How many People Still Using 3G[s]

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JASApplications, Dec 1, 2010.

1. JASApplications macrumors 65816

Hey Guys,

Just wondering how many people are still using their 3G's rather than making the leap to iPhone 4?

If you are still using your 3G are you planning to get the iPhone 5 when it comes out, get the iPhone 4 or stick with your 3G?

I currently have a 3Gs and am probably going to get the iPhone 5 when it is available.

Thanks
    James

2. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I just got a 3GS.

Reasons being: it was cheaper, I'd rather not have both sides of my phone covered in glass, and plus I've never seen an iPhone with that many problems during its launch (Signal, "Insert SIM", Proximity Sensor).

However, the 3GS is just to hold me over until the next iPhone - which I assume will have the kinks figured out.

3. Maccleduff macrumors regular

Its cheaper, fair enough, but I've not experienced any signal, insert sim(?), or proximity sensor issues with the iphone 4. Enjoy your 3GS anyway.

4. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

If it weren't for the screen, I'd still have my 3GS. It's the one thing that made me upgrade. The battery life and everything else is just secondary.

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

My gf is using my 3G pay-as-you-go on AT&T, I'm rocking the 4. I don't see a need to upgrade every year, next one will probably be the 6.

6. JASApplications thread starter macrumors 65816

I agree, The screen on the iPhone 4 is the major major difference between the itself and the 3Gs.

7. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

I got my 3GS Back in December 09' (exactly a year ago), and I will probably sstick with it till December '11 or even wait for the 2012 iPhone 6 (or iPhone 5 if 2011's iPhone is 4S or something.. Whatever)

8. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Well, the fact that they had to have a Press Conference on the Signal (which Apple ignored that shorting out the anntenae was the real cause) and also had said they will address "Promixity Issues" in the next update, and that numerous threads on Apple's own forums (and here) say their iPhone says "Insert SIM" when a SIM is clearly inserted back up my reasons.

I'm not saying all iPhone 4s have issues, but with every major redesign, there are bound to be problems with any device (which will be worked out by future generations).

9. JASApplications thread starter macrumors 65816

Is the 3G working as good as new still? Isn't the Life/Battery Expectancy supposed to be like 2-3 Years?

10. -PsYcHoNoVa- macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I have a 3GS and will keep it until the next iPhone comes out.

11. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

Hey, I have a 1st Gen iPod Touch with iOS 3.1.3 and It's rockin it, I have it on since day one and the battery lasts around a week or even more on standby

The 3G also got 4.2 which is supposed to be faster than 4.1/4.0 that killed it performance-wise

12. JASApplications thread starter macrumors 65816

Sweet that's pretty good!! My 1st Gen iPod Touch went kaputt after about 2 years, luckily I had warranty and Apple were nice and decided to give me a iPod Touch 2G. I couldn't complain!

13. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

As far as I can tell, it was working perfectly when I upgraded to the 4. I had to use my 2G for a couple weeks and the battery has taken a slight hit, but still got me through the day.

14. mallom macrumors regular

3GS is great. I had one, but I sold it overseas for an amazing price. Never EVER had a problem with the 3GS. Very solid device.
    Got myself and my girl the Iphone 4 for the same reason, to sell it overseas. I don't know the reason but we are both eligible for a full upgrade in June. :)

Last week I got a 32gb 3GS for $70 with a bad power button, everything else is working fine. I will fix it and use it as a backup phone.

15. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

I use the iPhone 4 as my phone and my old 3G as my iPod Touch. The battery on the 3G is still as good as it ever was.

16. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

I use an iPhone 4, but until I hot that I stil used my origional edge iPhone, which my wife stil uses. When the iPhone first came out here it was on O2, then the 3G came out, stil only for O2 and as there is no 3G coverage where my wife and I live and work I figured, why bother with a 3G, then the 3Gs came out, and O2 still had the best deal for me, so I stuck with the edge iPhone a while longer. Then the iPhone 4 came out for 3 (three uk) and it was the best deal for me, and three coverage in my area was good so I got that. Next iPhone, the wife will probably get that on three.

17. JASApplications thread starter macrumors 65816

O2 is currently the best network for me. it must suck if you buy a phone with 3G, take it home and realise you can't get a connection!

18. JASApplications thread starter macrumors 65816

were you using it for messages/calls or for everything else the iPhone can do e.g games, videos, safari etc?

19. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

A better question would be who are still using their 3G as many like me (in the US) still have lots of time left on their contract--I've had my 3GS less than a year. :cool:

20. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

Exactly what I'm doing

21. wpotere Guest

Still using my 3G here. 4.2 works a lot better than the 4.0 and 4.1

22. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Buying a 3GS now is a bigger waste of money than "I'll save $100 and buy a 3GS." The iPhone 4's features it has over the 3GS are innumerable. And you double your storage capacity.

23. JASApplications thread starter macrumors 65816

Do you think you will get the next gen iPhone when it comes out?

24. GlynJones macrumors 6502

I had the original 2g iPhone, skipped the 3g and I am on my 3gs now.

My contract expires on the 25th December and I'm eligable for an upgrade but I am unsure whether to get the iPhone 4 or wait 6 months for the next one.

25. andyroochoo macrumors member

Have a 3G running 3.1.3.

Tried all iterations of ios4. I'm my opinion iOS 4 isnt for the iPhone 3G.

I'll get an iPhone 5 if there is something new as I'm not interested in megapixels and gigabytes (althought they do heklp)

The iPhone 3G still offers the best user experience on a mobile phone and doesn't change that much from generation to generation.