Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

Amnak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2009
Yesterday I was talking with my aunt about unlimited data on Verizon. She argued that any upgrade to the phone regardless if she bought it on contract or not she would loose unlimited data. I told her that simply wasn't true but I couldn't remember the loophole. Verizon DID do something about moving from 3g to 4g making it impossible to stay unlimited if you had 3g before a partuclar date (correct me if I'm wrong) I think I managed to keep my unlimited LTE by using my friends 4g phone for a month prior to upgrading to the 5 bridging the gap in plans.

My question is anyone else as lucky still maintaining unlimited LTE or 4G?
Should we be worried about the next phone to come or are we permanently grandfathered ?

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
I have unlimited. Paid full price for phone. The other option is to jump ship to T-mobile. I will do that once their 4G and or LTE gets into my market, thats if they still have unlimited.

Comment

Bswartz95

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Columbus, OH
Verizon unlimited. I upgraded to the i5 the day it came out. I had an i4 previously. I paid full retail price for the i5.

Comment

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
Sprint Everything Family Data (Unlimited).

Got it December 25, 2008. Still have it. Had it when I got my iPhone 5 and didn't have to do anything to keep it. Have it now.

No worries about losing it because it's the standard plan on Sprint. No throttling.

Although, since I've had it for so long I still pay the old price for it.

:D

Last edited:
Comment

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
AT&T Unlimited since the first iPhone. Will jump ship the day they force grandfathered unlimited plans to move to metered plans.

Comment

douglas.johnson

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2013
I've had unlimited data with AT&T since iPhone 3G. Never had an issue; just upgrading to the next phone when my contract was up. I have iPhone 5 now, and received my first text message from AT&T about throttling. I ignored the message and continue to use my phone like I normally do and have not received anymore messages. Throttling is BS in my opinion. It's just a way of the company trying to force the consumer to pay MORE for data usage. I'll never give up unlimited.

Comment

Amnak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2009
Glad to hear it's not just me , there is no freedom of unlimited , I've never experienced throttling like some people claim happens. I can't speak for the other unlimited plans but I think from use case that if you can snag Verizon never let it go it's great everywhere !

Comment

Amnak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2009
I've had unlimited data with AT&T since iPhone 3G. Never had an issue; just upgrading to the next phone when my contract was up. I have iPhone 5 now, and received my first text message from AT&T about throttling. I ignored the message and continue to use my phone like I normally do and have not received anymore messages. Throttling is BS in my opinion. It's just a way of the company trying to force the consumer to pay MORE for data usage. I'll never give up unlimited.

I know there had been a study or chart stating people with unlimited still tend to use more date (was it for iPhone?) but regardless we do pay for it and less and less people have unlimited so why bother us we are small on the scale of their networks

Comment

ZhenyaF

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
AT&T unlimited since the first iPhone. I use only 2-3GB a month, but its nice to know that I can use more if I want to, without paying extra for it.

Comment

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
I know there had been a study or chart stating people with unlimited still tend to use more date (was it for iPhone?) but regardless we do pay for it and less and less people have unlimited so why bother us we are small on the scale of their networks
I don't know about that study, but I'll say this. Since Sprint's ill-planned and poorly executed rollout of LTE (of which I still do not have, almost eight months in to my contract) I have used considerably less data.

My wife and I averaged around 1-3GB per month before September 2012. I'm not sure how much she's using lately, but I'll be lucky to break 450mb this month. And it's been that way for a while. Mainly because I'm forced to use WiFi because 3G is so dang slow.

I don't anticpate using much more than I used to on 3G though once Sprint finally get's it's head out of it's butt and get's LTE in Phoenix, Arizona!

Comment

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Still got it on Verizon. I usually use 4-5GB, but got up to 10 last month. It's nice not to have to worry about it or pay for it.

WOW!

10 GB on your phone!

I'm assuming that it is movies, gaming, etc.

If I tried to do 10 Gb worth of movies on my phone...I'd be blind...:p

Comment

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
WOW!

10 GB on your phone!

I'm assuming that it is movies, gaming, etc.

If I tried to do 10 Gb worth of movies on my phone...I'd be blind...:p

Ha! Like I said, it was unusual. I watched the Master's on it all weekend and that put me up there. My daughter also watches cartoons on road trips, so it was a big month. That's why it was so important for me to keep it. Not necessary all year, but there's about 5-6 months when I crush it. Glad to have it still...

Comment

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
Should we be worried about the next phone to come or are we permanently grandfathered ?

Nothing is permanent, they can change the rules and plans anytime they want.

Have AT&T UD although my phone only eats around 1-2GB.

Comment

ToyGun1

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2012
Unlimited data here with Three uk paying £12.90 Monthly
Last month usage with tethering 156GB.:p

Comment

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
Yesterday I was talking with my aunt about unlimited data on Verizon. She argued that any upgrade to the phone regardless if she bought it on contract or not she would loose unlimited data. I told her that simply wasn't true but I couldn't remember the loophole. Verizon DID do something about moving from 3g to 4g making it impossible to stay unlimited if you had 3g before a partuclar date (correct me if I'm wrong) I think I managed to keep my unlimited LTE by using my friends 4g phone for a month prior to upgrading to the 5 bridging the gap in plans.

Everyone on t-mobile has unlimited data

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.