in my dock atm: Finder, 7 apps, a stack and the Trash. I tried having just about every app in my dock for a few days but I hated it. If I need to launch an app that isn't in my dock I hit CMD + Space and type in the name to launch it from Spotlight.

6. yoppie macrumors 6502a

I have 5 applications in my dock. They're my most used applications so they've earned their space. Applications not in my top 5 are launched by using spotlight.

7. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

::Lisa::

I like to keep the ones I use the most in there. There are 8 actual apps + 3 stacks and the trash.

8. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

as little as possible on my imac but my pb i like to show off so i have ton -- all the FCS apps and CS3 web design apps :p

9. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

10. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

9 Icons in My Dash Because They Are Open Otherwise It Would just Be Finder And Trash Can

11. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Why do you type like that?

Anyway, I have 24 things in my MB's dock including stacks and the Trash.

Finder
    Dashboard
    Mail
    Safari
    Camino
    Firefox
    iChat
    Address Book
    Skitch
    iCal
    Word
    iTunes
    iPhoto
    iMovie
    Garageband
    Spaces
    Time Machine
    Photo Booth
    System Prefs
    ---------------
    Applications
    Downloads
    Pictures
    Trash.......

12. keehun macrumors regular

I like to keep my dock simple as possible. And yes, I did try going for every icon on there, but after a while, it got boring. :rolleyes:

Right now I have:

Finder
    Mail
    iCal
    iChat
    Safari
    iTunes
    Transmit
    TextMate
    Pages
    XCode

---

Applications
    Downloads
    Trash

This is clean, and works fine for me.

13. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

Finder, word, excel, TB, SB, FX, Webkit, Songbird, Minefield, Powerpoint, iTunes, Illustrator, Adium, fan control

Attached Files:

14. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

I have Dashboard there when I don't actually need it there (I've just become used to having it there) and Flash that I rarely use (the icon balances out the color of my Dock).

Apart from those, I use all my others on a regular basis (well, technically I use Dashboard a lot but I never use the icon), and I also have three stacks and trash, all of which I use regularly too.

I need to have a variety of colored app icons though. I wouldn't be able to have a dock with no vibrant colours (thanks CS3!). Just something I wouldn't be able to stand.

I also like having the dock there all the time. It can tell me some useful information (Adium and Mail) as well as make my screen less bare, since Apple likes it's whole minimalism thing.

15. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Finder, Mail, iTunes, Adium and Safari. For everything else I use Quicksilver.

16. keehun macrumors regular

Since Safari uses the WebKit engine, are there any distinctive advantages of the WebKit browser instead of Safari?

17. Island Dog macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

I have about 15-20. I just keep the most used apps on the dock.

18. macsrules macrumors regular

I have found this is the best technique for seeing using your screen and dock features. Here is the way I do it.

1. Download and install Quicksilver from http://www.blacktree.com/ This application will change the way you use your Mac for life. I could not go back to not using my Mac without this App. Oh Ya, change the look to Bezel in the Appearance of Quicksilver prefs, it looks better.

2. Once you have that installed and running, it is time to move to your dock. In the Dock put the Applications that you use the most and are the most important. I like seeing those apps while I am working in my dock.

3. Buy this trackball from logitech http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/trackballs/devices/156&cl=us,en You can pick it up at most any retailer, Best Buy, Radio Shack, ect... This trackball is awesome because it has four buttons and only cost 20 bucks. Once you use a trackball you will never and I mean never go back to a mouse, trust me ;) This trackball comes with software so you can add key commands to some of the buttons. This will come in handy in a little while.

4. Next, Download and install this piece of software it is free and here is the site http://www.app4mac.com/action_view_freeware.lasso?-token=($Var_sess_productfree)&-session=WEBS:4758F1DB07d6c29E5Ekhu12C7DF0

In the controls you can set a keyboard shortcut to activate it. Before you do this. Go to the system folder. You would have installed the logitech software that came with your trackball. Turn spaces off. Now, in the logitech Prefs Pane set one of the buttons to one of your spaces keyboard shortcut. Set what you want Rapido Start to be on the other. Then go activate spaces and set it to that key command. Then go to the application Rapido Start and set the key shortcut to the one you set on the other logitech button. Oh ya, the prefs for this application are on the right corner of the pop up window.

Your done, now you can access Rapido Start and Spaces from clicking buttons on your trackball. One last thing, with Rapido Start activated Drag all your applications into the Rapido Start window. Now you can see all your applications when you need to with a click of your mouse button. All the ones you always use will be in your dock.

Works like a charm!

Leave me some feedback and tell me what you think?

19. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

I have: (from left to right)

Finder
    Safari
    Apple Mail
    iCal
    iTunes
    Adobe Photoshop CS2
    Downloads stack
    Trash

Total: 8 icons/applications

20. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

i consolidated most of my dock to just the finder and a stack with my most frequently used Apps.

21. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

Finder
    Safari
    Adium
    Applications Stack
    QuickList Stack(iTunes+Mail)
    Downloads
    Tras

22. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

Finder
    Safari
    Mail
    Preferences
    Applications Stack
    Downloads Stack
    Trash

23. pusman83 macrumors regular

Finder
    Firefox
    Adium
    iTunes
    iPhoto
    Word
    iSync
    Settings
    -------
    Apps
    Docs
    School stack
    Movies
    Downloads

Trash

24. techguy40 thread starter macrumors regular

Application stack seems like a good idea.

How do I create one?

Thanks