How many people are running OS 2.2.1?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSpaz, Sep 27, 2009.

?

Are you running 2.2.1?

1. Yes, I'm running 2.2.1 or lower.

4 vote(s)
    2.4%
  2. No, I'm running 3.0 or higher.

165 vote(s)
    97.6%
  1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I'm just posting a poll to see if I'm the only one who actually likes 2.2.1.

For me, it's all about speed and 2.2.1 feels way snappier than 3.0, 3.0.1 and 3.1. Apps open quicker (especially Text), the graphics animate smoother, there's almost no stuttering and it almost never crashes.

3.0 was bad… 3.0.1 was the same… 3.1 was a little better, but still not as smooth as 2.2.1. Using 3.1 on an iPhone or iPhone 3G is painful, but 2.2.1 is smooth sailing all the way.

Copy and paste is the only thing I used on 3.1, so for me, it's a feature I can live without.

Long live 2.2.1 forever!

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

3. Chris Welch macrumors 6502

3.1 on an iPhone 3G. It runs well enough for my liking. I'm sure it'd run perfectly smooth on a 3GS, and I plan on upgrading soon.

4. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

5. iphones4evry1 macrumors 65816

iphones4evry1

Dude, you are missing so much. There are hot girls on 3.1.
    Seriously, I use the cut/copy/paste on 3.1 all the time. All the time. Yeah, I hated not having cut/copy/paste back on 2.2.1. If you like it, then enjoy. But I need 3.1.

6. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

3.1 also gave my iPhone a blackout. That's another reason I went back to 2.2.1.

Plus it's perfect for me because:

1. It makes me happy
    2. I can't get push notifications because I have no data plan
    3. I can't use MMS because again, I have no data plan
    4. I only use 1 third party app, so I don't really have to worry about 3.0-specific apps
    5. It's solid as a rock.
    6. No stupid black-outs.
    7. MobileSMS doesn't revert to landscape when I set the iPhone in my lap… I used to hate that on 3.1 because I would have to pick it up and wait for it to switch back… grrrr.
    8. I never once used Spotlight (except for habitually flicking my screen for no reason).

I'm thinking about putting 2.2.1 back on my girlfriend's iPhone too because she's been having a ton of problems on 3.0.

7. juswest macrumors regular

I've noticed no difference between 2.2.1 and 3.0-3.1 honestly

8. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

I've been thinking about downgrading for some stability, but I use the new features all the time. That said, i'll give Apple a few more weeks and if they don't update i'll downgrade.

9. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

You're either lucky to not notice things like that or you're using an iPhone 3GS.

10. juswest macrumors regular

Regular ol 3G...same performance as when I got the phone in March...

11. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Um...no. I don't run Win 3.1 or Mac OS 8.6, either.

12. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

You would run Mac OS 8.6 if you had a Macintosh Performa 630CD! That's my point! The iPhone 3G is old hardware and old software is what it's meant to run. When you go and run 3.1 on a slower system, it's going to bog down because of all the features Apple has added.

I'm extremely happy with 2.2.1. I always feel like I want to upgrade, but I get so fed up so quickly with it that I have to revert back to 2.2.1 where everything is fast and stable. It's amazing… trust me. Once you go back and try 2.2.1 again, you'll be like "Whoa, this thing flies now!".

Once you've been running 3.0/3.1 for a while, you probably forgot how much more responsive your iPhone used to be. It's just a trick… once you get used to it, it seems "normal" to you… but it's not normal.

13. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

To answer the original question:
    No one is using outdated system software on their iPhone except you. (Your poll also seems to be showing this as well.)

My 3G and my even Mom's 2G function just fine with the new software. The minimal slowdown caused by the update to 3.0+ is practically unnoticeable, and the added functions are well worth it to everyone except you.

I'll never understand why you keep starting threads which practically beg people to flame you...

14. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

So I'm the only one running 2.2.1? Interesting. Guess it's because I really just want my phone to be as fast and stable as possible and it's just not like that on 3.1.

I think I've gotten my kick out of the iPhone but the magic is wearing off and I'm not going to buy an iPhone 3GS just to have a fast reliable iPhone. Especially since the last time I bought a 3GS, I had issues with it so I returned it.

Who cares if 2.2.1 is outdated, does that make it stop working? No. I got along fine on 2.x back in the day and I'm still enjoying it now.

3.x is crap and I won't be truly happy with it until they make it like 2.1.1.

I just wanted to see if there are other people who enjoy 2.2.1 like me. I guess I'm one of the only ones smart enough to actually know how to downgrade. Most iPhone userss upgraded and they can't downgrade even if they want to. Not everyone knows about pwnagetool and various downgrade tricks. I've been I'm the Apple touch-screen game since almost the beginning.

The other day I actually got my first gen iPod touch to downgrade from 3.1 to 1.1.1. Hehe. That was an interesting event.

15. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Not really.

16. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

With less features?

Brilliant.

No, your just the only one 'that' bothered about downgrading.
    Anybody who wanted to, could find out in 5 minutes, but they dont, they like having the latest software with all the latest features.

Amazing... Crazy days

17. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

I was glad to see the back of 2.2 software

2.2 broke distances for uk users in the maps apps and it wasnt fixed for about 6 months

3.x works fine for me, no performance issues and many extras

This is on a 3G

18. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

19. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C144 Safari/528.16)

I thought you left the iPhone and went to a go phone + iPod touch? Did I miss something? Should I really be asking this question?

20. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

Yup, that's it right there. I tried using that search thing, what's it called? www.gewgle.com or something? But I'm just too dumb to figure it out.

21. army91c macrumors 6502a

Haven't I seen like 50 posts from you telling us all how you're going to leave the iPhone and blah blah blah.....

Move on littel man, move on.

22. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I actually stuck my go-phone sim card into my iPhone and I'm using my iPhone like a go-phone now. I've got unlimited texting now, so that's cool too.

I also had AT&T disable my data so I won't get any extra charges.

23. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

That's what I thought as well...Yet somehow I'm not surprised he hasn't left.

24. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

25. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

I actually believe 3.0 was a little snappier on my old 3G than 2.2.1...