How Many LOTR Devotees?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Huntn, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Lord of the Rings that is- If so, feel free to post trivia questions! I've read the books including the Hobbit 3 times. Here are mine:

1. What significant character was left out of LOTR- The Fellowship of the Ring?

2. In the movie Return of the King, how were the post war events misrepresented regarding the Shire?

3. How was the participation of The Dead (Dead Men of Dunharrow) misrepresented in the movie Return of the King?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I won't steal anyone else's thunder so I will just answer #1

Tom Bombadil

3. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

They completed omitted Saruman's escape and takeover of the Shire (and subsequent death at Wormtongue's hand). The Scouring of the Shire is only mentioned as a "future vision" by Galadriel's Mirror.

4. Funkatronic macrumors 6502

Funkatronic

Glorfindel.

5. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Thumbs up!

Thumbs up!

The name sounds familiar, but I don't remember. I was thinking of Tom Bombadil when I asked this question.

Happy Holidays!

6. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

Here's one of the more challenging LOTR trivia questions:

How many hobbits possessed the ring?

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I will take a quick stab :)

Bilbo of course
    And Frodo

If you count Smeagol as a Hobbit, then he and his buddy Deagol
    Cause Deagol found it and Smeagol stole it

Sam had it for a time

That's a quick guess off the top of my head

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

9. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

Bing, bing, bing - - we have a winner!

10. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

Glorfindel? Come now. He was one of the most powerful Elf-lords of the Third Age. It was a tragedy (one of many) that he was replaced by Arwen, who had no business there at all.

In the film the King of the Dead and his host are seen disembarking the Corsairs of Umbar at Harlond, the port of Minas Tirith and "fighting" at the battle of the Pelennor Fields. Whereas in the books the Shadow host fought the Umbar and Haradrim at Pelargir, the Havens of Gondor, thus fulfilling their oath to Isildur's heir prior to Aragorn et al. even setting sail for Minas Tirith.

Anyway, here's a more tricky trivia question:

In the Battle of Dagorlad, as represented by the opening sequence of the first film, what is incorrect about Isildur's actions when facing Sauron?

11. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

You could argue that Arwen's presence in the movies was *all* business. ;)

12. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

^^^
    Unfortunately, they felt they had to beef up Arwen's part in the movie to appeal to today's movie generation. When I first saw the movies, I was confused :confused:

Edit: you are exactly right dmr727

13. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I've never had a problem with that sort of thing. They're in the business of making money, so if they have to fiddle with the story to make it more mainstream, I understand. I still enjoyed the movies just fine.

14. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I have enjoyed the movies multiple times in fact :D
    And I was surprised they were as faithful to the books as they were

15. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Meh, they were mostly faithful, at best. I was extremely annoyed at many of the things that were left out or tweaked, including their complete removal of Tom Bombadil and the Scouring of the Shire, and elevating Arwen to Glorfindel's position. Also, the way they just kind of "shrugged off" Saruman really ticked me off.

However, with that said, I still adore the films. I tear up EVERY SINGLE TIME I see the ending, with thousands bowing to four hobbits. The landscapes were perfect and absolutely beautiful. Casting was amazing. The Balrog was exactly as I have always imagined it. If the films can still introduce new generations to Tolkien's world even with the annoyances, tweaks, and changes, then I'm still all for it.

16. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

^^^
    I think they crammed about as much as they could in 3 long epic movies
    They had to leave some things out or they would have still been filming

I agree about the things you mentioned, Bombadil, Arwen, et. al., as well as the other inconsistencies already noted
    But overall, I think they did a nice job

Balrog? Really? I was fairly disappointed with that depiction myself :eek:

17. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Totally! I loved it. Exactly how I had envisioned it. I never in a million years would have picked Elijah Wood for Frodo or Sean Astin for Sam, but now I can't imagine anyone else doing it better. Rosie Cotton was spot on, as were Gandalf and Gimli. I'm still on the fence about Arwen - Liv Tyler just didn't seem like the best choice for me.

18. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Strider was perfect too
    But I was not so happy with Bilbo
    Or with Cate Blanchett as Galadriel

Overall, I think the casting was spot on though

19. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

Haha.. Touché! Very true.

But no, I'm too much of a fan of the books to get much enjoyment out of the films. Foaming at the mouth watching those films rather than tearing up. Yes I'm a purist. :)

No one knows the answer to my trivia question? I'll give a hint..... 'Elendil & Glor-Findel'.

20. Huntn, Dec 29, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2010

Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

He did cut the fingers off of Sauron separating the ring from him. I've read the series 3 times, once every 10 years or so. Hopefully someone with a better memory will speak up. :)

I teared up at the battle of Pelennor Fields. Awe inspiring movies do that to me. Three parts- the nasgul descending upon Minas Tirith, The Horsemen of Rohan plowing through the horde, and Legolas Greenleaf single handledly taking down an Oliphant. :)

Loved the Balrog

Loved Cate.

As far as the complaint of Arwen taking Glorfindel's place, isn't the primary difference is that in the movie, she was the one portrayed as going out from Rivendale to fetch Frodo instead of Glorfindel? I don't see that as a huge issue, but it would have been an outstanding trivia questions. :D Arwen did have a relationship with Aragorn, but I don't remember them getting married in Minas Tirith after the battle. Maybe I need to reread LOTR. :)

21. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Just watched all 3 movies in the last 2 days. It was epic! glorious! :D

[​IMG]

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

My family just watched all three extended versions New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. Loved it!

23. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I read the books in grade 5/6 and watched the movies in highschool, I loved the series but can't remember many details now :(

24. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Read it again! ;) The movies are mostly faithful to the books.

I was puzzled why Gandalf told King Theodin in the movie it was a bad idea to go to Helms Deep when in the book he thought that was a good idea... :confused:

25. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I tried reading the book and never got to far beyond the shire. I love the hobbit but the extremely slow paced and detailedness just made reading it for me an exercise in frustration.