How many have tried to sell their iPad and failed

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kevingaffney, Mar 7, 2011.

1. kevingaffney macrumors 6502a

Stuck my ipad on ebay a couple of days back. No interest yet but when I checked today, there is a glut of them on there now. I'm not hopeful of selling and wondered had many others had to give up the ghost on selling theirs

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

what model do you have and whats your asking price.

I sold my iPad 32GB WiFi only in less than 24hrs for $425 on Craigslist and it had a dent in the back, so it was not even in like-new condition, but since I through in the Apple Case the guy didn't care.

Maybe your asking too much for it, or maybe eBay is to flooded with iPads now that its going to get harder for them to sell. I sold mine thw day after the announcement.

3. kevingaffney thread starter macrumors 6502a

Its a 64 gig but dont think i can mention price on this forum. I'm in Ireland where we're not familiar with craiglist. Read other posts suggesting it wasn't a straightforward place to sell it. The shipping costs to US from here are expensive so ideally UK or Ireland sale would suit best

4. pika2000 macrumors 68030

Sounds like you're trying to charge a big price on it then. The benchmark is the refurbished pricing form Apple. You have to go lower than that and tack on some extras. People go to ebay to find deals, not pay MSRP.

5. HXGuy macrumors 68000

When does your auction end? I didn't get any bids on mine until day 3 of a 3 day auction.

6. cyper2002 macrumors newbie

Not tried online yet but I'm content on getting 300 for my 16gb wifi and that's what gazelle is offering. I mentioned I'm selling it to maybe 6 or 7 friends and 4 have expressed interest so I don't think I'll have any problems.

7. kevingaffney thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good idea. Only problem at moment, there are no refurbs in either UK or Irish store to give me a guideline, but I will keep checking. Going to check some other European stores

8. kevingaffney thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have seven days to go still so I suppose there's still plenty of time

9. Darrensk8 macrumors 6502

Darrensk8

I think you need to be realistic with price. i put mine up starting at 99p went for £285, with dock and case
    It will sell if price is right

Mine was 32gb wifi

10. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

I'd buy a like new one for like 275-300 definitely. I haven't seen that kind of price on them though...

11. patp Guest

i think the issue for the op is price and location. If you were stateside you probably would've sold it already. Buyers don't want to hassle with international shipping.

Not to say there aren't buyers in your area. Just thinking about the economics of shipping etc.

I would suggest, come down on the price some. maybe throw in a case or some accessory. Sweeten the deal.

12. dread macrumors 6502a

I just kept lowering the price on my 32 gb wifi until someone bought it on craigs list. Started at 450 ended up selling at 380 with Apple case. It sucks that Apple did the refurb pricing immediately since their loyal customers are trying to get rid of their iPads. Still If I can pay $250 and upgrade my ipad every year I will be happy. Next year I will sell before the announcement.

13. shstiger2009 macrumors 6502

You will get bids, even if it's in the last 5 minutes. If you have watchers, you'll get bids.

14. kevingaffney thread starter macrumors 6502a

Iv'e included the case and original boxes. It's similarly priced to many others but admittedly there are a few that look like give aways. maybe when theyre sold, I might see some movement. Mind you Im not desperate to sell thankfully. If I'm left with it, the original is still great

15. kevingaffney thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK found same model refurb on German store and theyre looking for 519 euros.
    Thats 50 more than I'm looking for and I'm including a case. Maybe I'm not too far off the mark after all. Hopefully

16. Coukos34 macrumors 6502

How can you spin that around on apple? :rolleyes: They are in the business of selling products and need to get rid of inventory quick. It's not your fault you waited until now to try and sell. If your such a "loyal customer", you should have sold before announcement knowing you would buy anyway. What a ridiculous statement that was...

17. HXGuy macrumors 68000

Are you saying saying you started your auction at 469 Euros?

You're supposed to start lower and let people do a bit of a bidding war.

18. kevingaffney thread starter macrumors 6502a

Woops. I'm new to this. I thought 470 was a kind of reserve. What should I change this to do you think?

19. HXGuy macrumors 68000

I don't know, 250? If the iPad is in good shape and proper pictures are taken, there is no reason why it shouldn't sell.

How many days did you do the auction for?

20. pika2000 macrumors 68030

That's a good starting point. Now look at how much others are selling theirs for. You want to stay close to what the market can bear, not what you think you want it to be.

You do have one problem. As the release date of the iPad 2 is getting closer, there will be more and more people trying to sell their iPad 1s. As the supply is becoming plentiful, you have to be more aggressive on your pricing if you want to get noticed.

Welcome to the world of free market and the art of trading. :)

21. kevingaffney thread starter macrumors 6502a

I did it for ten days. Gonna take you advice and update my ad now.
    Will keep you updated. I presume I don't have to sell if I'm not happy with price

22. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Try gazelle.com. I locked in $560 for my 64g 3g which is good for 30 days. I know the price may be a bit low, but i cant deal with CL and definitely not ebay. This way, i can get the new ipad, compare the two, and if im convinced the ipad 2 is a big enough improvement, i can send my ipad to gazelle. If they come back with some bs that my ipad is not in the condition i claimed, ill tell them to send it back and ill still have time to return the ipad2 to apple.

23. HXGuy macrumors 68000

10 days is way too long. What's the point? Someone bidding on day 1 or 2 is not going to want to wait around another 8-9 days for the auction to end.

I would do a 3 day auction. Not sure if you can change it now or you have to start all over, depends how many days you have left.

And if you get a bid, you do have to sell it, you can't really change your mind unless it's no longer available for sale...interpret that how you will. :) You can cancel bids unless it gets within 24 hours of the auction end (or is it 12 hours? I forget).

24. dread macrumors 6502a

They could make the same money if they started that policy a week later. I am such a loyal customer that I don't want to be without my gadget for long. Not sure what your problem is. Why don't you go cuddle your picture of steve jobs.

25. me2000 macrumors 6502

Sold mine in hours on iPad 2 announcement day!

These things move themselves if they're priced right.