Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ultravegeta1981

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2017
Turkey
Perhaps, but I saw one poster who revealed his private financial situation right here; if they indeed were telling the truth. You can ask anything; people volunteer information. That is a choice.
I did. So what? I've explained Im good to go. I have a contract phone for over 10 years. I pay 50 euro and that's included the phone. I can and I will. I have no savings but have 2 houses in Turkey. So my sons future is kind of good to go.

Velin

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
I'm a corporate lawyer and can comfortably afford the iPhone X (albeit somewhat barely).

iPhoneoXymoron: Can "comfortably afford" it, but "barely."

Also, no way is the OP a corporate lawyer, most certainly not at any major, or even mid-tier, firm. The writing skill in the original post is orders of magnitude below what a junior associate can produce.

Last edited:

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
I'm able to afford it because I don't pay rent and utilities. If I had, I wouldn't be able to afford it with my teacher salary.
[doublepost=1508844146][/doublepost]
Why’s putting something on your credit card means you can’t afford it?!

I put almost everything on credit card simply because I don’t carry cash, don’t want to use my debit card at random places and for online purchases. That really doesn’t mean I can’t afford something.

I don't get that either. I use my credit card for many things but I am $0 in debt because I always pay the full amount at the end of the month and only spend what I can afford.

haqsha23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2017
Mississauga
iPhoneoXymoron: Can "comfortably afford" it, but "barely."

Also, no way is the OP a corporate lawyer, most certainly not at any major, or even mid-tier, firm. The writing skill in the original post is orders of magnitude below what a junior associate can produce.
Hahahahahahaha.
To be fair, while yes the iPhone X is the most expensive. Both the Note 8 and Pixel 2 XL are very, very close behind in price (Samsung was the first to have a high price on the Note 8)

It’s a crappy trend, but that’s the trend for the major premium phones. Consumers demand everything plus the kitchen sink, and then demand even more far as technology packed into a device every year. This demand drives prices up, because it’s not cheap developing and manufacturing it.
I recall reading an article a few years ago which stated that by 2019, $1,000 smartphones will be the new normal. I initially found that prediction hard to believe, but considering how dependent we are smartphones (not to mention how often they are utilized throughout the day) i think eventually people will easily be able to justify to themselves that spending $1,000 on a phone is ok since they use it everyday.

Last edited:

MjWoNeR

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2010
Sweden
No one should buy things they can’t afford.
I lead a healthy lifestyle so I can afford luxuries like the iPhone X comfortably! As soon as the sale of my kidney goes through, I’m golden!!

Droidbricker

Suspended
Sep 13, 2016
The iPhone X is a life-changing, once-in-a-decade product, so I'm not surprised that some people will overextend to buy one. As far as priorities go, I'd have food / shelter / education at the top, followed close by iPhone X. I don't expect anyone to go homeless to buy the iPhone X, all things considered it's a bargain. Back in 1995 I bought a 75 Mhz computer w/ 8 GB RAM and 1 GB HDD for $1300. Now you can get a SUPER COMPUTER IN YOUR POCKET, more than 50x the performance, for just $1000! AMAZING!
This post made me spit coffee all over my iPad Pro. Thank you for proving once again that you are the biggest iPhone X fluffer on this website.

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
probably more than we want to know. Seeing that 69% of Americans have less than 1,000 in their savings account and 34% have ZERO savings

https://www.fool.com/investing/2016/09/25/how-much-does-the-average-american-have-in-their-s.aspx

Thankfully I'm one of the 31%.

It's funny, every time I go to the ATM I can't help but pick up the receipts that people leave lying on the pavement by the machine... and what I've seen isn't all that surprising.

"Checking balance - $14"

"Checking balance - $121"

All but one I've seen recently had less than $1000... most less than $500. I did see one that was $8k but that's it.

I'm single... with a good job... never been married with no kids. I have a few friends paying out a good portion of their income on child support... but I'm not. Keeping the overhead low ya know...

... and I got the 8 Plus because I preferred it over the X. The extra $200 had nothing to do with my decision... but I will apply that money saved towards my monthly light bill. :)

Reactions: Billburns

mdellepi

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2015
Germany
Personally, I've decided to buy one after considering that, after buying it, I will not have to change anything in my present life style (I still might decide to reduce other expenses to compensate a bit, but not because I have to) AND it wouldn't significantly affect my ability to respond to an emergency for a reasonable time, medical or job-related. Of course it's still an unnecessary and avoidable luxury...it is just not an harming one in my case. I hope most people that are considering buying the X are making similar considerations...

Droidbricker

Suspended
Sep 13, 2016
I always hate stats like that. I’m ahead of schedule in my 401a/403b which is somewhat accessible, and I’ve got even more accessible funds in stocks, but I barely have anything in savings. If **** hits the fan, I’ll be fine, but I hate watching money sit in a savings account earn almost no interest.
I agree with this. Why build up a big savings account and earn .05-1% interest when you can invest it and make much more? Savings accounts might have worked in the late 80’s and early 90’s but the baby boomers ruined them like they’ve ruined everything else. I have enough cash on hand to cover a major crisis but most of my savings goes in to my HSA & 403b where it earns a lot more. I’d rather not lend money to the banks at .1% so they can lend it at a much higher rate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Howyalikdemapls

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Sure it's their business and doesn't affect me in any way. I'm actually curious as to whether the financial plight of most people is due to self-inflicted decisions or more circumstantial.

I’m sure there are cases of both, but I truly believe that society and the economy is systematically created to make you poor.

Why is it that when I take out a loan, interest is 6-10%+?

But when I put my money in a bank (which is giving the bank a loan), interest is 1%? It’s total BS.

iScone

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Lots of assumptions floating around this thread. Ultimately, it's none of your business why anyone buys anything and you don't know why they do it. What your judgement about them tell us is about you and your concerns.

I'll be buying the X on Friday but couldn't give a rats if anyone sees it, or what they think. I'm getting it because of what it offers, upgrading from a 7.

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Lots of assumptions floating around this thread. Ultimately, it's none of your business why anyone buys anything and you don't know why they do it. What your judgement about them tell us is about you and your concerns.

I'll be buying the X on Friday but couldn't give a rats if anyone sees it, or what they think. I'm getting it because of what it offers, upgrading from a 7.
+1 to this. This is the attitude I have to buying anything in life - don't care about what people think, it's not a fashion or status symbol for me which for many, sadly, it is. Buy things for your own personal enjoyment and for its use to you, not for the sake of appearing cool or sucking up to peer pressure.

People need to stop buying things to show off or to appear wealthier than they actually are. It's a status thing and it's the reason why so many people are in debt in western society particularly. Stop living beyond your means and buy things for it's actual utility to you and which you can really afford. Similarly, people need to stop passing judgement on others based on what clothes they wear, what car they drive, what phone they have etc. Stop being so shallow.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Back in 1995 I bought a 75 Mhz computer w/ 8 GB RAM and 1 GB HDD for $1300. Now you can get a SUPER COMPUTER IN YOUR POCKET, more than 50x the performance, for just $1000! AMAZING!

Not a chance your computer had 8GB Ram in 1995. Just saying'.....

Reactions: Demo Kit

dontworry

Suspended
Mar 18, 2010
Because sometimes I don’t want to spend the money in some other channel rather than settling the entire credit card bill. Just basic money management.
Do you have a 0% interest card? If not, aren't you just throwing money away on interest charges every month?

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Can junkies afford heroin? :)

(also, I'm not going into any of these 'on the fence' threads. They all seem like click bait, by people who have no intention of buying one, so they are just a mess)

kevmclane

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2017
Why’s putting something on your credit card means you can’t afford it?!

I put almost everything on credit card simply because I don’t carry cash, don’t want to use my debit card at random places and for online purchases. That really doesn’t mean I can’t afford something.

Same. Also to build credit ;)

Reactions: akash.nu

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Thankfully I'm one of the 31%.

It's funny, every time I go to the ATM I can't help but pick up the receipts that people leave lying on the pavement by the machine... and what I've seen isn't all that surprising.

"Checking balance - $14"

"Checking balance - $121"

All but one I've seen recently had less than $1000... most less than $500. I did see one that was $8k but that's it.

I'm single... with a good job... never been married with no kids. I have a few friends paying out a good portion of their income on child support... but I'm not. Keeping the overhead low ya know...

... and I got the 8 Plus because I preferred it over the X. The extra $200 had nothing to do with my decision... but I will apply that money saved towards my monthly light bill. :)

I rarely keep more than $100 in my checking account at all times. It's only used as an account to facilitate credit card payments, mortgage payments, etc. The majority of my cash is in savings (for emergencies), investment portfolios, and 401k.

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
I couldn't afford to pay for it outright as I'm buying a new (or new to me) car soon, but the monthly installments makes it a bit easier to handle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.