How much faster is the new Air vs mid '13 Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by questionwonder, Jan 9, 2019.

1. questionwonder macrumors member

I used to run Visual Studio in Windows 10 running on a VM on my Macbook Air mid 2013 1.8 Ghz, 8 Gb RAM, 512GB SSD. Visual Studio would slow down and the fan would almost always be running with full CPU load. And I would have to restart the VM at least once a day.

So I moved to a VM hosted in Azure and I connect through Mac MS RDP client. And it's all good, but I spend about $80/month for this service for a 2.2 Ghz, 8Gb RAM VM.

So, I want to know how much faster the new Air CPU will be and if you think it would be worth going out and buying one and using it to host Windows and Visual Studio again?

I'm trying to find the cheapest solution here!!! I have a $150 Apple gift card and I could trade in my mid 2013 air for ~$200 and I would apply both to the new Air.

I'm fully aware of the Macbook Pro, but I don't want to spend any money. I'm cheap and would rather spend a monthly charge for the Azure service then 2000+ for a Macbook Pro 4 core, 16Gb Ram 256GB SSD bla bla bla. I also want to use a Mac isntead of a Windows laptop as I like the look/feel/form factor/ OS daily use of the Apple laptops.

What would you do?

2. niji Contributor

niji

i own the new MacBook Air with 16GB RAM 1.6GH Dual Intel Core i5(Turbo Boost, max 3.6GHz) , 4MB L3 Cache.
    it is NOT a fast machine, especially when multiple tasks require longer spurts of processing time.
    before i bought this new MacBook Air, i owned the 2015 top model. that machine was quick and kept up.
    this new machine has trouble sometimes in doing what the older machine did easily.
    i think this has a a lot to do how apple changed the way the new machine handles power management so the battery life is increased.
    for my needs the new Macbook Air is still sufficient.
    but i can say that the MacBook Pro is the way to go for you.

3. auxbuss macrumors member

auxbuss

I agree. I like the MBA, but if I needed it for dev work, then I definitely would have gone for the MBP.

4. revmacian macrumors 6502

revmacian

I agree with other posters. I did a lot of research into the 2018 MBA and learned quite a bit. You have to remember that the MBA and MBP are designed for two different demographics and the MBA is not the ideal machine for development work. Save your money and get a MBP.. even a refurbished 2017 MacBook Pro, without Touch Bar, would be a better machine for you needs and save you a lot of money.

5. Howard2k macrumors 68000

Howard2k

Seconded.

6. - rob - macrumors 6502

- rob -

I went from a fully loaded 2015 11" MBA to the 2018 and found it to be a major performance boost. I was concerned by this because I am usually running multiple spaces, docker containers and multiple projects in an IDE and needed the power. Apart from graphics capability, I've been really satisfied with the performance of the 2018, I am using 16GB ram / 2.133 though, especially how much it has been hounded over the low power CPU.

7. chrfr macrumors 604

I'd buy a MacBook Pro and stop spending nearly $1000 a year in Azure charges. The computer will pay for itself in just over 2 years.

8. ascender macrumors 68020

If you need the performance and by the sound of your post you do, I'd go for a MBP every time. I do think that most of the time people know if they need a Pro or not, but some users are just looking to justify spending the extra money or just want to have the best of the best.

9. lpolarityl macrumors 6502

lpolarityl

Why not just build a cheap VMWare host and just remote to that? You can build a host box for less than $500 and just use the free version of ESXi. But I gotta agree, if you need to run a VM and want it to perform better than it did when you ran it locally, you might need something with four cores to handle the load so I would recommend a Pro.

If you don't mind me asking, what is it that you're doing with the VM? Were you using Parallels when you hosted it locally?

10. questionwonder thread starter macrumors member

I was using VMWare, not Parallels. And I was using it to run Windows 10 and Visual Studio for dev work. That's it!

11. axd1152 macrumors member

Buy refurbished macbook pro 13 with touchbar 2018. It is much faster than the non-touchbar model, and it is just 330$ more expensive that the new macbook air if you are buying refurbished from apple and it already comes with 256GB rather than 128GB ssd. That is what I bought and loving it. I am also using VMware fusion and I see no slowdowns.

12. - rob - macrumors 6502

- rob -

I would have considered this if it had Touch ID and no Touch Bar. I loath the Touch Bar and need my esc key. I agree MBA would benefit from a stronger processor

13. axd1152 macrumors member

You can have your esc key on the touchbar, dont see problem with that.

14. - rob - macrumors 6502

- rob -

Come now, that is not a real key.