How many times have you returned something to the apple store.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by rchip, Aug 22, 2011.

1. rchip macrumors regular

Hey guys! Basically, I'm on my 5th mba so it's quite embarrassing to want to take this machine back as well. 4 of these are from the apple store.

1st one was online.

I bought one from the store, returned it a week later for a replacement as the screen gradient was quite a bit larger than the display models. The second one i returned the same day due to obvious speaker buzz. The one after that had the same problem! So I took that back the next day and got a refund.

The next week I went back to the store and bought a new one, i checked it out in the store and was happy with it, the screen only had a small gradient and I couldn't hear any speaker buzz. After I got it home, I did start to notice speaker buzz but only on very few sounds. I decided to forget about it and think, hey I'm happy with it i'm not really going to even notice it. But now I've had it for longer i'm noticing it on more and more sounds. I happens on speech sometimes from youtube and on love film. For example I was watching napoleon dynamite (hah unfortunately) and at normal listening volume you could hear a metallic zing from the right speaker under the enter speaker.

I know I can take it back to the store but I feel really embarrassed about it. I've had one mba out of five that didn't have this speaker problem, I think I must just be unlucky. Can anyone make me feel better about returning this? Has anyone returned anything five times!? I've delt with the same guy a few times now and he's really helpful, I just hope he's not there if I take this back as I think he will think i'm insane.

I'm happy with the screen on this model and it doesn't creak or anything (no idea if its samsung or lg) but the speaker is irritating me. Bah.

Would you take it back?

2. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

I would not, I'm not THAT anal about my electronics.

But should you? Yes, if it bothers you, and they are willing to accept it.

Worst case scenario is that theyll give you on with a grainy LCD and a bad speaker again :p. But to avoid that (since the display is already good), why not make a genius bar appointment and maybe they could fix it for you? This way youll have a perfect machine.

3. rchip thread starter macrumors regular

Ah I've seen them twice about the speaker problem and they just offer me a new mba and say the problem is strange/unheard of. Yeah I'm sure they will replace it if i go in and ask, I just don't want to come across as a mad man! I wish they could just fix it :(

4. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

have they worked with you to replicate the problem? If it is replicable, then there is no reason for them to give you a new computer if they can just replace the part.

5. rchip thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah they took a listen to it and could hear the issue, on the other machines it was more obvious than on this one. There is another member on the forum who was having the same issue and he took his enter key off and thinks the problem is being caused by a small piece of plastic by the enter key! I think I might just leave it I guess it is more trouble than its worth :rolleyes:

6. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I've never returned any of my apple products but because I've never had any problems (that I noticed at least) but if it's bothering you then just return it or have a friend return it if you're embarrassed to go in again

7. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

When I returned my first MBA they asked for my debit card again, along with ID, so you might not be able to do that, and could cause some problems.

8. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Oh I'm sorry I wasn't aware of that. Still if you think it's going to keep bothering you then you should return it yourself

9. bizzle macrumors 6502a

Zero, because I don't go looking for problems that don't exist.

10. superego macrumors member

You're not unlucky, it's just the awful quality control of Apple. Because of mass production, it's not uncommon to get repeatedly defective laptops. If they are systematically assembled or even designed in the wrong way, the chances are high that the replacement suffers from the same problems. New batches might not have the same problems IF the factory has detected and corrected the issue. Unfortunately for the customers, buying certain Apple products these days is a lottery.

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Once, because the mighty mouse sucked.

EDIT: And it still does.

12. CaliforniaKing macrumors member

When I bought my first Black Macbook, I returned it 10 times!
    1st Macbook: Screen flickering.
    2. Random shutdowns
    3. Overheating
    4. Faulty disc drive. Scratched my copy of COD 4, I made Best Buy compensate
    5. Dead pixels
    6. Broken microphone and headphone jack
    7. Hinge defect
    8. Fried magsafe port
    9. Overheating problems once again!
    10. Yellowish screen

13. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I've returned two cases and a trackpad, because I didn't like them. :apple:

14. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

Thats ridiculous.

15. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I've returned my Macbook Pro after 3 months of owning it. Got full refund back because I complained that the glossy glass panel and low resolution was hurting my eyes and giving me headaches (all true, btw). They were happy to take it back, especially since I told them I'd be switching to the new Air when it comes out this year. Very pleasant experience.

On a separate occasion, I returned a laptop bag still new and unused for a full refund. Also good experience.

16. rchip thread starter macrumors regular

The problem does exist.

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Ah, you're one of those.

18. Esquire1 macrumors member

Why are you embarrassed? They should be for giving you a product you've had to exchange several times.

If I were you, I'd open it up and go through it with a Genius.

19. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

On your 5th, your either very unlucky or your expectations are simply unrealistic , Apple are literally making hundreds of thousands of units and they will be mostly the same barring very some slight manufacturing tolerances.

Apple`s return policy is one of the best and only you can judge if you are exploiting it or not. For the given size of the Air I don't realistically expect the speakers to live with much bigger units of higher quality, equally I do feel that something maybe amiss as my 13 inch speakers do not exhibit any issue unless every thing is turned to maximum and then some level of distortion is to be expected, then again I a viewing the quality in the contest of the Air

20. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I've never had any issues with Apple, but in general, with any brand, I would try three times (if I really, really wanted it). After the third time I'd go get something else.

I can't even think of a single thing I've returned three times... :rolleyes:

21. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

Big reason I love the screen on the Air. Silver bezel means no reflections/glare found on the MBP. And this is coming from someone who owned the 13" MBP for 2 years before selling it for a new Air.

I returned 4 iPhone 3G's in a 2 week period because my original 3G iPhone started to break down and all the refurbs they gave me in return were crap and had different issues. Finally the fourth one was fine but before they handed it to me they said they'd give me a new phone in case it also had problems. (I'm scared of using any refurb'd electronics because of this experience.) They were always very cool and nice about it. Just need to treat the staff with respect and patience. This goes for pretty much any scenario when dealing with sales people.

22. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

It is very true about batches of hardware being manufactured, they will all have similar defects. When I had my windows mobile phone, some of my buttons started acting up so I went for a repair, they had 8 phones in the repair center. All 8 of them had faulty screens. Called AT&T and complained, they had me get a brand new blackberry bold 9000 halfway through my contract.

23. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

3 iPhone 4s (first one because of antenna problem, didn't know at the time it effected all models, then the second because it just died after one week, I've kept the third since) and three MacBook airs (first one had bubbles under the screen, second had numerouse defects, third one perfect so far). And I think that's it. If you have another apple store nearby you could try there, thats what I did and the last one has been perfect so far.

24. drxcm macrumors regular

Zero.

Never had a 'real' issue with any Mac product I've owned.

25. Beanoir macrumors 6502a

Beanoir

yes, i've been back and returned:

- 3 iPhones
    - 2 pairs of Ultimate Ears earphones
    - 1 Airport Express
    - 1 Mighty Mouse

I have had them kink up a stink before, although that was the Oxford St store, for some reason they are a bit snooty there. Never had problems elsewhere.