Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
This thread needs Stephen Colbert. He's (arguably) the world's most knowledgeable LOTR expert.

Anyways, I read The Hobbit as a youth and did a book report in school on it. Loved it. (I'm not as blown away by the movie adaptations, so far). I then started to read the LOTR trilogy and made it through The Fellowship and part way into The Two Towers before I had to give up. There was just too many characters for me and my less mature brain to keep track of back then. I bet if I reread them now I'd be better equipped, especially since I have the movies to use "for reference". (I really liked the movie adaptations but maybe because I didn't cherish the source text nearly as much.)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I tried reading the book and never got to far beyond the shire. I love the hobbit but the extremely slow paced and detailedness just made reading it for me an exercise in frustration.

This thread needs Stephen Colbert. He's (arguably) the world's most knowledgeable LOTR expert.

Anyways, I read The Hobbit as a youth and did a book report in school on it. Loved it. (I'm not as blown away by the movie adaptations, so far). I then started to read the LOTR trilogy and made it through The Fellowship and part way into The Two Towers before I had to give up. There was just too many characters for me and my less mature brain to keep track of back then. I bet if I reread them now I'd be better equipped, especially since I have the movies to use "for reference". (I really liked the movie adaptations but maybe because I didn't cherish the source text nearly as much.)

Try it again boys (the books)! :)

The Hobbit is the hook, the LOTR is the main event but decidedly darker. Just like Bilbo could wear the ring with no ill consequences, Frodo had a much different experience wearing it. Although they are directly related, the same can be said for the nature of these two stories.

I've read the series 3 times as a 5th grader, in college, and just before the LOTR movies came out to refresh myself.

Love LOTR, hugely disappointed with The Hobbit. I assume you've looked at my comments in The Hobbit thread, I can't stand it, not because it's a bad movie, but because I cherish the original story whose charm has been removed, whose essence has been destroyed. Yes that is a subjective impression and for every one of me, there are 1000's who love the movies. I want to believe that most of them never fell in love with the book. :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Try it again boys (the books)! :)

The Hobbit is the hook, the LOTR is the main event but decidedly darker

I have, I tried LOTR after reading the hobbit. I'll try picking it back up again.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
I want to believe that most of them never fell in love with the book. :)

Yeah, that's kind of how I feel on the matter, as well.

Perhaps one day I'll attempt to tackle the LOTR books again. Before TH:AUJ was released I read the corresponding chapters and found the movie didn't veer too far off course. For TH:TDOS I wasn't able to get my reading in before seeing the film but was kind of annoyed by the changes. I still plan on reading the rest of The Hobbit to remind myself how it was written to be told.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....

I knew the answer to #1, but not the rest.

I am a devotee in bits anyway. I do not like Hobbits (save for Bilbo in the Hobbit), so that's why I have some issues with the books and the films.

Now ask me about Treebeard (Fangorn) go on! :p

There are passages in LoTR I get completely love and then there are others I cannot wrap my brain around. I did enjoy a reread of a few chapters the other night, but names and places are a huge challenge for me.

StephenCampbell

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2009
Thumbs up!

Thumbs up!

The name sounds familiar, but I don't remember. I was thinking of Tom Bombadil when I asked this question.

Happy Holidays!

You've read the books 3 times and you don't remember Glorfindel? The name "sounds familiar?" Err.......

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
This thread makes me want to read LOTR. I haven't even watched the films. I have read The Hobbit and loved it.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
This thread makes me want to read LOTR. I haven't even watched the films. I have read The Hobbit and loved it.

The Hobbit is full of charm, lots of singing, lining up one at a time to go meet Beorn as to not upset him, etc.

LOTR is darker, the burden of carrying the ring brings Frodo down. My opinion, but while the Hobbit failed to capture the spirit of the book, the LOTR movies are masterpieces, very true to the books. Maybe you should see the movies first... or read the books. :)

There are movies where they are so splendid they make me emotional, just because it all comes together and clicks. No, I did not blubber, but several moments in these films gave me "awesome" shivers and I actually shed a tear or two, acknowledging their awesomeness. My voice might haven even cracked if I tried to speak during these scenes. ;)

Spoilers follow...

*When Gandalf frees Theodin of enchantment.
*When Sam tells Frodo (Two Towers) that there are some good things worth fighting for.
*When Gandalf comes down the mountain with reinforcements at Helms Deep.
*When Treebeard tells Merry and Pippen, the Ents are going to war!
*When Faramir rides into overwhelming odds although he knows it's a suicide run, just to please his bastard of a father (Denethor), while Pippen sings a sad song to Denethor while he eats his dinner.

faramir1.jpg

*The cinematography when the nazgul riding their fell beasts descend overhead of Minus Terith attacking the city.
*When the Riders of Rohan arrive on the scene at the Battle of Pelennor Fields.
*The cinematography when the horsemen ride among the Mumakil attacking them.
*When Legolas takes on a Mumakil (largish elephant) by hisself! Awesomeness to the extreme! :D

LOTR_Conquest_huge_elephant_things.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.