How many computers do you own?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Kenzembo1, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Kenzembo1 macrumors 6502

I ask this question because I'm heavily considering purchasing a refurbished 13" macbook pro, however, I'm already the owner of a 2008 2.4 GHz Intel 20" iMac which is a workhorse and does everything that I need and more! The only reason for the new purchase would be convenience in having a unit that is more portable (gives me more flexibility in my day-to-day routine) and so that I have something to take with me when at school, work, or on vacation, etc.

I absolutely LOVE my iMac, as it's the first mac that I've ever bought (brand new last August and still runs great!)...I made the transition after the Dell laptop that I had been using kicked the bucket and I haven't looked back since. I decided to go with the iMac because I realized that I rarely used my computer away from my apartment- going to the Apple store and comparing the 13" whitebook to the 20" iMac (which if I recall was actually cheaper at the time) the decision to go with the iMac seemed like a no-brainer to me!

Fast-forward a year later and I'm still loving my iMac, except for there's still a small part of me that misses the portability of my Dell laptop. I should mention that I have an iPhone 3G that I depend on to get all of my emails and to manage/organize my schedule but it still doesn't replace the functionality of having a laptop. I'm in my last semester of college and I'm thinking about going back to school to get my MBA, so I'm thinking that I can definitely benefit from a more portable computer but I don't know if I like the idea of having/maintaining 2 machines. What would you guys recommend I do in this situation? Is having 2 computers and an iphone overkill? Would it be more wise to sell my iMac and get a nice 24" LCD monitor and a macbook pro?

I know this question is quite common on these forums (it is a buying tips/advice thread afterall :rolleyes:) but I want to hear some feedback from some of the graduate students and/or young (business) professionals on the forums. I'm just not sure if I like the idea of being confined to my apartment whenever I need to get (school) work done...sometimes I wish I could venture off to the nearest Barnes & Nobles and get a coffee and work on my assignments. Sorry for the long-winded thread guys, looking forward to your responses! :apple:

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Many people here have two or more computers. Personally, I have an iMac and old Acer piece of crap which doesn't work (doesn't boot from disk) so I have to use iMac for everything. Todays MBPs all are equal or outperforms your iMac so that's not an issue. If I could choose now, I'd get a MBP and nice 24" monitor + KB and mouse. If you have the money, why not both? You can always sell the iMac if it doesn't get any use

3. jointsmoking macrumors regular

I own 5 that are in use. I upgrade and find some use for the old ones, usually. There are several more working, but not in use, in the garage.

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I own three, all notebooks. One of them is a school issued Lenovo that sits under my bed.

5. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

I did own 2 Macs, a MacBook Pro, and a Alu iMac. I have since sold my iMac to a friends girlfriend, as for the MacBook Pro; I have upgraded to a newer model.

So, now i only have a Unibody MacBook Pro. I do kinda miss having a desktop with a bigger screen. But oh well. A guy can only use so many toys.

6. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

Five. Three of those I use daily, and two are mostly off.

7. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I got 4

MBP 17" (aka 17" iPod)
    iMac 20"
    PowerMac G4 Dual 800 (aka server)
    Gaming PC (aka room heater)

9. Kenzembo1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea, even a year later with all of the improvements being made the new MBP's seem to be about equal or outperform my iMac so that's a non-issue as you said and if anything I would probably be getting an 'upgrade' (albeit one that's not that significant)...I already have an Apple wireless BT keyboard and mouse that I got with my iMac last year. I have the money for a new machine (and it's not like it's burning a hole in my pocket or anything) but just want to make sure that I'm making the best decision. I'm not too keen on maintaining 2 machines, but it is nice to get home from school/work, throw my bag on the floor and browse the web or get an assignment done without having to hook anything up (macbook to monitor, etc.)...that's where it's nice to have a desktop, however, it would also be nice to come home and do the same work in the other room on the couch in front of the t.v. :p

It appears that the majority of forum users have more than just one machine, my question to them is, do you feel the constant need to upgrade every year or so? I think it's more common for people to maintain a desktop for a longer period of time (even if it's somewhat out-dated) and opt for a newer portable device (like a macbook) every couple of years because they get more use out of their laptops and simply use their desktops for music or when performing leisure tasks at home. I still see a lot of people using their iMac G5's (heck, it still makes a regular appearance on the HBO series, "Entourage" lol).

10. LAS.mac macrumors 6502

I actually have two, an iMac 24" which is my main machine. And a Dell Xps 12" which will soon be substituted for a MBA.
    I normally change my computers each 3 years.

11. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

One MacBook Pro for daily use, one Mac Mini for occasional use, and a Powerbook G4 the kids use. I have a Powermac G4 sitting in the corner doing nothing.

12. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Mac Pro 2.8 Octocore, 8GB RAM, 30" & 23" ACDs
    My main computer, used for image editing/storage, internet/office tasks, video encoding and other misc. rubbish. Has Windows 7 installed via BootCamp for gaming on the GTX 275.

MacBook Pro 2.53 C2D, 4GB RAM, 15", 9400/9600 512MB
    My portable machine, frequently used for work and on shoots. Also sees duty whilst travelling as a DVD player. Windows 7 is also installed for games.

iMac 24" 2.33 C2D, 3GB, 7600GT 265MB + 23" ACD
    Other half uses this for her illustration work, as well as being her main machine for pretty much everything else. Windows 7 for games as well

iMac 20" 2.4 C2D, 1GB, 2400 128MB
    Spare iMac, was going to be used as a shared kitchen machine but we've decided not to bother, so it is now for sale.

MacBook 2.4, 4GB, White
    Previous generation MacBook, also used by the other half, but seems to be mainly for sitting on Adium on the sofa. Probably going on sale in a few weeks and we'll share the MBP.

Other misc. bits include a pair of iPhones (3G and a 3GS), an AppleTV and an iPod classic.

13. DavieBoy macrumors 6502

DavieBoy

Home
    24" Alu iMac
    15" G4 iMac
    White Macbook
    17" PowerBook (1.6 Ghz)
    12" PowerBook
    12" iBook

Office
    20" Alu iMac
    17" PowerBook (1Ghz)
    14" iBook

Car
    Mac Mini

Work (which i do not own)
    24" iMac
    20" Alu iMac
    17" iMac
    White Macbook

Guess that puts me at about 10. I'll let you guys know that I am very nice and a some of my stuff is leant out right now. Like a Library, ha.

14. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

MacBook Pro
    iMac
    HP Notebook

I use all of them everyday.

15. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Here are all my computers and their specs.

In use:

Mac mini - Mid-'07. 2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB HDD, GMA 950 GPU. Nothing too exciting. RAM upped from the stock 1 GB to 2 GB. My primary computer.

Power Mac G4 - "Digital Audio." 733 MHz, 1 GB RAM, 60 GB and 40 GB HDDs, nVidia GeForce2 MX. Used primarily as an iTunes server. Light PS work and some HyperCard in Classic. Upgraded RAM from something to 1 GB with a 256 MB stick from a Dimension 4300S. Got the 40 GB HDD from there, too.

Dell Studio 540 - 2.33 GHz Core 2 Quad, 6 GB RAM @ 800 MHz, 750 GB HDD, ATi Radeon 4350 GPU. Gaming computer. Was going to build a 3.4 GHz Pentium 4 HT (Hyper Threading) powered rig with much lesser specs, but found the Studio 540 in the Dell outlet as a scratch and dent. For the record, there was only one minor paint chip on the side. No upgrades yet, but I'd like a more powerful GPU and BD-RW drive eventually. Most powerful computer in the house, and AFAIK, in the neighborhood.

Waiting for use:

Dell Dimension 4300S - 1.6 GHz Pentium 4, 128 MB RAM, no HDD, ATi Rage something GPU; the GPU is comparable to the PowerMac's and of the same family as the original Bondi iMac's GPU. Was going to be my server, but lack of a DVD-RW drive, ethernet port, second HDD bay, and lack of expansion capability hampered that plan.

Toshiba Infinia 7160 - 166 MHz Pentium (no suffix, that's right; original Pentium), a 8 MB RAM (not sure; you'll see why in a second), no HDD, onboard GPU. Waiting to get an IDE HDD for free. Could use the one from my Bondi iMac, but I don't have install disks for it. Had a 1.9 GB HDD with Windows 95 standard, I believe. Cost $2000 new. There was a slightly better 200 MHz model that ran $2700. My dad also got the $449 15'' monitor.

Bondi iMac - The original Rev. A. You know the specs. I think it belonged to Emroy University at one time. Was being used with OS 9 to allow me to utilize the amazing powers of HyperCard. But it's old, and for some reason it can't multitask. Also can't get on the internet. Probably has a virus.

Computers in the house that aren't mine:

Dell XPS 410 - 1.86 GHz Core 2 Duo, 3 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD, nVidia GeForce 7300 LE GPU. Main family computer. Got it Christmas of '06. It was a force to be reckoned with when it was new. Now with Vista, it's just manageable; the PowerMac server is faster at some things. Came with XP SP2 standard. Upped RAM from 1 GB to 3 GB. Replaced the Dimension 4300S I mentioned which literally took 20 minutes to boot and logon.

Dell Studio 1537 - 2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, GMA 4500 something GPU. Mom's laptop. I picked it. Got it scratch and dent from the Dell outlet. Nothing too exciting. Actually slower than the XPS 410.

Gateway convertible notebook - 2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, 80, maybe 60 GB HDD, no clue on the GPU. My dad uses it for work; that's why I don't have detailed specs. He's not a designer or anything, but it makes his work [with spreadsheets mostly] a lot easier. The screen is the size of an 8.5'' x 11'' piece of paper. Very interesting.

That's all. Probably not getting any desktops for awhile, but I'd like a late model PowerBook or previous gen MacBook. Previous gen because I believe the desktop should always be better than the laptop. Might add a RAID 1 setup to the XPS 410.

And for the record, all my computers are in the basement. Pretty close to the cats' litter boxes. There's no room in the room I share with my brother.

16. nullx86 macrumors 6502a

nullx86

My Computers
    iMac 24" - 4GB/640GB/9400M - Oct 2008
    Laptop (Dell Inspiron e1505/6400) - T7200/2GB/320GB/Airport Extreme/GeForce Go 7300/XP Pro SP2 & Ubuntu 9.04
    Dell Vostro a90 - N270/2GB/16GB/wifi/Bluetooth/Retail 10.5.8
    Web Server (Dell Dimension 3000) - P4 3GHz/512MB/80GB/Debian Lenn

Family Computer
    Home Server (Dell XPS 420) - Q6600/4GB/500GB/Ubuntu 9.04/8600 GTS

Grandmother;s/Moms
    Laptop 2 (Dell XPS M1530) - P9300/4GB/320GB/Wireless 1505n/8600M GT/Vista Ultimate

Mom's
    Acer Aspire One - N270/1GB/160GB/Intel 4965AGN/Fedora 10

All of mine are in my room, the Home Server is in the kitchen, and gets used by everyone.

17. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

Our house has 5, but I only use 2 personally. All 5 are used, however.

We have:
    2x 20" 2.0ghz 2007 Aluminum iMacs (running Leopard, iLife 09, and iWork 09, one with 1gb of RAM, and the other with 3gb)
    1x 2.53ghz 13" Unibody MBP (Snow Leopard, iLife 09, iWork 09)
    1x 2007ish Dell Latitude Laptop
    1x 2008ish Lenovo Laptop

The 3gb iMac runs as a server and kitchen computer and is used by all.
    The 1gb iMac is my brother's computer, and used by him only.
    The Dell Latitude is my mom's job issued laptop
    The Lenovo laptop is my dad's job issued laptop
    The MBP is MINE!

All computers are set up on an incredibly oddly set up network (it works, that's the important part).

I personally use the 3gb iMac and the MBP, but have to pretty much fix any computer problems in the house (which very unluckily usually tend to be the Dell's problems).

18. yoppie macrumors 6502a

Our house has three computers that are in use. One Dell and two macs.

We have in our home:

2003 Dell (desktop) - unsure of specs but it runs XP Professional and has a DVD burner. <--- My mom uses this primarily.

2006 Core Duo MacBook - 2GHz, 2GB, 100GB HD, SuperDrive, running Snow Leopard <--- My notebook for school. I use this daily.

2009 Core 2 Duo Mac mini - 2GHz, 4GB, 320GB HD, SuperDrive, running Snow Leopard <--- Mainly used by me at home but mom is learning to use it.

It was completely unintentional but our purchases show that we purchase a new computer every 3 years. That'll change though because I intend to purchase a MacBook Pro sometime next year.

19. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

1x 2008 MacBook Pro [Sig]
    1x Unknown iMac G3 600Mhz - Torrent Box
    1x Custom Gaming PC, E7400@4Ghz, GTX275, 4Gb Ram, currently no OS, when i can W7, will be back up.

20. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

See my sig. :)

My wife and I use three machines regularly.

#1 - 17" white iMac. 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 3GB RAM, 160GB hard drive (NEED to upgrade!), Superdrive, ATI X1600 w/128MB, running Snow Leopard.

#2 - 13" white Macbook. 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 160GB hard drive, Combo drive (grrrr), Intel X3100 (double grrrr), running Snow Leopard.

#3 - HP Mini 1030NR "hackbook." 1.6GHz Intel Atom, 1GB RAM, 16GB SSD, GMA 950, running Snow Leopard (It's dog slow, so probably not for long).

Between the three, I have all I want (for now, at least). OK, I really want dual screens... and it bothers me on the iMac and Macbook b/c they're not an exact match. THEN I would be REALLY happy. ;)

21. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

I own two. An 20" Alu iMac, and a 12" iBook. I don't get a whole use out of my iBook, but I like to have it in a pinch or if I'm traveling, which is rarely.

22. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Depending on when you ask, it could be from 1 to 4 computers.

Right now, I own 4 - an 20" iMac (my main computer), a ThinkPad T40 (my main laptop), an MacBook with a cracked LCD (will be my main laptop after/if I fix the LCD), and a Mac mini (currently sits as a DVD player mainly, I might sell it someday).

In a while, after I fix the LCD of the MacBook, I'll sell the T40, so it'd be back to 3, then the Mac mini might go, and it'll be 2.

I'm all over the place :D

23. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

24. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Have two pretty new MB's and one older G4 ibook I will try and get rid of
    if I can get a new HD in it successfully. It's a real pain to replace on those Ibooks.

I'd like to get a new Airport Extreme router, but my old Apple "flying saucer" just won't break.

25. silentnite macrumors 6502a

silentnite

I own a Mac book pro 13" & I have a Mac mini core 2 duo. The mini was my pride & joy until the Mac pro came along. I mostly find myself on the pro as it is easy to move around and having the power to do everything my mini is doing. I will upgrade to a Imac soon, just to have the extra power on hand when needed for video etc when I'm at my desk. I also have a very old windows computer that I built for gaming but have put it away since I went Mac.