Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Used to have a cup of coffee (mocochino or something?) from my cousins bar when I worked there. Only 1 day a week but I haven't been there in months.

Not mad keen on it though. Before I started working there I had no coffee (or tea) at all.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
One cup in the morning, sometimes another in the early afternoon.

Other than that, maybe a cu p of tea, but that's not what you were asking...

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Either a very large and strong latte in the morning, or two espressos. That morning shot of strong coffee is something I find absolutely imperative, and to be savoured; civility, courtesy, tolerance, awareness (and basic mental functioning) seem to follow on from that first coffee. In truth, I am not a morning person.

Other coffees depend on the nature of the day; somedays, I don't have any further coffees. If I meet colleagues, are at seminars, giving classes, meet friends, yes, coffee happens, usually 1-3 cups. If I'm sitting in my study, writing, grading, editing, just listening to music, (or indeed, surfing or browsing the net) then I tend to have mineral water. Cheers.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Same here. Love the smell, can't stand the taste.
Likewise, I like the smell of coffee and pipe smoke but use neither.

Speaking of coffee smell, my friend was allergic to coffee smell. Once we were flying down the Hudson river by the Maxwell House coffee plant. The smell was very strong which was unusual. He mentioned that he wanted to me to take the controls, then explained why. Only person I've known who was allergic to coffee smell.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Either a very large and strong latte in the morning, or two espressos. That morning shot of strong coffee is something I find absolutely imperative, and to be savoured; civility, courtesy, tolerance, awareness (and basic mental functioning) seem to follow on from that first coffee. In truth, I am not a morning person.
Once again, I agree (in re the Glasses/Contacts thread) I find that after having a cup of coffee, I'm more tolerant (I'm not short-fused in general anyway however) and at the same time a bit more 'dominating' if you know what I mean, not in a bad way, but more take charge-ish. I drive more offensively and confidently after a coffee too.

But about being a morning person: There's nothing that beats a good cup of coffee and sitting on the front porch steps watching the sun come up while the world's still asleep :cool: I'm definitely a morning person. I like being up and about on my own.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
Down from eight to three. Hot Lava Java, strength grade 6 on a scale of 1 to 5.

That's the same stuff this household runs on, it was once accidently taken to work and it blew some visitors heads off.

Personally I don't touch the stuff, sheer willpower is what I run on :)

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
About 3-5 cups a year. So not much :D

I drink a mug of tea about 4 times a week.

I really don't drink much fluid - should probably see a doctor. Sometimes I don't drink anything in a day.

you should be drinking 8 cups of water a day. water is essential in helping your body function properly. You may not feel anything, but i bet you're hurting your body by not drinking anything.

as for the original question - zip, nada, nothing, zero.

I tried a sip once back in university and hated it so I haven't touched it since.
Then I started working and saw how many people 'had' to have their cup to start the day b/c they had the shakes etc... and i thought that was very screwed up to be addicted to something like that. I have nothing against coffee drinkers, but i just didn't want to go down that route.

Plus, i hate the smell too. everyone says it's a great smell, but for some reason, my nose just doesn't like it :)

todd2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2005
Danville, VA
I actually like coffee, I just never really developed that habit of drinking it. Usually if I have anything it will be one of these, and that's usually the times I have to work early, and only sleep for like 4 hours :)

Except I like mine with cream and sugar:

dunkin-donuts.jpg

or

Starbucks-Frapp-Bottles1.jpg

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
None whatsoever - I don't drink coffee. Although I enjoy a glass of red wine or a beer every once and a while, in general I try to limit the amount of drugs that I consume as much as possible. Instead I rely on other natural substances to provide me with the daily energy that I need, as well as proper sleeps every night and staying fit and active. For instance, in the spring, summer and fall I go for a run every morning before work and I find that kick-starting my metabolism in that way really keeps me going throughout the day. I also find that following a proper diet gives me all the energy I need and then some. No need or desire for coffee. :cool:

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
None.I don't like coffee plus it's addictive!:)

The other issue with coffee is that many people seem to like to add a lot of cream and sugar to their cups, or order those monstrosities from Starbucks loaded with sugar, whipped cream, chocolate and who knows what else which just makes it worse. Drink a cup of coffee like that and you might as well eat a couple Big Macs, as the resulting caloric value of those drinks is off the charts! High in calories and refined sugar - bleh... Although I like to treat myself every once and a while (you need a balance after all!) the issue with coffee is that many people have a cup a day, if not more - that's not a treat, that's a habit.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
None whatsoever - I don't drink coffee. Although I enjoy a glass of red wine or a beer every once and a while, in general I try to limit the amount of drugs that I consume as much as possible. Instead I rely on other natural substances to provide me with the daily energy that I need, as well as proper sleeps every night and staying fit and active. For instance, in the spring, summer and fall I go for a run every morning before work and I find that kick-starting my metabolism in that way really keeps me going throughout the day. I also find that following a proper diet gives me all the energy I need and then some. No need or desire for coffee. :cool:
Very good points!

The other issue with coffee is that many people seem to like to add a lot of cream and sugar to their cups, or order those monstrosities from Starbucks loaded with sugar, whipped cream, chocolate and who knows what else which just makes it worse. Drink a cup of coffee like that and you might as well eat a couple Big Macs, as the resulting caloric value of those drinks is off the charts! High in calories and refined sugar - bleh... Although I like to treat myself every once and a while (you need a balance after all!) the issue with coffee is that many people have a cup a day, if not more - that's not a treat, that's a habit.
Funny you say this.

Long time ago, I tried drinking coffee. After adding enough cream and sugar to make it palatable, I figured that I might as well be drinking cream and sugar mixed with warm water. So I didn't pursue coffee after that. :)

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
its used to be one to two a day. but for a long while now is been none at all. on the rare occasion that i then do need a boost or a pick-me-up it works wonders.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Funny you say this.

Long time ago, I tried drinking coffee. After adding enough cream and sugar to make it palatable, I figured that I might as well be drinking cream and sugar mixed with warm water. So I didn't pursue coffee after that. :)

Haha, that's pretty good! I wonder how many people do the same thing but haven't realized that yet - you might be one of the few observant ones to say, "Hey, wait a minute..." ;)

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Haha, that's pretty good! I wonder how many people do the same thing but haven't realized that yet - you might be one of the few observant ones to say, "Hey, wait a minute..." ;)
I don't know.

But I did get a few sugar highs. Looking back on it, I can't believe how much cream and sugar I would add. It was ridiculous.

One nice thing about not drinking coffee, is that I don't need to contribute to the office coffee system. :)

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
I generally have a couple of cups of coffee in the morning on weekdays, and generally 1 extra cup in the afternoon on weekends.

...over the years my coffee consumption has dropped dramatically. In college I drank more coffee than water, I think.

DigiCatRedux

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2008
Somewhere in New England, USA.
2 maximum. I did however have a boss once who would come into work with a 4-tray of Large Coffees in the Morning, then get 4 more by Lunchtime. Every Day...I assumed he was just buying for the other supervisors in the building, until a friend tipped me off nooooo - Guy buys those for Himself.
Guess he was a "Tunnel Rat" in 'Nam, and after a bad stint with heavy drug & alcohol abuse, he saw Jesus in his bathroom mirror one fine day who told him to knock off the B.S. that was going to kill him. That was years ago.
Now all he puts into his system is Caffeine.

* Anything worth doing is worth overdoing?
* If I did that much coffee, I wouldn't be able to feel the sides of my face.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
I drink coffee maybe 2 or 3 days a week at work, plus maybe twice a month on the weekend. I drink more frequently as the weather gets colder though, so that's an average. If I drink coffee on a given day, it's from my purple Apple logo travel mug which holds 16 ounces, with two Splenda and a smattering of fake creamer. We serve really crappy Folger's at work and, as I've been drinking it for 23 years now, my taste buds probably wouldn't know good coffee. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.