How many people still have unlimited data on iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Amnak, May 12, 2013.

1. Amnak macrumors 6502

Yesterday I was talking with my aunt about unlimited data on Verizon. She argued that any upgrade to the phone regardless if she bought it on contract or not she would loose unlimited data. I told her that simply wasn't true but I couldn't remember the loophole. Verizon DID do something about moving from 3g to 4g making it impossible to stay unlimited if you had 3g before a partuclar date (correct me if I'm wrong) I think I managed to keep my unlimited LTE by using my friends 4g phone for a month prior to upgrading to the 5 bridging the gap in plans.

My question is anyone else as lucky still maintaining unlimited LTE or 4G?
    Should we be worried about the next phone to come or are we permanently grandfathered ?

2. darster Suspended

I have unlimited. Paid full price for phone. The other option is to jump ship to T-mobile. I will do that once their 4G and or LTE gets into my market, thats if they still have unlimited.

3. Bswartz95 macrumors 6502

Bswartz95

Verizon unlimited. I upgraded to the i5 the day it came out. I had an i4 previously. I paid full retail price for the i5.

4. eyoungren, May 12, 2013
    Last edited: May 12, 2013

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Sprint Everything Family Data (Unlimited).

Got it December 25, 2008. Still have it. Had it when I got my iPhone 5 and didn't have to do anything to keep it. Have it now.

No worries about losing it because it's the standard plan on Sprint. No throttling.

Although, since I've had it for so long I still pay the old price for it.

:D

5. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    AT&T unlimited -- have had it since Day 1 of the very first iPhone.

6. CEmajr macrumors 601

T-Mobile unlimited. Used 11GB last month It's still being offered (for now).

7. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

AT&T Unlimited since the first iPhone. Will jump ship the day they force grandfathered unlimited plans to move to metered plans.

8. comptr macrumors 65816

9. douglas.johnson macrumors newbie

I've had unlimited data with AT&T since iPhone 3G. Never had an issue; just upgrading to the next phone when my contract was up. I have iPhone 5 now, and received my first text message from AT&T about throttling. I ignored the message and continue to use my phone like I normally do and have not received anymore messages. Throttling is BS in my opinion. It's just a way of the company trying to force the consumer to pay MORE for data usage. I'll never give up unlimited.

10. Amnak thread starter macrumors 6502

Glad to hear it's not just me , there is no freedom of unlimited , I've never experienced throttling like some people claim happens. I can't speak for the other unlimited plans but I think from use case that if you can snag Verizon never let it go it's great everywhere !

11. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Still got it on Verizon. I usually use 4-5GB, but got up to 10 last month. It's nice not to have to worry about it or pay for it.

12. Amnak thread starter macrumors 6502

I know there had been a study or chart stating people with unlimited still tend to use more date (was it for iPhone?) but regardless we do pay for it and less and less people have unlimited so why bother us we are small on the scale of their networks

13. ZhenyaF macrumors 6502

AT&T unlimited since the first iPhone. I use only 2-3GB a month, but its nice to know that I can use more if I want to, without paying extra for it.

14. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I don't know about that study, but I'll say this. Since Sprint's ill-planned and poorly executed rollout of LTE (of which I still do not have, almost eight months in to my contract) I have used considerably less data.

My wife and I averaged around 1-3GB per month before September 2012. I'm not sure how much she's using lately, but I'll be lucky to break 450mb this month. And it's been that way for a while. Mainly because I'm forced to use WiFi because 3G is so dang slow.

I don't anticpate using much more than I used to on 3G though once Sprint finally get's it's head out of it's butt and get's LTE in Phoenix, Arizona!

15. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

WOW!

10 GB on your phone!

I'm assuming that it is movies, gaming, etc.

If I tried to do 10 Gb worth of movies on my phone...I'd be blind...:p

16. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Ha! Like I said, it was unusual. I watched the Master's on it all weekend and that put me up there. My daughter also watches cartoons on road trips, so it was a big month. That's why it was so important for me to keep it. Not necessary all year, but there's about 5-6 months when I crush it. Glad to have it still...

17. coolio93 macrumors 6502

I've got unlimited with T-Mobile here in Houston. Used almost 13gigs last month.

18. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Nothing is permanent, they can change the rules and plans anytime they want.

Have AT&T UD although my phone only eats around 1-2GB.

19. ToyGun1 macrumors 6502

Unlimited data here with Three uk paying £12.90 Monthly
    Last month usage with tethering 156GB.:p

20. 617aircav Suspended

I envy you sir.

21. chestvrg macrumors 65816

Are you on the $70/mo simple plan?

----------

This is napalic abuse :D

22. iHeartapple2 macrumors 6502

iHeartapple2

23. soulreaver99 macrumors 68020