How many people have been using iPhones since day one?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mightyjabba, Oct 27, 2014.

1. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

Just curious how many people here bought the original iPhone. I remember it pretty well, because it was the only Apple keynote that really blew me a way. On launch day, I lined up at the local AT&T store (the only place in the area that was supposed to have them) and waited for several hours. The staff were very cagey about telling us how many they were expecting to get, and in the end I had to go home with the 4GB model (remember those?). I later returned it (paying a restocking fee) to get the 8GB. I wrote a little review of it at the time, and it was interesting to read it again if only to be reminded of how many things the original iPhone couldn't do. The part where I tested how long things took to load over Wifi and Edge was particularly eye-opening. That thing was super pokey even on Wifi!

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Sprint didn't get the iPhone until 2011 and then it was the iPhone 4s, a phone I have a hate for. So, I waited a year and got my iPhone 5 on launch day.

So, sorry, I wasn't there in the beginning. I did spend years though hoping that the next year would be the year the iPhone would come to Sprint. :D

3. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Switched to AT&T for the iPhone 3G... then got the iPhone 4, then the Note 2, now the Note 4 :D iPhone doesn't do it for me anymore...

4. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

Launch day for the 3G here. I didn't want to move backwards in speed, so I stayed with the Palm Treo for an extra year.

5. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

I got it within the first couple of months after launch, it was my first smartphone ever. I too got the 4GB version, at the time I was convinced I'd never have more than a few dozen songs on it - so that's all the space I needed...that's what I had an iPod for.

But now I have a 64GB iPhone 5, and a 128GB 6+ on the way. I have thousands of songs, thousands of pictures, and hundreds of videos on one device.

My, have times changed!

6. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Been using since it launched, but not exclusively. It was that and my beloved Nokia N and E series 'Symbian' devices... :)

7. mgs315 macrumors member

Haha, I had the same feeling at the start. I had a Sony NWZA818 MP3 player so figured why both with more than 8GB 3G. Now I'm on a 128GB 6+ and thinking about the same capacity in the iPad Air 2.

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I got the 4S on day one, which was the first iPhone offered by my provider over here.

9. mattroman246 macrumors 6502

mattroman246

10. Alex225 macrumors regular

I was initially cynical of the iPhone! lol

Considered it an expensive designer toy that offered no more than any other smart phone! Very wrong there.

Having owned an LG smart phone for what felt like eternity because it was genuinely so terrible, I had a chance to play with an iPhone 4. That was me converted!!

3 iPhones, an IMac, MacBook Air, three iPods and 3 iPads later and I think I learnt to love Apple products for the right reasons!

Shame I never had the original iPhone!!

11. cababah macrumors 68000

Since the 3G...I remember how big of a deal it was when the iPhone finally got 3G data speeds, MMS messaging...and copy/paste! lol

12. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

13. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

First gen iPod day one.

First gen iPhone day one.

First gen iPad day one.

Sorry, Apple Watch. My Omega isn't giving up my wrist for you.

14. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

15. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I had every model between the original and the 4S but didn't like the design of the 5/5s so skipped those and now have a 6

16. dan1eln1el5en macrumors 6502

dan1eln1el5en

Had actually decided not to have a mobile phone, after using a huge Motorola '3' phone with Symbian.

The iPhone was launched and had a friend who managed to buy 2 from the states, both 8 GB and I got mine for almost free if I helped him jailbreaking it and tell him how.
    after that he "imported" a few more for some other tech geeks.

since the S-series I've been on them (3GS, 4S, 5S and soon 6S :) )

Note: I'm from Denmark, so the iPhone wasn't released here for a year or two after the US release

17. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

2G -> 4 -> 5 -> Note 4
    7 years of iOS. RIP, Apple. They used to be awesome.

18. hamiltonDSi macrumors 68000

hamiltonDSi

I got my Original iPhone in July 2007, upgraded to the 3GS in March 2010 then upgraded to the 4 in November 2010. Skipped the 4s and bought the 5 on launch day, and in March 2014 got the 5s.
    Now I'm using the 6 wich I bought 2 weeks ago (October 2014).

7 years of iOS, 7 years of the same concept.
    iOS has its ups and downs but I love it.
    The iPhone has changed my view on technology.

19. ARSC macrumors 6502

Using apple products since 2000, so ipods, iphone and macbook(powerbook) ipads.

20. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Bought the original on launch day and I've done the same with every model since except the 3G that I bought a couple of weeks after launch.

21. Cavmclaren macrumors member

Not since day one as in launch day but I got the original iphone in jan 2008 been with apple and iphone exclusively ever since. Had every iphone model except the regular 4 and regular 5.

22. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

I have owned every iPhone at launch, except the first one.

3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, 5, 5S, 6

23. FlexPen76 macrumors regular

I have owned them all, including the first gen that I imported into the UK for an enormous amount of cash on eBay, and had to activate using DVD Jon's activation hack in July 2007, and then actually make use of it as a phone in the September after the software hack that came after Geohot's HW hack. (All also includes the iPhone 6 and 6 +, although that's more because I couldn't decide which to keep). Still have the metal back for the 4Gb model because I changed it after I damaged it and the launch retail bag the phone came with somewhere in the attic.

24. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

Switched from Verizon to AT&T for the iPhone 3g and have owned every iphone after that and now have the 6 plus. The 6 plus is by far the most enjoyable one yet.

25. TSKY74 macrumors regular

TSKY74

Moved from T-Mobile to AT&T On Jan 2009 just to get the 3G (first smartphone for me too). Stayed on iPhones ever since, going from the 3G to 4 to 5 and now 6. Got a 4s and 5c from work, so using both a 5c and 6 now.